Broken clutch flywheel, gearbox issues

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C180k SE Coupe petrol manual
Hi guys, first time poster here... Basically my 2007 C180k SE Coupe has just broken down. The local Mercedes Benz dealer/garage have looked at it and they want £2224 to fix the clutch/flywheel problem, which will leave a noisy gearbox. Gearbox repair included comes to £4700!

Problem is its only done 56,000 miles and we only bought it (for £9k) 3 years ago. Seems like a big thing to happen so soon. Don't know whether to get the repairs done or scrap :(

Also, (as it can't be driven) is it worth getting another quote?

Cheers!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, sadly we have heard this tale before, you need a good indie to replace the flywheel and clutch plate.

What puzzles me is why do they think the gear box will be noisy ????

What part of London are you in

OP
M

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the quick reply televison! Well the initial (roadside assistance) diagnosis was a faulty gearbox. But the MB guy at the garage said that the clutch had 'gone into' the flywheel, which needs replacing, and the gearbox is noisy (hence the flywheel fix wont be the end of the story). He said we can get away with the first (£2k) fix will do for now, but the gearbox could go at any time.

So you reckon I would be worth another quote? We have an indie garage round the corner, but never used them before. Presumably we'd have to pay to tow it there? We already owe £500+ to MB for just looking at the problem.

OP
M

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry, forgot to say I'm in north London.

OP
M

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks television, much appreciated!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Indies as they are called work for ½ the mercedes labour rates, and this one is very honest and a good man, you will not regret it :D

OP
M

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice one. In that case I'm hoping most of that quote I got is made up of labour charges!

Just messaged the guy.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Nice one. In that case I'm hoping most of that quote I got is made up of labour charges!

Just messaged the guy.

And there'd be no way on earth I'd fork out £4700 for a new gearbox for a 2007 car ....... I'd go for a second hand unit if you do actually need one.

(not knocking a 2007 car ;) I have one & a 1999 car )

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And there'd be no way on earth I'd fork out £4700 for a new gearbox for a 2007 car ....... I'd go for a second hand unit if you do actually need one.

(not knocking a 2007 car ;) I have one & a 1999 car )

As MB cannot drive the car how do they know the box will be noisy ??? or am I missing something here

OP
M

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When I said 'can't be driven', I really meant that you can't drive it any distance (in gear). It can be started and it will idle, and you can rev it (and hear the noise), but it won't drive from the MB garage back to mine - the whole car shakes and rattles when you try to pull away...

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
When I said 'can't be driven', I really meant that you can't drive it any distance (in gear). It can be started and it will idle, and you can rev it (and hear the noise), but it won't drive from the MB garage back to mine - the whole car shakes and rattles when you try to pull away...

If it was me, I'd get the car recovered to somewhere else for repairs.

OP
M

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think towing it is looking like our only option... Not sure I can put together that kind of money overnight, and is it worth it?! Shame cos we have always had it serviced at MB and they do our MOTs. We only had it serviced about 3 months ago, and had to fork out then for a new set of tires.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... Not sure I can put together that kind of money overnight, and is it worth it?! ....

Which kind of money? The quote from MB for the repair? I really would pay MB what you owe so far & push the car out of the dealers if need be. I really couldn't say how much a new clutch should be for your car, & I assume it also needs a new dual mass flywheel ...... your local MB independent should be able to advise where you can get alternative pattern parts - Euro Car Parts perhaps :confused: :confused: - and he'll be charging half of what MB will be for labour.

OP
M

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The £4700 for the total bill. So far we owe them around £500 for the inspection, so I guess I'll pay up and get it towed out to somewhere else. Thanks for the tip!

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
If you dont want to fix it I bet you would be able to sell it on ebay as 'spares or repair' for only 15% or so less than full market value, people (for some reason) pay alot of money for broken cars on ebay.

OP
M

Mattdt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Defo give Wayne Gates servicing a call, another +1

http://www.mercservicing.co.uk/

Nice one, I gave them a call this morning as television had also recommended them, and hopefully they are taking up the case. Can you believe though, that MB want £615 just for the inspection - that's 3.5hrs labour apparently :(

And thanks for the info robparker, I did think about the spares/repair route, however I didn't think it would be worth as much as that!

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Can you believe though, that MB want £615 just for the inspection - that's 3.5hrs labour apparently :(

Unfortunately, yes I can believe that.

Ask them what their published labour rate is, as that equates to £146.43 per hour, plus VAT naturally...

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom