Bumps and suspension

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Also remember that what suits a 300hp front wheel drive hot hatch may not suit a 170 hp diesel rear wheel drive family saloon.

Personally I run my 1993 500SL and Smart Roadster on Uniroyal Rainsport 3s, up until metal worm claimed it the same on my old E Class estate. I'm very happy with the RS3s.

My 2002 SL500 is on Goodyear Assymetric 2s on the front and Falken FK510s rear (rears wore out and Uniroyal don't do the size it needs and I wasn't impressed with the Assymetric 2s on the rear - far too easy to breakaway in the wet). Still looking for the right tyre for that one as the Falken is better but not great once part worn.

Last Avon's I used were on an A8 and they were very good but prone to rapid wear but again it was some years ago. Avon's still tempt me.

On our MINI Cooper S we have Dunlop's and they do seem very good. Price is attractive now too so could be a contender next time for one of the others. As mentioned the R is on cheap Chinese tyres which will be replaced with better but at this time no decision what as it runs SUV tyres.

Last edited:
OP
D

DataDave

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLA 220d
Thanks both! Very useful. So I am not alone in thinking about my tyres far in advance of needing them.

I am not convinced the continentals are that good for even the shallow pot holes. I feel everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoKiE1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W209 CLK 2.7 CDI Coupe Avantgarde Auto
Iv been thinking about Avon ZV7s for my W209 CLK 2.7CDI quite a while, thanks for the discussion here; seems from what Iv read Tests prior to 2019 Auto Express etc (a lot have used this same test frrom few years ago) rated them 9/10 in the ten tires tested...

However the tests was in Stupid Degree oC Texas Heat lol... Im in Sunny Manchester freezing my Nads off so as mentioned the Pro tests by publications are well, not worth the paper for me. What works well in Texas is a million miles away from a Real Life Winter journey over Wood Head or Snake Pass or the M62... So Most owner reviews which are current post 2019 give good feedback on the Avon ZV7s all round wet/dry/handling and comfort (the older reviews on some sights mention cracking, but maybe the owners were running silly pressures on their EVo Nutter Turbo Supercharged Jap Import Essex Babe puller)

I normally run Pirelli Cinturato P7s on W209 on my past cars W219 Bridgstones, W210 Continentals... Im going British with the Avons now, got a side wall gouge on nearside front so going put pair Avon ZV7s on this week as dont want risk a Blow out will report back on my feedback in few weeks...

As a Side I used to have a silly motor 20 odd years ago MR2 T-Bar Remapped etc - Spent arm & a Leg on some Yokohama's... Spun the car coming off the M62 slip (heavy rain, hit flood water running right across the slip rd from a Farmers field early hrs of morning) unlit section luckily no other vehicles about, was doing bout 70 when went through it the car done complete spin and I just carried on lol (pure luck I think rather than my Cat like reactions - other than I shat my pants !!

No not just above instance either, the MR2 was jittery on the Yoks I binned em for Bridgstones within a year they was RUBBISH and top dollar... anyway Im reserved 50 something now... I dont do speed anymore Officer

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
Q
Iv been thinking about Avon ZV7s for my W209 CLK 2.7CDI quite a while, thanks for the discussion here; seems from what Iv read Tests prior to 2019 Auto Express etc (a lot have used this same test frrom few years ago) rated them 9/10 in the ten tires tested...

However the tests was in Stupid Degree oC Texas Heat lol... Im in Sunny Manchester freezing my Nads off so as mentioned the Pro tests by publications are well, not worth the paper for me. What works well in Texas is a million miles away from a Real Life Winter journey over Wood Head or Snake Pass or the M62... So Most owner reviews which are current post 2019 give good feedback on the Avon ZV7s all round wet/dry/handling and comfort (the older reviews on some sights mention cracking, but maybe the owners were running silly pressures on their EVo Nutter Turbo Supercharged Jap Import Essex Babe puller)

I normally run Pirelli Cinturato P7s on W209 on my past cars W219 Bridgstones, W210 Continentals... Im going British with the Avons now, got a side wall gouge on nearside front so going put pair Avon ZV7s on this week as dont want risk a Blow out will report back on my feedback in few weeks...

