Broken Springs!!??

OP
RoyDavis

RoyDavis

Reaction score
Ive had all 4 springs replaced now but it does seem to sound a bit creaky when going over speed bumps etc, is that them just settling in or should they not be like that?

turnipsock

Reaction score
With springs you are best to get them from MB as Europarts only seem to stock one type and there are five types for W124s. If you fit a spring that is too weak, then it will probably break quite quickly.

C

Chopper

How much labour [time]to replace both rear coil springs in a C220 CDI ,is it a DIY job ?

The Rock

Reaction score
With springs you are best to get them from MB as Europarts only seem to stock one type and there are five types for W124s. If you fit a spring that is too weak, then it will probably break quite quickly.

MB supplied and fitted the WRONG springs on my E300TD Avantgarde. They fitted Elegance springs. They didn't even notice until they returned the car to me and I said "WTF?".

They replaced them FOC of course but that's not my point. They can, and do, make mistakes. What I couldn't understand is why it took ME to tell THEM that it was wrong - How many trained technicians does it take eh?

Rock

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
MB supplied and fitted the WRONG springs on my E300TD Avantgarde. They fitted Elegance springs. They didn't even notice until they returned the car to me and I said "WTF?".

They replaced them FOC of course but that's not my point. They can, and do, make mistakes. What I couldn't understand is why it took ME to tell THEM that it was wrong - How many trained technicians does it take eh?

Rock

I know that it was wrong of me but I had to laugh at yor post :shock:

jackabea

Reaction score
Website
www.classicweddingcars.webs.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 380SEL
your springs!

My car is on for a service at the minute and the guy has just called me to say both rear springs are broken and the fronts are badly rusted, meaning all four need replacing. It recently passed an mot and he said hes amazed they passed it because it should of been a straight failure. Any rough ideas what this is likely to cost me? Hes going to get a price from mercedes, he's an ex mechanic for them. Are there any other good makes i can get cheaper? He said they are quite hard to find the right match but hes gonna have a look arounbd from prices for me.

hi, try dronsfields in yorkshire, they do mail order and are very good with new and used parts, hope this helps.
regards they are on the net, sorry cant think of adds but just

jackabea

Last edited:

coach0173

Reaction score
checked my nosie from N/SR and guess what , broken spring MB peterborough quote labour £171 plus springs total inc VAT = £298.54 not sure to do it myself or not.
main concern is do i have the tools to do it ?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
checked my nosie from N/SR and guess what , broken spring MB peterborough quote labour £171 plus springs total inc VAT = £298.54 not sure to do it myself or not.
main concern is do i have the tools to do it ?

Not sure what model your car is but MB Leeds charged me £170 for 2 front springs - fitted (2004 E270).
So, Peterborough is well over the top IMHO. Suggest you'll take it elsewhere unless they do something with the price. They have some room for menouver so don't accept their initial price.

ionod55555

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anybody please advise me where I can find a reliable indi garage around Chiswick (London) that can replace my rear springs.

Regards

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not easy as could be London prices

Wayne gates HARROW 0208 863 9233
Edwards Wembley 0208 9023509

Ring and ask for a price, then compare with S-A-M and it could pay you to go down there

ionod55555

Reaction score
Broken springs

Hi Television,

Will phone both Wembley and Harrow tomorrow for prices thanks.

S-A-M ?

regards,

ionod55555

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Television,

Will phone both Wembley and Harrow tomorrow for prices thanks.

S-A-M ?

regards,

ionod55555
SAM is down in Southampton, but they do things while you wait, it depends on the prices quoted as to whether it is worth while

ionod55555

Reaction score
Broken Springs

Hi Television,

Phoned Kwik fit, they can do new springs and shocks for £400 fitted. has anybody used them before do you know?

Will try prices from Harrow and Wembley later on today.

Regards,

ionod55555

steviewestlea

Reaction score
W203 Springs

'52' plate W203 Estate C270 CDI with 98K on the clock.

