1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bought an elderly Hymer motorhome

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by pitponyman, Dec 29, 2012.

1. pitponyman

pitponyman Member

Your Mercedes:
    Old Hymer camper using Mercedes 310/1987/2.3 petrol
    Our small Chsrity bought an elderly Hymer motorhome for use when we are at shows, street collections etc.
    It has a fault which we can’t seem to find. We wondered if you knew anyone with knowledge and experience of Mercedes ignition systems circa 1987. The Hymer which is Mercedes 4 cylinder, carburettor, petrol engine based, starts and runs fine. You can rev it up let it tick over etc. all fine. However after 30 seconds or so it cuts out and won’t re-start.
    Initially we thought fuel. We have checked the fuel system out and tried dribbling fuel into the carb as the engine begins to die to no avail.
    We fitted a HT spark analyser into No 1 lead and saw the sparks go orange fade then stop as the engine dies. We have replaced the coil, ignition module, run a new LT wire from the battery to the coil, sent the distributor, coil, ignition module to a company in Essex for checking NFF. All to no avail. We are now struggling for ideas.
    It has been suggested that the shielded wire from the distributor to the ignition module may be the fault. However finding a replacement is proving difficult and I feel we are clutching at straws.
    We wondered if you or anyone you know might know an enthusiast who might help us?

2. paul hayward

paul hayward Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
    i cant offer any help sadly... but sure others will!...any pictures of the old Hymer then????:cool:

Good luck getting her fixed up again:D

3. Bolide

Bolide Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    BMW 525 Diesel Touring
    If the fault is in the ignition system then my money would be on the distributor cap, rotor arm and ignition module in that order

I'd fit a new genuine Mercedes distributor cap & rotor arm then monitor the spark. I'd try it in darkness as well to look for HT tracking

All the parts are available from Mercedes

Known faults for these engines in their native habitat are distributor caps, rotor arms, AZL ignition modules, fuel pump relays and crank position sensor (CPS). The CPS might be at fault

Nick Froome

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. grober

grober Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W204 C200cdi estate