As a Side I used to have a silly motor 20 odd years ago MR2 T-Bar Remapped etc - Spent arm & a Leg on some Yokohama's... Spun the car coming off the M62 slip (heavy rain, hit flood water running right across the slip rd from a Farmers field early hrs of morning) unlit section luckily no other vehicles about, was doing bout 70 when went through it the car done complete spin and I just carried on lol (pure luck I think rather than my Cat like reactions - other than I shat my pants !!

No not just above instance either, the MR2 was jittery on the Yoks I binned em for Bridgstones within a year they was RUBBISH and top dollar... anyway Im reserved 50 something now... I dont do speed anymore Officer
Ha ha - there are certain conditions where you could have velcro on your tyres and they'd still let go...

Please let us know how you get on with the Avons!

LoKiE1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ordered a pair fronts std size for my W209 CLK is 205/55/R16 91V (speed rating av gone for) Avon ZV7 £103 delivered for the pair

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Never heard of Nexen tyres. Any good?

Nexen's are not bad, my recommendation is Uniroyal Rainsports. A good balance between cost wear & performance.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Ordered a pair fronts std size for my W209 CLK is 205/55/R16 91V (speed rating av gone for) Avon ZV7 £103 delivered for the pair
A good price let us know how you get on. I have Avons on my motorcycle at the moment, very impressed.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
For the OP.

Another thing to bear in mind is do not be surprised at what a battering suspension components take on our roads. Despite not showing up on MOTs in the early/average stages bushes, joints and suspension top mounts can cause less than a perfect driving experience.

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
Great price! I've got those stupid 265x35x18s at the rear and 245x40x18s at the front so I'm looking at an average of about £115 PER TYRE for the Avons. Mind you, the previous owner was regularly throwing on Continentals and Bridgestones at £165+ a pop...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Great price! I've got those stupid 265x35x18s at the rear and 245x40x18s at the front so I'm looking at an average of about £115 PER TYRE for the Avons. Mind you, the previous owner was regularly throwing on Continentals and Bridgestones at £165+ a pop...
Just be thankful you're not running what I am on the 230.
285/35 19s come in at £188 each for Goodyear Assymetric 2s....
Falken are £177 and there's sod all else available!

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just be thankful you're not running what I am on the 230.
285/35 19s come in at £188 each for Goodyear Assymetric 2s....
Falken are £177 and there's sod all else available!
:confused:

LoKiE1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Another thing to throw in the Mix - Suspension;
mines on a 2005 plate, 97700miles (I know just about run in) had her since Dec 2018, only real thing needed was a few niggles to sort and had Glow Plug Light up, I changed the five GPs myself no issues ( a 'Nipper Gland' tweeking experiance as your listening to the plugs creaking on gentle extraction, after a weeks worth of penetrating fluid squirted down respective orifices) But job well done... cost was £38 for 5 Bosch Glow Plugs, £14 for a Reamer & Extraction kit & £4 for Liqu-Moly White GP/Injector Grease

I love me CLK its quirky things pillerless wdws etc.. anyway I digress - Having done 91K when I got her I figured the suspension if I intend keeping her a few yrs is prob tired out, she drove ok etc but I decided to renew all suspension so would drive like new... so over 2019 I bought a front 12 pce Suspension kit online from Germany (was a breeze to order and delivered the week later then ftd no issues) then couple month later bought same, a kit for the rear (for some reason the same site did not do a rear kit for mine (same as a C-Class W203) So sourced this time within UK from three different suppliers (both kits were Febi - Mid Range priced OE rated, with a couple Lemforder componants which are premium) anyway sure enough this time one set of Dog bones were incorrect and another Clown sent an inferior item POS rubbish that went straight back. So car has had a full overall with all new in 2019, drives like a new motor. get these on and will give honest feed back in few weeks on fronts

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom