Budget tyres

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
A bit of a tricky one..

I need to change 3 of the four tyres...Currently I have P6000s all round (225/50/16 W92)

I was looking at the budget range as the cashflows a little tight at present.

I'd be grateful if someone can tell me..

1) Are there any major problems (ie grip/safety) with the budget tyres? ie should I steer clear (no pun intended :p)

(I've seen some for around £50 each inc. fitting on one of the popular websites, and an quite tempted)

2) What speed rating do I need? Currently I have 'W's all round, is it Ok to switch to 'V's without invalidating my insurance? If so, is it OK to have three new V-rated tyres and one W-rated one (current).

Any advice is much appreciated.

:)

Arkonite

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w215 2001 CL500
you should never mix speed ratings ie 3 of one and one of another as you suggest. change all four and keep the odd one for emergencys.
You will be limited to a max speed for the tyres you fit, and should check with your insurance co if reducing the rating will impair your cover.
In reality your tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road so i personally would think very carefully before you reduce your tyre speed ratings to save a few quid.
Spend the extra few quid and get the correctly rated tyres, that way you are less likely to wrap yourself round a tree or plough through a que of people at a bus stop.

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
lol, thanks - very wise words.

I think I'll increase my budget and spend a little more...not into taking risks personally!

Cheers guys

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Depending on the what size you require, you can still find some budget 'w' rated tyres for a few quids more. I personally do not think changing your tyre would invalidate your insurance as long as you dnt get some rethreaded cheap junk. If they are legit tyres with correct load, you will have no problems.

There are many companies selling all type of tyres on Ebay. Give that a try but be careful as you will need to spend £5-£7 a corner for fitting these tyres(some companies offer free fitting if you go n collect the tyres from their warehouse)

Brands such as Falken, Kumho, Fullrun etc are all very high rated and been tested by many.

Goodluck

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
cheaper tyres in my experience dont tend to give the mileage that branded tyres do. i mean unheard of brands. likes of kumho, tigar, india, etc are ok, but names like nankang etc that no one has ever heard of? dont touch them. some muppet put nankang tyres on my car, 10k miles theyre almost shot, and the wet grip is non existent! its like being on ice!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interesting thing is that Kumho are much more expensive now than other premium brands for the size on my car. Many tyre firms get bought out like Nokian and a few other and are used as a cheaper alternative to their own brand

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
lol, thanks - very wise words.

I think I'll increase my budget and spend a little more...not into taking risks personally!

Cheers guys

Check out COOPER TIRES - yup American, they are mid price range, good in the wet and (so far) mileage is looking good.

Leave budget tyres well alone unless you intend to 'pootle around town' at no more than 30.

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Thanks once again. Just as well that I asked on here, was about to spend 150 quid on 3 new budget tyres, which probably would have been a very bad idea indeed...

Anyway, I've seen some Avon tyres which are reasonably priced. Anyone heard of them? Any good?

Cheers in advance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks once again. Just as well that I asked on here, was about to spend 150 quid on 3 new budget tyres, which probably would have been a very bad idea indeed...

Anyway, I've seen some Avon tyres which are reasonably priced. Anyone heard of them? Any good?

Cheers in advance

Avon are a very old company and nothing wrong with them

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I can be dead scientific here

2 identical s210 e320 cdi estates. Hers has new-ish Barum Bravuris 2, less than 10k on them,( continentals budget brand £70ish a corner) Mine has brand new , less than 3k on them Kwik-fit Lassa own brand performance tyres. Guess what, drive them back to back, and mine first, you think hmmmm, not so bad. drive hers and you'd think it was glued to the road. go back to mine and you think the tyres must be made of ice.
We get 30k out of the barums, good wet and cold performance. I'm just trying to bring myself to ditch a set of tyres that are barely worn in. I'll probably wait until winter and do it then.
The Barums feel better to me than the Michelin pilots I use to run.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2 identical s210 e320 cdi estates. Hers has new-ish Barum Bravuris 2, less than 10k on them,( continentals budget brand £70ish a corner) Mine has brand new , less than 3k on them Kwik-fit Lassa own brand performance tyres. Guess what, drive them back to back, and mine first, you think hmmmm, not so bad. drive hers and you'd think it was glued to the road. go back to mine and you think the tyres must be made of ice.
We get 30k out of the barums, good wet and cold performance. I'm just trying to bring myself to ditch a set of tyres that are barely worn in. I'll probably wait until winter and do it then.

that proves my point. if you are needing to economise (many of us do at the moment) go for a mid range tyre rather than the cheapest you can get. especially for a big hevy car like a MB. cheapest are fine for small french cars that weigh less than a paper bag, but not good for a 'proper' car

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda

As you say, Barum are Conti and fairly well regarded. I've seen Lassa but don't know much about them. Allegedly they're connected to Bridgestone in some way but I don't know how much.

TOMROB53

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E320 2002 Estate W210
Glad to see that someone agrees with me on the Barums, superb roadholding and performance for the price

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Just thought you would like to know that it is possible to get decent tyres at a reasonable price..
On Saturday I bought 2 Continental "Original Mercedes fit" 205 / 55 x 16 tyres from a small garage local to me (and Hooded Claw) for a total of £149.50 .. Beleive it or not I had been quoted up to $420 for those same 2 tyres !!!!!!
My VW Golf tyres were £125 each (From the same little garage thats local to me) cos they were 17" wheels and an unusual size.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i priced some tyres at blackcircles.com and the CHEAPEST tyre for my car (215/55x16) was £70! or thereabouts! dad got michelins for his 203 (195/65x15) for less than that! i know theyre smaller tyres, but still!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Tyres and the cars they fit can influence the price.
The tyres for the AMG wheels on my car 285 x 30 x 19 were £85 more expensive that the 175 x 35 x 19 that I bought.

The only effect is that I have lost my 10% speedo error and it now reads exact

coolhans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Present 2004 W211 E500, 1995 W124 E320 CE Coupe.
New tyres

I bought my E280 CDI estate at the beginning of the year and had to put a set of tyres on it. I was thinking of cheap tyres especially as I drive around like a grandad most of the time according to my sons. However sometimes when the sun shines I feel like a play and it's times like that you get caught out. Mercs are big heavy cars and I would not forgive myself if anything happened to my family or others because I bought cheap tyres. I think it's false economy anyway, you have to think of wear and tear. Budget tyres don't last as long. I'd go for middle of the road at least if money is tight. Stay safe.

OP
M

mercdriver25

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Auto (w203)
Well I've decided on either of the following...

Replace with

1) Three x p6000 pirelli powergy - the best price is £100/corner all in.. (making all four tyres the same)

or

2) Three x Barum Bravuris 2 - the best price is £70 per corner all in (I'm told these are very good tyre)..

The second options will save me around a tonne.. tempted...but has anyone used the BB2 on their merc?

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Tyres and the cars they fit can influence the price.
The tyres for the AMG wheels on my car 285 x 30 x 19 were £85 more expensive that the 175 x 35 x 19 that I bought.

The only effect is that I have lost my 10% speedo error and it now reads exact

Did you get them from a bike shop Malcolm? :) (175....)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom