Brake Immediately warning

Chudleigh Cannon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C220 SE CDI Estate 2013
Newbie Poster and newbie MB owner, so be gentle!

Just bought a 2013 C Class manual. I read up on the park brake/brake hold beforehand but having driven it a few times i'm obviously doing something wrong as each time i park i get a 'brake immediately' warning and the car moves before coming to standstill, sometimes worryingly close to the car parked in front!

Here's what happens....

I park the car facing downhill on a moderate slope.
once i the right place I use the foot brake HOLD
I use the Parking Brake
I turn off ignition
I get a 'brake immediately' message in centre display (and once the car horn started beeping)
I put my foot on the foot brake again (not parking brake)
Vehicle rolls about a foot forward then comes to a stop
I then put it into reverse as i don't trust the break
I get out, lock the car and hope that it wont roll downhill overnight!!!

So what am I doing wrong to get the 'brake immediately' message or do you think this is a fault?

....before posting I searched for 'brake immediately' posts and only one came up on an unrelated topic, so this is either a very rare problem or i'm doing something so stupid no one has ever done it before!!! :rolleyes:

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Have you tried not using brake hold? Just apply brake normally then apply handbrake?

When transitioning from Hold there is a change in hydraulic pressures which may be the issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
IIRC brake “Hold” only works with the engine running. Turn off the ignition and the brake hold comes off as well. It could be your parking brake is not working properly which is why the car then moves forward.

As Robin says, don't use “Hold” when you are about to park. It’s really just for hill starts and when you are in traffic. Come to a standstill, put the car into Neutral, apply the Parking Brake and then turn off the ignition. And... get the efficiency of the parking brake checked immediately!

PS welcome to the forum and the world of Mercedes.

OP
C

Chudleigh Cannon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C220 SE CDI Estate 2013
Thanks both for your help, yep, that's fixed it :)

Make sure brake HOLD is not on when parked/turning off ignition.

I think it may have been a bit too light on the Park brake and a bit trigger happy on the footbrake!

Will also get parking brake checked/tightened too.

Cheers

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d
Thanks both for your help, yep, that's fixed it :)

Make sure brake HOLD is not on when parked/turning off ignition.

I think it may have been a bit too light on the Park brake and a bit trigger happy on the footbrake!

Will also get parking brake checked/tightened too.

Cheers

As the car is manual it would be a good idea (particularly when parking on a slope) to leave it in gear.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom