1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breakdown cover. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by Yugguy, May 21, 2019.

1. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    Pattern cam and crank sensors are notorious for failing ..... :rolleyes:

Having said that, an OE cam sensor for EmilysMum's Citroen was less than £30 a few years ago ;)

2. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350

Wives are always right ....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(even when they're wrong .... :D)

3. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    Not always, they could be an “X” :rolleyes:

EmilysDad likes this.
  4. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto

sadly ,i sure yr right, these days the first problem you will find is some prxxk will have designed a new kind of fastner that you never thought to buy. 2nd problem ,likely to need a damn laptop.! nuts but thats how its getting to be .

DSK likes this.
  5. DSK

DSK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CLS 320 CDI
    Its just what I see, new cars always on the back of a recovery truck and not older cars. With the complexity of the stupid things, those who do DIY probably just stop doing it as its too much hassle so become more reliant on dealers filled with plug n play technician's that can barely wipe the backside in the morning let along do some good old fashioned trouble shooting/root cause analysis and finish it off with a first class repair.

First time I went to work on the CLS I ended up shutting the bonnet and going to halfords to get a new toolset containing those stupid star type sockets.

6. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    Torx, both male & female, have been fitted to cars for years now. They were under the bonnet of my 1993 Senator

7. d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 250k
    Like any insurance there is the amount they spend on recovery and then taxes, advertising, profit, staff, actuary professionals etc. I thought mine was good value as at 60/yr its peace of mind but then thinking now in 10yrs/200k miles ive had them out twice for punctures (once couldnt get wheel bolts undone, second time had not repaired flat before i got another one a yr later)...so basically 600 quid for one time where i could have just bought a hammer from a shop round the corner and one time that was my fault... nice to have at the end of the phone but ultimately youll always lose long term like with any insurance policy.

I havent taken my own advice and not bought it but have got it for half price this year as towing limited to 250km. Im regularly 500-1000km from home but would mostly rather a repair at a local garage even if it extends the trip than have to endure 1000km of being relayed back home!

8. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto

yup on sockets and i DO wish the stuff on and for these cars WAS plug and play . over ten yr ago it took me 5 hr to fit a clk tow bar . 2 week ago it took me more than 2 days .1 dauy for the NON plug and play electrics/electronics.

DSK likes this.
  9. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    It's Yug's fault ...... my Smart broke down this morning on my way to work! :eek::D:D

Abandoned it in a car park as a lad from work was passing & gave me a lift. :)

Yugguy likes this.
  10. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Used recovery 4 times in 30 years.
    1st time was Land Rover Defender broke a CV joint whilst out green laning. No problems thinks I... Drive home in diff lock. About 3 miles later the pieces jammed the steering with about +5/-2 degrees of lock available. Cue 100 mile yellow taxi ride.
    2nd time was Defender on the M6 near Preston around 11pm. Front propshaft disintegrated. No problem thinks I.... Drive home in diff lock. No drive. Transfer box linkage also damaged. Cue big yellow taxi. Problem... I was towing a Sankey trailer on a military hitch (what a great piece of kit they are!) and the yellow taxi couldn't carry or tow the trailer. Cue second yellow taxi for the trailer!
    3rd time was Land Cruiser Colorado that ran out of elastrickery. Alternator fried itself and didn't give a warning. Battery went flat and the vehicle stopped. After a phone call a very nice man came with a spare battery and followed me home, recovered his battery and left.
    4th time was Mercedes w210. Bought it with a suspect CPS which 5 miles after leaving the seller stopped dead. Cue big yellow taxi and new CPS and it hasn't missed a beat since.

The first two breakdowns I could have fixed myself on the roadside if I'd had to. The last two no chance.

11. star

star Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Smart + others :)
    Cars can break at anytime or place, no matter how well its been serviced. It might just only be a dirty connection that made you stop but not good if your on the m.way. That's why I always have breakdown/recovery cover.

noonboots and DSK like this.
  12. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I had the tyre valve fail on my Landy in Lane 3 of the M1... could have self rescued if the valve on the spare didn’t also snap off when I took it off the bonnet...:(

13. OP
    Yugguy

Yugguy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
    Should mention that this is on my upcoming Focus.

First year European wide breakdown is free. A service extends it for another year, as does a £99 convenience check. Yep, 99 quid seems a lot so you are basically paying for the recovery.

Unsure yet as to wether I will chop it in before the first service which would be at 2 years, looking at my mileage.

14. DREAMER NO2

DREAMER NO2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103 1989
    I took the B/D cover from my insurance company . If you break down by the time you get back to the car , after sorting out recovery , then all you would find would be a few washers and nuts on the floor in the place you had left your car.

15. MalcQV

MalcQV Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes CLA200
    I would not leave home without breakdown cover.

16. star

star Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Smart + others :)
    Even if your walking? ;)

John Laidlaw likes this.
  17. peterws1957

peterws1957 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
    Certainly there were some on my 70's US stuff.

18. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    Breakdown cover is completely unnecessary.
    - Until you need it; then it's worth its weight in gold!

I get full European breakdown cover for "free" with my Nationwide bank account. It covers either/both of us in "any eligible vehicle" and also anyone driving our vehicle with permission.

I particularly like the peace of mind if SWMBO is out on her own at any time. A few months ago I had an issue with a transmission warning message on my S203 and had to have the car trailered to Mercland (about an hour away). Quick phone call - "Certainly, Sir - no charge."

Frontstep and Yugguy like this.
  19. OP
    Yugguy

Yugguy Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
    Do you pay for the upgraded current account?

20. Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    Like all "Insurance" its an expensive waste of money till you need it, then IF it works its a bargain.

Flyinspanner likes this.