Boot won't lock!

sootyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CLK 230 Kompressor
Hi - our 2000 CLK W208 has an issue with the boot, which cannot be LOCKED - either using the remote central locking method OR manually with the key directly - so not the usual problem of being unable to get in!

I have sprayed copious amounts of WD40 into the lock and tried using a pair of pliers to hold the key, whilst gently turning it....without success.

The Garage has now had a go and I am told that the Alarm siren fuse (??) keeps blowing, indicating a break in the wiring.....

Clearly, exposing the wiring to identify exactly where the break has occurred is almost certainly going to result in a (potentially) lumpy bill for labour!

Is this a 'known' problem and where would one start the process of resolution......?

Also, could someone suggest a cost-effective alternative to finding the wiring break, perhaps by taking the boot lock 'offline' and being able to simply lock/unlock it manually?

Many thanks

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

If it’s a wiring fault I’d first look at the hinge area, there will no doubt be a plastic cover over the hinge with the wiring inside. I’d be taking that apart and looking and feeling for broken wires.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If you leave the boot open , then press the remote locking for the car , then shut the boot does anything happen ?
Otherwise I'd be doing what Blobcat suggested .
Welcome to the forum buddy

OP
S

sootyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CLK 230 Kompressor
Hello and welcome

If it’s a wiring fault I’d first look at the hinge area, there will no doubt be a plastic cover over the hinge with the wiring inside. I’d be taking that apart and looking and feeling for broken wires.

Many thanks 'Bobcat' - I was hoping there might be a 'potential weakness' where such a break might occur and this may well be a candidate!

OP
S

sootyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CLK 230 Kompressor
If you leave the boot open , then press the remote locking for the car , then shut the boot does anything happen ?
Otherwise I'd be doing what Blobcat suggested .
Welcome to the forum buddy

Thank you 'Wighty', the car is not available to me for the next 10 days ('Senior Management' have it), but I will definitely give your suggestion a try when she gets back!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thank you 'Wighty', the car is not available to me for the next 10 days ('Senior Management' have it), but I will definitely give your suggestion a try when she gets back!
Total long shot buddy , just wondered if it might work ?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
If you are hearing any noise at the lock when trying to close it electrically there's a good chance the actuator pin has broken and jammed the lock mechanism and preventing it locking. If not then look at the connector for the lock.
Have a look on YOUTUBE for details. Good luck.

OP
S

sootyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CLK 230 Kompressor
If you are hearing any noise at the lock when trying to close it electrically there's a good chance the actuator pin has broken and jammed the lock mechanism and preventing it locking. If not then look at the connector for the lock.
Have a look on YOUTUBE for details. Good luck.

Hi 'Oldspanners' - thanks for your input.
I do not recall hearing any noise from the Boot lock, only from the fuel cap, but will see that it is checked again.
Regards

Top Bottom