Brake disc issue?!

merckdan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class Coupe 2016 C220d PremiumPlus
So last month (7th Dec) I bought a new set of brake discs and pads from Mercedes - cost just over £300, for my W205 Coupe. I got them fitted at a local garage near me. From the evening I picked the car up the brakes didn't seem right - the brake pedal would slightly shake when braking at higher speeds i.e. on the motorway. I thought it might just be that they're soft as they've just been changed but it didn't go away and started getting worse. I took the car to the garage yesterday and they've said there is a slight 'deviation' in them so basically they're warped.

Now garage is saying could be due to faulty brake disc and I should contact MB to have a look. I called MB and they're saying they can take it in and look at it - if its a fault of their part then they will replace for free but if its not their parts fault then I will get charged £55 diagnosis fee for 30 mins (and then obviously however much to replace the discs if I want them to do it).

I honestly now don't know what to do - in my head I'm thinking Merc will say yes the discs need replacing but its because they weren't put on properly or something so I will just be more out of pocket. Shall I buy another set of MB discs for £150 or wait 2 weeks and take it to MB to look at?

Any advice?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Your garage is washing his hands of the sitution tbf, bite the bullet and get another garage to have a look, but they will still you charge time like MB will. Bite the bullet get MB to have a look, could well be they say wrong paste was used, mounts not cleaned properly etc,

why would you shell out another 150, it could be the brakes are fine and they were not correctly fitted....

replacing disks and pads is not like changing a fuse, things need to be cleaned up and lubricated, some garages just whip on and off and thats where the problems start.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
If the hubs are not cleaned thoroughly ie spotlessly clean from any debris the disc will not seat true on the hub, this will cause your symptoms.
I know because I did a disc change on one of my past Mercedes and had the same issue. After removing the disc's and cleaning properly I had no problem ;)

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
I know on the W213 it is essential that the wheels are fitted with the correct wheel bolt torque pattern, or the hubs can be damaged by them being bent slightly (i am equally as amazed and concerned too) which in turn throws the brake discs out of alignment (run-out) causing judder.
Good chance your garage has just impact gunned the wheel bolts back on and thrown the run-out out on the discs. As the pads 'catch' them on rotation, more pad material is deposited, causing spot heating and then the judder effect is multiplied.

You may be able to reduce the issue by having the wheels removed, discs removed and checked for clean install, refitted with correct procedure and wheel bolt torquing procedure and then test drive for a couple of days. I wouldn't trust the fitting garage though. If the discs still run out and the install was ok at that point you've got to prove to MB that they are not dead-flat (a challenge) or get the discs cut straight on the car with a run-out machine (i forget what that is called, and only a few garages have one) but that might be cheaper than fitting new discs.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I would suspect the garage fitting them didn't clean the hub faces adequately and didn't check runout on the discs.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Another vote for poor fitting practice from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

merckdan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 Coupe 16' needed discs and pads changing, bought OEM ones from MB and gave to trustworthy indy garage near me at work to change. Then I started to get juddering/vibrations when breaking mainly at high speeds, juddering got worse and worse so then I took the car back to the garage about 4 weeks after. They said they can see variation in the discs but no other issues - it may be a faulty disc/part from MB so take it to them. After a 2 week wait for an appointment I finally took it into MB on Friday and when I went to collect it they said 'the wheels have been overtightened when the discs/pads have been changed and now need new disc, pads, wheel bearings, hub, AND alloys' - total cost £2833! I was gobsmacked to be honest. Now I don't know whether MB are having me on here or the garage has actually made an error or if its a car issue. I've just ordered some new OEM discs to try and put on. I've read couple of other threads but not really got an answer. Taking it back to the indy garage to put the discs on. It's doing my head in and the juddering is happening at lower speeds now too.

Does anyone have any idea?

OP
M

merckdan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
After a 2 week wait for an appointment I finally took it into MB on Friday and when I went to collect it they said 'the wheels have been overtightened when the discs/pads have been changed and now need new disc, pads, wheel bearings, hub, AND alloys' - total cost £2833! I was gobsmacked to be honest. Now I don't know whether MB are having me on here or the garage has actually made an error or if its a car issue. I've just ordered some new OEM discs to try and put on. I've read couple of other threads but not really got an answer. Taking it back to the indy garage to put the discs on. It's doing my head in and the juddering is happening at lower speeds now too. The garage are trustworthy and I've double checked they give it a good clean before changing. Not sure who to blame or what to do? I'm worried these new discs may do the same thing or what if I put them on and its fine initially but 1/2/3 months later same issue.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Seems like MB are trying to cover all bases ..... I've yet to hear of problems caused by over tightening wheel bolts/nuts other than stripping threads

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
After a 2 week wait for an appointment I finally took it into MB on Friday and when I went to collect it they said 'the wheels have been overtightened when the discs/pads have been changed and now need new disc, pads, wheel bearings, hub, AND alloys' - total cost £2833!

Got to be a pi$$ take , surely ?

I feel a protracted thread warning coming on.

You have a quotation / estimate for the potential work , if so take it back to the original garage and see what they say , once they stop laughing.

K

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Jimbo1959 had the same issue with front discs it might be worth contacting him regarding how he resolved it - this is one of his threads (he sold the MB but still posts on the forum) you could use to contact him

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
After a 2 week wait for an appointment I finally took it into MB on Friday and when I went to collect it they said 'the wheels have been overtightened when the discs/pads have been changed and now need new disc, pads, wheel bearings, hub, AND alloys' - total cost £2833!

I'm smelling something of a rather bovine origin.....

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
It’s amazing what some tyre fitters do I’ve just taken one of my son’s W213 front wheels off to get a crack repaired on the alloy and two of the wheel bolts were almost unmovable they must have been ‘torqued’ up to about 200Nm the other three were fine... does make you wonder sometimes about wheel fitting places I usually re-torque mine if someone else does work on the car rattle guns are famous for this. I’m not saying this is the OPs problem but it’s rife

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I always stand and watch a tyre fitter doing thier job. Replacing the nuts, first with finger, then a wrench a bit, then a torque wrench.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As for tyre fitters, the quality of guns varies as with other tools. Most garages just use whatever buzz gun they have.

Also we use torque extension bars on the guns which I have not seen done elsewhere, these prevent the risk of over tightening with a conventional gun. Doing this has never over tightened a bit with a gun but left scope to finalise with a torque wrench.

Always each nut should be hand tightened with a torque wrench to finish. (Again with another check about 50 miles later).

richlumb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350d
W205 chew through disks for fun I had an estate that had 3 sets done under warranty and when I got shut off it it started to shudder on new disks, the technician that put the last set on told me they are 2 piece disks and the centres are pressed on and you even have to unbox and fit them a certain way as they are so easy to warp, spend that extra few pounds at Mercedes’ and get them fitted correctly and warranted, whilst you drive the curtesy car for the day and they even valet yours

Last edited:

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In this case I would agree with the above to an extent. To avoid a supplier and a fitter being able to ping pong you before you just suck it up, having one place ‘supply and fit’ the item, leaves them no wriggle room be it a dealership, independent or Bobby n Pals up the road.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom