Brake pads won't fit!

SteveX

Reaction score
Well this should be a 10 minute job, and it was until the pads in the calliper won't clear the disc any more.

I've fitted PAGID pads in the rear, left the caps/ rattle shims on the pistons and the factory pagid shim stuck to the back of the pad.

When trying to put the calliper back on there is not enough clearance. Pistons are fully in.

Shall I remove the shims on the back of the pads? The old pads that came out had shims clipped on the back, they just sat against the pads on the pistons.

Any advice appreciated, the car is just sat there at the moment and this is making a quick job turn out to be a long one!

Cheers,

Last edited:

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
You have little to lose by at least trying without the shims.

Is it possible to try to slide them in afterwards, if you can get the callipers over without them already in place?

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm really not sure whether to remove the brembo shims or prize the one off of the back of the pad. Grrrrr...

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
You have little to lose by at least trying without the shims.

Is it possible to try to slide them in afterwards, if you can get the callipers over without them already in place?

That could be possible, removal and re-install is only a few mins, but I guess it's working out which way to go. If I butcher the back of the pads by prizing them off, they won't be bonded on any more, where as I could unclip the brembo shims from the pistons.

I'm not sure which would be the preferred method and I am terrible at making decisions, so right now I am just staring at it lol.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Ah, if it's a question of prising them off the pads, then I wouldn't do it personally. If they are permanently attached, it will be for a reason!

I'll have another think!

You're quite sure the pads are correctly located on the shims/pistons, and there is no other obstruction that is getting in the way, or which is preventing the pads from being parted a little further?

Last edited:
OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Ah, if it's a question of prising them off the pads, then I wouldn't do it personally. If they are permanently attached, it will be for a reason!

I'll have another think!

You're quite sure the pads are correctly located on the shims/pistons, and there is no other obstruction that is getting in the way, or which is preventing the pads from being parted a little further?

Hmmm, yeh I am not sure either.

The pistons are 100% back as far as they can go, the brembo anti-rattle shims / caps that clip into the pistons are pressed against the inside of the caliper.

The old pads were textar I think, the new Pagids look pretty identical, apart from perhaps the shim on the back of the pagid looks a little thicker.

As the old set had both the original pad shims on the back, and the rattle shims on the pistons, it doesn't give me any clue which ones to remove!

I have had brembos without the rattle shims / caps on the piston before and it worked fine, but I'd rather keep them, then again, I'm not keen on ripping the shim off of the back of the pad either, but I need to go for one of them!

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue with the Brembo / Pagid combi.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Are they the correct pads for the discs?? Or have they been manufactured slightly thicker as they are aftermarket??

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Well I need to get it done, I'm thinking perhaps of just un-clipping the brembo shims for now.

I ran R34 Brembos on another car without anti-rattle shims on the pistons fine. I don't think they always come with them.

The thing is at the moment, it's not going to rattle around either way because I meed that extra couple of mm clearance to get the pads on the disc anyway.

I can keep the brembo shims and always re-fit them if I get thinner pads next time.

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Are they the correct pads for the discs?? Or have they been manufactured slightly thicker as they are aftermarket??

I'm guessing Pagid should be OEM quality, I know Porsche fit Pagid as standard, well either Pagid or Textar when servicing, so I don't think it would be much difference for MB.

They are the right thickness, width and height according to the specifications needed for my model.

The difference between getting them on or not really is the width of a shim on either side.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
Are you sure the pistons are fully home 100% ?

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Are you sure the pistons are fully home 100% ?

They slipped back in easy enough and the rattle shims are pressed against the inside of the caliper, there isn't any more room to play with :(

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Well, I decided to take the shims off of the pads.

Fitted in perfectly. Left the anti-rattle shims on the pistons and gave it a test, it was fine :)

Cheers,

Last edited:

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
After a few hundred miles when the pads wear in, you will be able to remove them and fit the shims, and you will get the pleasure of dirting your hands with some clean copper grease again!

OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Yup, I'm going to pop them back on if I can later.

I think these pads I got were manufactured just a bit thicker, they are about 1mm wider too, so the edges of the pads fit snuggly from top to bottom in the calliper.

Few hundred miles so far though and no issues.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom