Bonnet warning when it's shut

mr brian goodman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W211 2.2cdi
Hi my friend has just bought a 2012 e350 he opened the bonnet & the light has come on the dash & won't go out. But the release inside the car also bust or came away from its mount it seams very flimsy. Is there any way of working through what could be wrong as he's just got the car so a little miffed

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
W212 E Class are notorious for this. The bonnet needs a good hard slam from about two feet. Then the warning will go away. The release lever has probably pulled away from its fitting under the dash during your attempts to get the thing sorted. Its an all plastic affair under there, and easily pulled from its mounting. Usually removing the screw, refitting the handle and then replacing the screw is all that is needed.

OP
M

mr brian goodman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W211 2.2cdi
Where is the bonnet switches by the way ??
There wasn't a screw in the bonnet catch lever

Last edited:

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i had this on my E350 cdi (w212), just lubricate/oil the two bonnet switches (one either side of the bonnet in the engine bay as you are looking at it face on) and you should be fine after that,

i used to do the 'slamming' and it got me worried as i had to slam harder and harder to get rid of the message, that was until i got both sides of the bonnet switches well oiled. Then it disappeared.

OP
M

mr brian goodman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W211 2.2cdi
Great advice thanks. Just have to put the handle back in a suppose then be careful when opening it. Plenty of wd lubricant spray it is on the switches/catches either side of the bonnet

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Might not have a screw at all. Some of them just have a couple of plastic barbs on the black bit that push into position. I see so many bloomin' Mercedes it turns into a blur sometimes ;)

OP
M

mr brian goodman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W211 2.2cdi
Yeah it seems like like a couple of sliding clips then 2 plastic pins/studs that push into place eventually. Just seems a pretty poor design

OP
M

mr brian goodman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 W211 2.2cdi
By the way should it also bleep a warning about the bonnet being open. Same sort of noise as forgetting to put your seat belt on

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
By the way should it also bleep a warning about the bonnet being open. Same sort of noise as forgetting to put your seat belt on

Mine (w215) does.

Top Bottom