My tale of woe sounds vey familiar. Car passed MOT 2 months ago no problems, I gave the car to a mechanic friend of mine while I was on holiday for an interim service and Front and Rear anti-roll bar bushes because I had lots of creaking and vibration under braking When I returned he reported broken OSF spring and also broken NSR spring. So off to MB for the parts beacuse my car was fitted with 'sports' suspension. MB dealer price for 4 springs is around £230 inc vat, picked up new springs, gave car to mechanic friend. He changed both rears OK but couldn't get the new front spring compressed enough to fit it and suggested ther might be special tool. Took both front legs and springs off to MB (yesterday) and asked if they could fit springs for me. After an inital quote of £220 for fitting, the service manager realised I had the legs in the car and so I left them with him.
Hopefully I'll get them back today, I'd expect to pay around £100(ish) labour to fit the new springs to the legs, but have an awful feeling..... they will condemn the dampers and in total its gonna cost me 4 springs 2 dampers and lots of labour charges. I'll report back when job is finished
Oh by the way.... I enjoyed the holiday

Regards
Steve

steviewestlea

Reaction score
All done now, handling much improved and no clonks, dealer charged a respectable £62 to fit the front springs to the dampers, equates to around 1/2hr labour. Total cost £360 fitted.

Regards
Steve

BrushVeteran

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 V250 Sport X-long
I have just joined today.
I have a 2001 C220 CDI Elegance Saloon with 59K and owned by me from new. Before I write to MB I thought it worth joining this forum to see what experiences I can share with other owners. From my initial thoughts I feel somewhat astounded that we have all got quality cars which seem to be missing the quality factor.
My car was diagnosed with a broken rear spring in March 2008 when the MOT was due, mileage 48K. I have now been diagnosed with a nearside front spring failure at 59K. Why should these springs be so week. I do 7.5K a year and really look after my car. It has always been main dealer (supplying dealer) serviced but after the last one, where the car came back dirtier insde than when it went and with a boot light bulb diagnosed but not replaced!, I feel that I am now being steered to paying through the nose for owning a MB.
I made a warranty issue with MB four years ago when my two front wheels started corroding and were replaced FOC, only to find four years later the replacements are just as bad, yet the original eight year old rears are fine.
Anyway I digress, my wife's Rover 25 Sdi has done 112K and is the same age with no broken springs and doesn't cost me £110 per hour in labour charges. The residual value is falling at a slower rate but I do like my Mercedes Are we to continue accepting these quality problems on what seems to me to be not fair wear and tear or is this the price we pay for owning a MB.
Do you think it is worth my my while complaining to MB about this quality issue or is it generally thought to be acceptable?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
However long you've had it, a 2001 car is 8 years old so no I don't think its worth complaining.
MB springs do seem a bit weak - I recently changed the 2 front ones on mine and thats 3 years younger than yours. Some blame has to be laid at the door of the council and their speed bump obsession but no they shouldn't break.
At that age I wouldn't be using the dealer at £110 per hour any more. I'd be using a recommended indie Far cheaper and a better service to boot!. Mine's on the knife edge and will swing on what the qute for the next service comes to. A fraction too much from the dealer and she's going straight back to the indie.

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
From the failures I've seen on a number of makes and models [it's not just MB by a long chalk!], the failure is usually where the corrosion protection has been broken and the spring material itself has begun to corrode - with the products of corrosion helping to wedge open the faces of the crack.

I don't have any hard evidence to prove this, but, I suspect a combination of factors;

1) Spring corrosion protection using heavy metal plating has become difficult or even outlawed under EU rulings

2) Springs now tend to be the progressive type where more coils come into contact with the spring cup as the suspension deflects - this allows a softer initial spring setting with better ride, but, firms up as the suspension deflects and spring coils become ineffective. This repetitive making and breaking of contact is very hard on the spring's protective coating. This, I think, explains why the failures tend to be towards the ends of the spring rather than in the centre.

I don't think it's anything to do with the detail of the spring shape at its end, as I've seen failures in pig tailed springs, where the pig tailed end coil is generally thought to relieve any extra stresses.

S

Seraj

For a pair of front springs,I was quoted £93.80 for mercedes springs and £69.80 for spurious springs.

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
I think the rears on my W203 estate have been replaced already (92k) as they look very 'new' - so looks like previous owner has replaced them - and also the front drop links as I was investigating a knocking (see other post)
Certainly not just MB though, my previous Audi had a rear broken that I didn't notice until jacking the car to change the rear pads - and BBOOING out it popped with no weight on it. Not a hard job to change really - but hoping I won't have to do it at least on the rear of my car for some time!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom