Brake fluid change W209

NeilA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 K TIP
Hi all.

I purchased a clk a couple of months back, but looking through the service history there is no evidence that the brake fluid has ever been changed.
Car has now done 80k!

Do i need to change and if so how easy is it to DIY!
Thanks all
Neil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So no ticks in the service books for brake fluid, you can do it yourself or have it done on a pressurized pump. you will need all four wheels off to do it your self

OP
N

NeilA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 K TIP
So no ticks in the service books for brake fluid, you can do it yourself or have it done on a pressurized pump. you will need all four wheels off to do it your self

Thanks! Ill book it in then! Dont fancy doing it myself and yes no ticks in the boxes!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks! Ill book it in then! Dont fancy doing it myself and yes no ticks in the boxes!

It is a very quick job that your local could do in no time, ½ hour max

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
If the reservoir is filthy it makes sense to whip it off and clean it out with brake cleaner first. It only takes five minutes

OP
N

NeilA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 K TIP
If the reservoir is filthy it makes sense to whip it off and clean it out with brake cleaner first. It only takes five minutes

Thanks, but have no idea where the reservoir is!
As you can probably tell, dont have much experience in vehicle mechanics!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, but have no idea where the reservoir is!
As you can probably tell, dont have much experience in vehicle mechanics!

It sits just in front of the brake vacuum tank on the bulk head, there is a cap about 100mm on top of the tank

DanF

Reaction score
I reckon if you can change the oil then you can do the brake fluid, if you haven't done that before then do that first to get used to working on the car and jacking it up etc.

I just did mine on my W124, its dead easy with an Gunson Eezibleed kit - I wouldn't try it the old fashioned way with pumping on the brake pedal.

If you search on youtube you can watch how it works.

Basically you empty the brake fluid reservoir with a turkey baster, fill it with new fluid, connect the Eezibleed kit which is filled with new fluid then connect your spare tyre to that and the pressure from your spare tyre pushes the fluid through and you go round each wheel in turn, take the wheel off, loosen the bleed valve and watch the old fluid get pushed through. Then tighten up the bleed valve, put the wheel back on then onto the next wheel. You have to do it in the right order which will be in Haynes manual. Once you're done you check off the level in the reservoir and you're done.

I used blue brake fluid from ECP which made it really easy to see when all the old fluid was out, next time I'll use normal colour again. That was dot 4 you would have to check what dot you need and get the same kind as what's in there already, might be different as it is a newer car than mine.

Took about 45 mins or an hour in all I guess, just take your time and check everything as you go. You need a torque wrench to do the wheel nuts up again and obviously chock up the wheels when you're taking them off, and take it for a road test after you've done and do a couple of emergency stops, and keep an eye on the level in the reservoir after to make sure its ok.

Quite a satisfying job especially when you see the colour of the old fluid and all the cr*p floating in it, couldn't have been doing much good.

David Nock

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK/2009/320CDI
Hi all.

I purchased a clk a couple of months back, but looking through the service history there is no evidence that the brake fluid has ever been changed.
Car has now done 80k!

Do i need to change and if so how easy is it to DIY!
Thanks all
Neil

MB recommend a brake fluid change as an extra item to services every 2 years. Water is drawn into the fluid at the calliper seals over time and rusting occurs, i.e seizure.

I think it's worth it if you're keeping the car. We have a 28 year old Mazda running on original brake and clutch seals. Nothing has seized, leaked or failed in all that time as the fluid is always fresh.

Sadly no Haynes as far as I know for CLK. Well for W209 anyway.

Last edited:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
I reckon if you can change the oil then you can do the brake fluid, if you haven't done that before then do that first to get used to working on the car and jacking it up etc.

I just did mine on my W124, its dead easy with an Gunson Eezibleed kit - I wouldn't try it the old fashioned way with pumping on the brake pedal.

If you search on youtube you can watch how it works.

Basically you empty the brake fluid reservoir with a turkey baster, fill it with new fluid, connect the Eezibleed kit which is filled with new fluid then connect your spare tyre to that and the pressure from your spare tyre pushes the fluid through and you go round each wheel in turn, take the wheel off, loosen the bleed valve and watch the old fluid get pushed through. Then tighten up the bleed valve, put the wheel back on then onto the next wheel. You have to do it in the right order which will be in Haynes manual. Once you're done you check off the level in the reservoir and you're done.

I used blue brake fluid from ECP which made it really easy to see when all the old fluid was out, next time I'll use normal colour again. That was dot 4 you would have to check what dot you need and get the same kind as what's in there already, might be different as it is a newer car than mine.

Took about 45 mins or an hour in all I guess, just take your time and check everything as you go. You need a torque wrench to do the wheel nuts up again and obviously chock up the wheels when you're taking them off, and take it for a road test after you've done and do a couple of emergency stops, and keep an eye on the level in the reservoir after to make sure its ok.

Quite a satisfying job especially when you see the colour of the old fluid and all the cr*p floating in it, couldn't have been doing much good.

Your advice is pretty sound here. Just to note the o/p will need 30psi in the tyre
Which is providing the pressure.
I would not try the pump it with the pedal technique with any modern vehicle!

OP
N

NeilA

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 K TIP
Really appreciate your help here guys.
Perhaps next time ill give it a go!
Managed to get my local reputable garage to do it for 30 quid plus VAT, booked in for 2 today! Just out of curiosity where is the reservoir located and is it distinctive?

Thanks
Neil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really appreciate your help here guys.
Perhaps next time ill give it a go!
Managed to get my local reputable garage to do it for 30 quid plus VAT, booked in for 2 today! Just out of curiosity where is the reservoir located and is it distinctive?

Thanks
Neil

Please see post 7 here, its under the bonnet over the brake pedal

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
There must be something far wrong with the system if the resevoir is dirty at 80k miles?

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom