Boxsters - what do you think about them 1997-2001

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport
May sell my SLK for something more butch?

Im looking at a Boxster?

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Boxsters aren't Butch! What's your budget?

OP
coventryslk

coventryslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 CDI Sport

ive seen a decent 3.2 s cat d stolen recovered no damage

D1gger5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently Capri 280, 2 Litre S and 3 Litre Ghia
Poor man's Porker!!!!

Same gearbox as an Audi TT as well

IMHO Get a proper 911 derivative if you are going for one.

Diggers

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Arugable the boxster is the easier car to drive with more neutral handling balance and it isn't plauged with the engine problems that the early 996's are.

The 911 you really want is either a 993, or 996 GT3. The GT3 engines are stronger, more reliable and the cars go some.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
If you want something much better get an SL.

cocothecat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Focus, CLK 230, 911, Spitfire MK II
Keep your SLK and get a nice 1980's 911 for summer use! Its a little bit different at least and heck of alot of fun, I picked up my Targa for £6,000 with a fair bit of work to do

clive-cls

Banned
Reaction score
Have a look on YouTube for the supercharged 3.6 Boxter.

Clive

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE

Im looking at a Boxster?

Don't think I would say a Boxster is more Butch than an SLK - they're both pretty similar. Although, I reckon for a guy, the Boxster in a dark colour is perfectly acceptable and not too, how do I put this 'hairdresser'. Personally I think the SLK is more of a 'girls' car while the SL is the 'mans' version.

Don't be put off the Boxster - many people will say it's the poor mans 911, but what the hell... yes it is.

It is still a true Porsche in every sense of the word and the 2.7 engine is perfectly powerful enough for most - there will always be those that tell you to get the 3.2S, but whats the point. If you want the bigger engine then that's the time to think more seriously about actually getting a 911.

Don't let folk bully you - If you want a Porsche get one, there will always be people trying to put you down. The other thing is you can get quite a modern Boxster for the same money as an old 80's 911 and the Boxster will be a nicer / easier drive.

I've been considering picking up a Boxster myself for a fun weekend car and getting a boring estate for the everyday commute / load lugging. :lol:

I wouldn't touch any stolen/recovered cars though - Go for the most genuine original example you can afford with history.

Last edited:

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Personally I think the SLK is more of a 'girls' car while the SL is the 'mans' version.

I think you've already worked out that I'm not going to agree with that comment. I've actually had many clients say what a feminine car the SL is and I've wondered what they would say about the SLGay (sorry K).

As for the Boxster, that really is a "Girly" car. :lol:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
But then they also say
What is the difference beween a porsche and a porcupine

the porsche has the pricks on the inside..

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
I think you've already worked out that I'm not going to agree with that comment. I've actually had many clients say what a feminine car the SL is and I've wondered what they would say about the SLGay (sorry K).

I don't have a problem with a female owning a proper sports car - a woman driving an SL, a porsche 911, a ferrari, an Aston Martin etc is very sexy! :lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With the SLs, the small engine versions are known as hairdressers cars, the big ones are not known as anything

MarkCL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Avantgarde
Well there's always the classic route - go for a 356 Speedster. Ok not the quickest car but plenty of character - you could even build one as a kit from a decent replica company like Chesil if that kind of thing floats yer boat.

Nowt wrong with the Boxster though. Still a proper Porker - just echo what someone else said earlier in that it's always wise to go for the best you can afford with the most comprehensive history. Good luck :)

Cheers,
Mark

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver

I admired an SLK and was told that joke. Thought it was up here. The SL is a wonderful car but its not as feminine as an SLK but who cares about that, its what you like that counts.

wemorgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLK 250CDI

Im looking at a Boxster?

The Boxter is a real driver's car :) Disregard all the stereotype comments as they mostly come from people who have never driven the car, but just like to attached labels to things. I would say though if image is important then the 3.2S would be the model to go for.

But if it's only butchness that you're after then have you considered adding an AMG kit to your car, or even buying a SLK 32AMG?

I would also agree with other comments that colour can really transform a car and would say dark colours look more purposeful.

It's a nice proposition to be in....so good luck.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom