1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug guts...

Discussion in 'Autocare, Detailing, Valet, Product reviews' started by Bopo, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Bopo

Bopo Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDi AMG Night Premium Plus (Sept 2015) with GAD Tuning re-map. Definitely not double badged.
    Just a quickie... I do a lot of motorway miles so my car gets covered with a lot of insect brains / guts.

They don't seem to come off with a snow-foam wash so I'd have to scrub at them with a cloth. Not good. I needed to find a better 'solution', so to speak.

I found a strong mix of APC as a pre wash does the trick. I use Meguiars at 4:1 as my strong mix (upholstery gets 10:1) but I'm sure other APCs would work.

I use a generic spray bottle I got from Amazon to mix it and spray the bug splats while I'm doing the wheels. By the time I snow foam the car even the 'Starship Troopers' sized bugs have become smears of bug-custard down my bonnet and grille.

No scrubbing needed. Thought I'd share as you've probably already got the necessary products but didn't realise APC was this useful!

Happy detailing.

2. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 AMG Line
    A good citrus cleaner works well (I use the Autofinesse stuff) however if you have a good sealant or coating on the paintwork they do come off quite easily.

Bopo likes this.
  3. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    As above get a ceramic after you’ve all the bugs off
    Also to get the critters off - drape an old towel over the bug spatter area and pour hot water on, leave for 10 /15 minutes and most of the cack will lift off without drama. I also use a Gyeon product after on any of the stubborn ones
    As you’ve found , don’t scrub you’ll swirl your paint or worse.
    Same as above for bird poo by the way...ask me how I know ?

Bopo likes this.
  4. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG/ 2014 W212 E63 Biturbo
    I have found the Halfords branded bug removal spray in the green bottle is effective.
    Spray the bugs, leave for 5 mins, wash off with no drama.

5. OP
    Bopo

Bopo Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDi AMG Night Premium Plus (Sept 2015) with GAD Tuning re-map. Definitely not double badged.
    Ceramic is definitely on the cards. I'd like to do it myself. My paintwork is in very good condition - thankfully it seems the previous owner never allowed anyone to stick a sponge over it as there are very few marks in the paint - but I'd like to first use a mech polisher and a mild compound to clear any imperfections.

I'll never get the wet look on pearl white paint but I've found that carnuba wax after a LOT of oxide remover really gets the metallic showing, so a few coats of that, a sealer and then a ceramic coat should leave me with nothing more than an occasional two stage wash to keep her looking fantastic.

I can only assume you are visited by the same winged behemoth that unloads the ungodly contents of it's capacious bowels all over my paintwork even before the polish has hardened?

John Laidlaw likes this.
  6. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 AMG Line
    No point putting ceramic on sealer - one or the other!

7. OP
    Bopo

Bopo Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    By sealer I only meant a second stage polish, but I'll look into it a bit more. Cheers!

rorywquin likes this.
  8. dry run

dry run Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2013 C207 E 350 CDi Coupe
    My 3500 psi pressure washer seems to do the trick :)

Bopo likes this.
  9. Morethanpolish

Morethanpolish Senior Member Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    CLK 200 Kompressor
    I've been using thisi for about 4 bug seasons, and its brilliant. Don't even need a pressure washer to wash them off after a dwell time of 2-3 minutes.
    And its also wax safe - unlike APC which will dissolve your wax. I have 3 cars to do and a bottle lasts me 2 seasons, no bad for £7.49 for a litre.
    https://morethanpolish.com/product/kenotek-anti-insect-cleaner-1-litre/

Bopo likes this.
  10. OP
    Bopo

Bopo Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I didn't know APC would damage wax! I've ordered a bottle of Kenotek to try.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019