Bumper help

Heero

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl320
Hi all I'm after some help, I was enjoying the sun in the car as we all do, I was coming round a bend and there was a dead badger in the road I had no chance to avoid it and hit it, as you can see its done some great damage, I was wondering could it be repaired the Tear is clean I have been missing the tow hole cover for ages, if it is not worth saving I was wonder does anyone know what bumper is in my car it looks different from other sl320 bumpers I have seen or I could be wrong:Oops:

Many regards

Jay

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
A Clean break so if you could get it plastic welded it would be quite an easy fix and as it is down low the repair wouldn't be immediately visible...
Suggest you shop around for another bumper first..

stevenN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W210 2002
I had a similar problem with mine.
Used stainless steel mesh and a soldering iron to melt the plastic to bed it in.
If you have some of the broken bits of plastic you can use these as solder to weld the plastic cracks together.
You can then use a special plastic filer to fill in the holes.
You then need plastic primer and a top coat.
Paint all the filler both sides as it absorbs moisture.
If your bumper is made of the same type of plastic as mine you can't use fibre glass as it won't stick.

I couldn't get a bumper within my budget but I did look as swapping a bumper is easier.

Where are you?

Regards

Steve

OP
H

Heero

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl320
I had a similar problem with mine.
Used stainless steel mesh and a soldering iron to melt the plastic to bed it in.
If you have some of the broken bits of plastic you can use these as solder to weld the plastic cracks together.
You can then use a special plastic filer to fill in the holes.
You then need plastic primer and a top coat.
Paint all the filler both sides as it absorbs moisture.
If your bumper is made of the same type of plastic as mine you can't use fibre glass as it won't stick.

I couldn't get a bumper within my budget but I did look as swapping a bumper is easier.

Where are you?

Regards

Steve

I am based on the sunny south coast of brighton,

If I wanted to get a full bumper respray for a different bumper how ,inch would I be looking at :confused:

ianstaley

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270CDi 2001.
You can easily repair the bumper, it would be best to remove it from the car and you will need to set it on a bench or stand. you can get a kit from here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WAYSIDE-ADHESIVES-DIRECT/PLASTIC-BUMPER-REPAIRS-/_i.html?_fsub=7527791

and here

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/1406...ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63&ff19=0

and you maybe should invest in one of these ....as this is the best way

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Pl...A%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=21&pmod=140613212827&ps=54.

and go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex_z7hCYWCA to see how it's done keep watching as it is a Merc Bumper too.

Have fun Ian

stevenN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI W210 2002
I would guess getting a bumper painted would cost about £100
I would try to get one the same color

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
I reckon rather than go through the hassle of repair just get a bumper off ebay or a breakers yard

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have tried the Wayside Adhesive Kit and found it to be very poor quality.
Instead of repairing the break yourself there are people who just fix plastics and it works out competitively when the costs of equipping yourself are factored in.
The bumper removed cleaned and dropped off at a decent bodyshop should cost under two hundred.

thejohn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C270CDI Estate Elegance
I have had some success using melted cable ties that were the same colour, well nearly. I also used a soldering iron to melt the cable tie after grinding a V in the bumper with a dremel type tool.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom