Boot lock stuck closed w203 c220 cdi

rsggo

Reaction score
Please Help, I have got a c220cdi w203, the boot lock was not locking, so I opened the lock and sprayed wd40 into the plastic gears, I then tried locking the boot lid using a screwdriver about 20 times and opened the lock with the handle outside, I then closed the boot lid a few times and opened it again both manually and using the remote on the key.

I just finished tiding up and put all my tools away, came back to the car to try one last time and the boot will not open.

I have tried the emergency boot release key which is not working.

Is there another way to open the boot, without drilling or breaking open.

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If it was working earlier with the remote . then I would suggest that you lock up the entire car with the remote and then unlock it.. this should unlock your boot lid, sometimes over use of the remote will cause the central locking to stop responding ...

Also are you sure you put it back together again properly..

OP
R

rsggo

Reaction score
Thanks your that, but I have tried with the handle and let it over an hour, when I turn the emergency key in the lock it dose not open it either.

I'm sure that I did put it back together correctly as I made sure I tried locking it manually with a srewdriver and then released the lock by using the normal handle to open the boot.

I also tried a few times actually closing the boot and reopening it again, manually and with the remote, which all worked fine.

Now the boot will not release, I have tried pushing down on it, pushing it up, parking on the pavement on one back wheel and then the other side to see it this will either release the lock, but none of those worked.

The only thing I can think of is to drill the boot from outside into the lock, but this will cause major damage and cost a bit to put back right.

I'm hoping someone has come across something like this befoe and may have an idea of what to do.

Any suggestions welcome.

OP
R

rsggo

Reaction score
I have tried the blade key, turning it to one side locks the boot and turning it to the other should open it in this case, but its not. I have tried and tried and tried the blade key, it turns and I can heard the key lock inside turning but it's not releasing the boot.

I tried the internal button on the drivers side door, this dose not work either. I can heard a clicking sound when I press the boot opening handle on the boot [the normal way you would open the boot] but again its not opening.

Thanks for the digram, its given me an idea, could I gain access to the lock via the number plate recess, by taking off the nubmber pate and the screw in the middle, or would this have to be done internally.

I have checked the fuses this morning as well, all fine.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Had to drill a boot lid today on a BMW 5 series to rescue a set of keys from the boot at the local golf club.....I would suggest you try and get your hands on another car like yours and check which cables/ levers you have to pull/push to open the boot lock.. then plan your drilling accordingly.. also possible to unscrew the lock from inside the car by removing the rear seat and checking access from there..

OP
R

rsggo

Reaction score
Have you got an image of the back seats please, I might be able to get in this way.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Malcolm should be able to help you with info for rear seat removal.. The russian website link is down at the moment..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Malcolm should be able to help you with info for rear seat removal.. The russian website link is down at the moment..

I can with the first 6 VIN numbers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As SAM not getting easier is it

OP
R

rsggo

Reaction score
I have just managed to open the boot, I took off the number plate recess and drilled a small hole where I thought the lock would be, and I by luck drilled through to the white grears within and using a scew driver turned the gear until it clicked and using the handle, the lock worked and unlocked the boot.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me with this.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just managed to open the boot, I took off the number plate recess and drilled a small hole where I thought the lock would be, and I by luck drilled through to the white grears within and using a scew driver turned the gear until it clicked and using the handle, the lock worked and unlocked the boot.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has helped me with this.

Good news,,we always feel so helpless on some of the faults.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Solid metal panel unless folding seats!!

what changes when they fit folding seats? IIRC the 202 and the 210 had the fuel tank behind the seat, and AFAIK the 203 dad has is the same. presumably the floorpan has to be different to allow folding seats/relocate the tank?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
On the non folding seat version,, just a steel wall from the floor to the parcel shelf, on the folding seat version it is all open

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
ah right. so the tank must be underneath on them all then. thats another bit of info for me to try to remember

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
A good result..I'm wondering if it is a good idea to post the location of the drilling, for some other poor unfortunate....

OP
R

rsggo

Reaction score
A good result..I'm wondering if it is a good idea to post the location of the drilling, for some other poor unfortunate....

Let me know what you think and I will take pictures and post them.

W

W203-C220

My boot packed it in about the same time!

Hi, problem I have is the boot opener above the number plate does not operate. Feels immovable and the rest of the car is opening normally. But if I use the remote fob boot release it'll open normally. So I'm not suffering like the others... but it needs fixing.
Seems something goes wrong every few months these days. Best start fixing things soon or it'll spoil the enjoyment of driving it.

PS. Need to replace my thermostat as it runs 60c and heater is awful. Any tips would be welcome :)

PPS. My EC light is on permantly too, :cry: what does that mean?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom