bracket? What is it??

cadge1

Reaction score
On my 220 there is a rectangular bracket at the back of the differential that has rubber mountings with a bolt through each as viewed from the rear of the car underneath, this bracket is very flexible and is banging on the rear cross member what is this bracket for as it does not actually seem to serve any purpose as the rubber bushes seem to be in the crossmember??

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Is it a 124 car ?

OP
C

cadge1

Reaction score
Sorry whats a 124 car?? My car is a 2002 220cdi diesel 4 door saloon manual gearbox

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
yes but is it a e220cdi or c220cdi

OP
C

cadge1

Reaction score
item 180 on your link it only seems to be held on by rubber are the bushes part of this item? seems a strange setup if they are not and from the drawing they dont seem to be part of it

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
The bushes 40 are fixed in the subframe
and the bolts 45 go through these bushes and screw into the diff to hold the diff up in the subframe.

The optional vibration damper is fitted against those 2 bushes above with the longer screws and the locking device.

I doubt it is banging against the subframe, as it would be loose to do that and also the diff would be loose also.

Put a ring spanner or socket on the bolts and see if they can be turned.

I guess you have looked at the exhaust system for banging or broken support ?

OP
C

cadge1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yes checked exhaust and around only thing that reproduces the banging is this bracket as it is so flexible that it is possible to move it about and bang it against subframe. Suspect that the flexible rubber in this bracket has gone very soft or is about to collapse. From what you say about this bracket I think the answer is to remove it completely as it does not compromise safety as it is an optional fitting and I also suspect could be expensive to replace. Diff bolts are tight as is the bracket bolts.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
when I say optional I mean some cars needed them and some did not. I would think if it needs it it needs it, or you might get some rear end vibration without it.
But I guess you could try it without and see.

I do not have one on my 124 chassis but some 124 chassis cars do have them.

OP
C

cadge1

Reaction score
Ok think I will take it off and see thanks

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom