Boot lock fix

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
It is important that the boot and indeed door lock are working properly.

The use of remote central locking means keys are seldom used to open the boot. This irregular use of the key in the lock over long periods of time can result in corrosion and seizure of the lock mechanism, this can become a big problem if the central locking or vacuum pump fails and the boot can’t be accessed via the key.

If the key can’t enter the lock fully then some of the levers are seized or the key you are using is not the correct key for the lock.
Probably, in 99% of cases, when the key wont turn in the lock there is nothing broken, bent or worn inside the lock, it is just that the mechanism is bone dry and corrosion has built up, adding to the problem, lubrication solves that.

The condition of the lock in Picture A looks a lot worse than it actually was, lubricating it in the way described in the last picture (P) would have solved the problem, without the need to dismantle the whole unit.

This boot lock is non-electric on a 1994 C180 = W202 and is Locked/Unlocked by the vacuum pump or by the key.
After all the components were cleaned up, the only lubricant I used was thick grease, every thing that moves, slides or rotates was given plenty of grease.

Tools required;
Work on the kitchen table over an old towel, to catch any small components, springs etc that may be dropped
Fine sandpaper to wipe the brass levers, don’t over do it, but clean them just enough to allow them to move freely in their slots.
Sewing needle for clearing out slots.
1 Spanner or socket, 12mm.
Needle nose pliers.
Small screwdrivers.
WD40
Thick grease
Allow yourself plenty of time, not a job to be rushed.
Pen and paper to keep track of which lever belongs in which slot when dismantling the lock barrel.

Dec
Edit, anyone know why these pictures don’t appear?

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

dave.robbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SLK 350 R171
Excellent write up Dec.

Just wish I'd bothered to take some pics when I did mine today, as the estate boot lock is totally different.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
excellent and moved to DIY, the pics didnt appear as they all had URL infront and behind them, plus theres a limit of 7 photos per post, i've posted the rest below

thanks DEC

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
You have included 9 images in your message. You are limited to using 7 images so plea

heres the rest of Decs photos

H.jpg

I.jpg

J.jpg

K.jpg

L.jpg

M.jpg

N.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If you wish to discuss this thread pls post replies here

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom