Brake Pads Brand

Delpsrush

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2012 2.1
Hi everyone,

the brake pad wear sign appeared about a week ago on my car. Now this is the first Merc I've owned so I'm not completely sure about what brand I should be going with to replace them. Secondly, is there anyway of knowing if the sensor is for the front pads or rear pads.

Finally should I get the discs changed aswell the car has 120k on it, I've had it since 110k, or should I just get the garage to check the condition and then base it on that.

Apologies for the "noobiness" of these questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have tried a bit of research from what I've read so far ATE Ceramic or Textar would be the way to go, but then I started reading Pagid and some others and I just got confused AF.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
You cannot go wrong with OEM pads and any MB garage will offer you 15% off list price for them, likely to be the cheapest option. Best choice if you're willing to live with dirty front wheels.

Failing that you could try EBC's Green Stuff or Red Stuff ceramic pads, dependent on the weight of your car (Green below 1400kg, Red over it). About 40% pricier but no added hassle of scrubbing red dust off your wheels.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
You should only need to replace your disks if they're heavily grooved or have a noticeable lip on the outer edge. It's also worth getting your knees dirty and have a look at the inside surface of the disks from under the front of the car. You need to put it on full lock on both sides. I generally find that I can get three sets of pads out a set of disks.

You may find that the previous owner has changed the disks at some point before you owned it and they're still in good condition. I use Brembo disks and pads available from Euro Car Parts. If you order them online on Click and collect, a full set front and back costs about £115 for the C Class.

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Discs do wear more than previous as they took asbestos out of the pads, they generally last (in my experience) twice as longs as pads. So disc replacement every other pad replacement. Having said that rear discs can rust badly so can need replacement because of pitting.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
P.S. I have tried a bit of research from what I've read so far ATE Ceramic or Textar would be the way to go, but then I started reading Pagid and some others and I just got confused AF.

Pagid are the OEM pads, they are all made by the same company though.

I am tempted by ATE Ceramic next as hardly any brake dust.

I put Pagid on my car last time with no problems at all

OP
D

Delpsrush

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2012 2.1
Appreciate the replies guys. MB quoted me £180 for front pads parts and labour...
Ill probably have a look at how much labour will be for the pads change from a local garage, because I can get the ATE Ceramic or Textar E-Pads for about £110.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
shade under £ 57 at euro car parts for ate ceramics . ( front pads )

OP
D

Delpsrush

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 2012 2.1
I'm not entirely sure what the brake system is. Lucas? Brembo? And a couple others they're different prices not sure which one is the one for my car.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I'm not entirely sure what the brake system is. Lucas? Brembo? And a couple others they're different prices not sure which one is the one for my car.

Just put your car into the ECP parts finder and it will tell you

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom