It is important to get this all in the diy section,,,

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ageing W202 C200 with rust
It is important to get this all in the diy section,,,

I contacted one of the administrators a few days ago, Blobcat, about whether this should go into the DIY section and how to go about it, but I've had no response as yet.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes the lock is now completely functional in manual form with the mechanical key, as I hoped my pictures were able to demonstrate, as the last of them (slightly smaller in size as I refined my method of writing up the thread!) were taken with the lock reassembled. I just skipped from ones taken of the back of my car, with the lock back in place, to ones taken of the lock on my kitchen worktop, to help explain the function. Despite other's written explainations of the lock function to me, which were relevent, the penny didn't drop entirely until I'd unfrozen my lock barrel and was able to see it move and see which part operated what. As something I'd never used before, having only opened the boot by remote releases for 9 years, to have it break then find the lock barrel seized up, I found it hard to fathom how it was supposed to work until I got part of it working again.

Of course at this stage the remote releases don't work because that thin metal lever has had it. I need the lower latch part off a secondhand car that is being broken. Personally I find it slightly criminal that M-B want £200 for a new lock (about £185 + VAT) when all that broke is the thinnest, cheapest part in the whole mechanism. As Anne Robinson would say, it is the Weakest Link.

The car is a 1999 facelift C200 Classic.

OP
rx6180

rx6180

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You’re doing a great job documenting and illustrating the fault, the pictures are extremely useful in explaining the problem.
Have you now gotten the key to turn to the 10 o’clock and 3 o’clock position in the lock barrel?

What year is the car?

Below, some further information that may be of use to you.

See… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105260

Also… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53189

Dec

Mmm. Interesting pictures on the second link you supplied. Obviously they figured how to get at the lock tumblers, while I thought I'd gone as far as I could and resorted to dismantling lubricant and a little bit of pressure and vibration. But seeing as it suggests re-assembly is a two-man operation, and I've done mine alone, perhaps it is a good thing I didn't get that far. You know, even though these pictures are more detailed with arrows and labels, and go further into the mechanism than mine, and I now know how my lock works, I STILL find the pictures slightly difficult to follow! So what does that say about mine, eh? :confused:

Could there be some minor differences between my 1999 boot lock and the 1994 lock shown in this link? I think there might be.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Mmm. Interesting pictures on the second link you supplied. Obviously they figured how to get at the lock tumblers, while I thought I'd gone as far as I could and resorted to dismantling lubricant and a little bit of pressure and vibration. But seeing as it suggests re-assembly is a two-man operation, and I've done mine alone, perhaps it is a good thing I didn't get that far. You know, even though these pictures are more detailed with arrows and labels, and go further into the mechanism than mine, and I now know how my lock works, I STILL find the pictures slightly difficult to follow! So what does that say about mine, eh? :confused:

Could there be some minor differences between my 1999 boot lock and the 1994 lock shown in this link? I think there might be.

No its not you, the pictures only make sense when you have the lock in your hands, the are just a guide, a reference, as you go from one step to the next.

You don’t need to disassemble your lock as your lock is no longer seized, just do what I do, flood the lock barrel with the boot lid in the open position, regularly… about three or four times a year and test the key in the lock.
attachment.php

Scrap yard is your only choice if you want that lock back to electronic operation, at least you can lock it on the slam shut, and you only need the key to unlock.
Try a request here, Spares for Sale and Wanted … http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9 … and reference this thread so as the correct lock type is seen in your pictures.

Dec

Edit; Yes there is a difference between the boot locks up to 1995 and after 1996 however I’m nearly certain that the lock barrel section is the same in the 1994 and 1999.

The difference is evident in the pictures, the 1994 is non-electric and yours is “electric” so has a lot more “baggage” to make it work with the remote and cabin switch.

There are a lot of different versions of locks on the W202 so be sure that a replacement has that “broken” lever.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Still better off using PTFE every 2 years or more

Top Bottom