Buckled and Cracked 20" Alloys - 2016 W222 S Class

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
Back in June, my 2010 W221 S Class was written off following a fairly light front end impact. While working away in Cardiff shortly afterwards, I managed to find a replacement while late night surfing in my hotel room in Cardiff, but the car was in Guildford at Sandown Mercedes.

I reserved the car online with a £500 deposit and travelled over the next day to have a test drive (covid safe one of course)

I took the car out, it drove very well and I bought it. It was delivered all the way to my house in Warrington and it sat on my drive for a few days as I still had an Audi A8 courtesy car. The weekend after it was delivered, I took it out for a spin. The first time I got to motorway speeds on thr M62, there was a vibration that could be felt through the whole car. I spoke to MB Guildford and they said to get it into Warrington MB and they would sort it under warranty. Sadly, Warrington MB cancelled the visit due to staff shortages and it was only last week I could get the car in.

The report back was a sickener. Two buckled wheels and a welded repair to the rear offside wheel.

I spoke to MB Guildford who were very apologetic and said it shouldn't have left the showroom like that, especially as it had had 4 new tyres fitted before it was shipped to me.

Just had a message from MB Guildford saying they are sending a new set of wheels up to Warrington next week and very apologetic for the experience I'd had.

Can't say fairer than that for service. Yes it should have been picked up during the PDI, but as all this happened during lockdown and the pandemic, I think that is pretty amazing service

I have always said it and I'll say it again. S Class Mercedes cars should not be fitted with 20" alloys. The cars are too heavy and there is not enough rubber on the tyres to truly enjoy driving them. I fitted 20" alloys on my 06 W221 and both rear wheels (275 wide) cracked within 12 months.) Stick to 19" wheels and tyres.... far better ride quality Screenshot (721).png Screenshot (719).png

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Nice to hear of dealer standing up instead of squealing.so much of this is lottery as opposed to policy. But fair play to them if ur ever looking another car follow the guy who made that decision rather than the dealer name.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Yep great to hear of an MB dealer sorting out a problem immediately, instead of the oft heard "it's a used car sir, what do you expect?"

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Good to hear something turn out well for a change.

Agree with the OP on the cause - big heavy car and UK roads - 19in wheels are the limit IMO

OP
barry jones

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
Well just to finish off the thread, I had the new wheels fitted today at MB Warrington (Supplied by MB Guildford)

The difference is amazing. The car drives as smooth as you would expect an S Class to drive. No vibrations at 65mph and above...

I can't praise both dealers enough... great service and very quick resolution by MB Guildford once the problem was pointed out. No haggling, no trying to distance themselves from their responsibilities... Just as it should be

I am one happy bunny today!!

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Nice outcome, Barry, as you say, as it should be, enjoy your S class. :):D

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
You are so right..this also applies to other models, my SL350 rides so much better on 17" rather than 19" wheels.
Agreed, but doesn't look as good. :):rolleyes::D

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
I have 19s on my W222 and have sometimes thought that 18s might be better. The only noise when cruising is from the tyres and a deeper wall might be quieter.

My old E class on 17s had less tyre noise

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Thats the advantage and peace of mind atleast when buying approved used.
The warranty is pretty good.

just be careful going over potholes. you know the alloys are like popadoms.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom