Burglary & theft of car

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Sadly not true.

Many people in this country wouldn’t use it or keep it unloaded, and some of these people are high on their drug cocktail of choice.... if you confront them, you may well have to be prepared to use it.

It’s why there are so many gun murders in the USA - they have the guns, but also no qualms in using them.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sadly not true.

Many people in this country wouldn’t use it or keep it unloaded, and some of these people are high on their drug cocktail of choice.... if you confront them, you may well have to be prepared to use it.

It’s why there are so many gun murders in the USA - they have the guns, but also no qualms in using them.
That may be true of ordinary theft but vehicle theft is usually organised. For them to go tooled up with firearms elevates the crime to a whole new level that the majority won't be willing to get involved in.

Drug addicts won't either - a gun is a saleable item that can buy a fix. It's the dealers that are likely to be tooled up and they get enough from dealing not to bother with theft.

My biggest risk in showing a firearm is ironically from the police...

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
It seems it’s the catalytic converters that’s top of the shopping list now. They say you can buy a guard that fits around it to stop them. But I don’t have that worry now. ;)
Afternoon Eman, I've ordered an EQC which is due in 4 weeks, I don't suppose you have any incredibly useful tips so far? The venture into this whole new world is exciting but daunting, how's the range anxiety?

I'm currently looking into a home charger, BP Pulse maybe?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
All the years of car ownership I've had only 2 cars nicked, first one was my 10year old MK4 Zephyr. They didn't get far as it ran out of fuel 200 metres down the road.
The second car nicked again was my 10year old Triumph 2000 MK1 which was involved in a police pursuit through Fulham, the cops lost sight but later found the car abandoned. Both cars I got back within a day :D
I try to avoid 10year old cars now!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've had 2 stolen as well.
First was my rally mini. They managed 2 corners (one was a T junction) before losing it and climbing a kerb rear end first bending rear swing arms and abandoning it.
Second was my Audi S3. They followed me back from the supermarket then when I nipped up stairs for a pee came into the kitchen and stole the keys off the worktop. That was involved in a police chase and recovered 2 months. I was asked if I wanted it back to which I said no thank you very much!

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
I think a bloke standing at the top of the stairs/door/window with a .22 rifle would be sufficient for them to think twice whether it was cocked and loaded or not.
I would expect three outcomes:
- they leave and don't come back (although another gang might); or,
- they are prepared to confront at all costs because they are on drugs or more scared of their gang boss overlord; or,
- they leave, and then send the heavy team round 100% tooled up either later, or try and arrange a spot away from home to teach me a lesson, ranging from severe assault and life changing injuries on the minor side, to death at the extreme.

I wouldn't be confident in the first option being anything like a dead certainty either

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would expect three outcomes:
- they leave and don't come back (although another gang might); or,
- they are prepared to confront at all costs because they are on drugs or more scared of their gang boss overlord; or,
- they leave, and then send the heavy team round 100% tooled up either later, or try and arrange a spot away from home to teach me a lesson, ranging from severe assault and life changing injuries on the minor side, to death at the extreme.

I wouldn't be confident in the first option being anything like a dead certainty either
As soon as they carry a firearm the offence becomes armed robbery. That carries mandatory jail terms even for attempting it. If they just go about their normal method of B&E and perhaps a bit of intimidation that carries a far lesser sentence and in some cases a slap on the wrist. They also know that if a member of the public calls reporting an armed intruder the police will be there in force and very quickly.
As for drugged up I doubt most of this type of offence has anything to do with drugged up thieves. It's more likely to be organised gangs.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think druggies try it on with door handles. The kind who breaks in and steals keys to nice cars are (as you say) much more organised and well thought out.

Sadly I do think however that the number doing this run by organised crime is higher than you think - and these guys don't qualm about carrying.

You have to make your choices of course, but mine will be to never come into contact with these people - let them have the keys, and the car.

Given I am a convert to having GAP on all my cars now, if I've had it 3 years, and it's nicked I get back the invoice price, which should get me into a better car - so it's not the end of the world.....

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
I think druggies try it on with door handles. The kind who breaks in and steals keys to nice cars are (as you say) much more organised and well thought out.

Sadly I do think however that the number doing this run by organised crime is higher than you think - and these guys don't qualm about carrying.

You have to make your choices of course, but mine will be to never come into contact with these people - let them have the keys, and the car.

Given I am a convert to having GAP on all my cars now, if I've had it 3 years, and it's nicked I get back the invoice price, which should get me into a better car - so it's not the end of the world.....
Yes not worth losing your life over as you can always get another car, these gangs are organised and ruthless

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
When I said 'on drugs', I didn't mean incoherent and broken addicts smashing down heroin every day. My assumption was that the sort of people who work at the coal face end of stealing cars are the minions in a gang land grinder, and are probably likely to engage in a lot more 'recreational' drug use than your average person who has a normal job. So I was assuming that rather than coming round having had a regimented routine of professionalism about their stealing, that it could easily be the possibility that the minions have taken some sort of 'recreational' form of drugs in the minutes or hours before heading out. And therefore, generally people who do a lot of recreational drugs and steal cars are probably not as mentally well balanced as people who don't do drugs.

And I wasn't suggesting they come back with weapons to steal the car, so not armed robbery. And not necessarily at my home. Just looking to mess me up for causing them a problem in the first place (the problem being, they couldn't do what they like).

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
I was thinking of hiring that kid from “Home Alone” to rig up the anti burglar set up :D:D:D:D

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Hi guys, as you may recall, back in July last year I posted my (first of many) thread, after buying my first MB (my pride and joy) This thread. Well 2 weeks ago we were burgled in the dead of night and my car keys taken together with my beloved car.

This was a 2016 W212 (E220) (presumably one of the last ones Mb made). It had the Mb connect and I had paid extra for ‘theft assistance’.

Take care.
sorry to hear. Merc me can't be a solution. Every thief will just unplug it.

On most new bikes they have aftermarket trackers fitted. Many won't insure without it (nice little £200 quid a year bonus on every bike sold !) . But its all rather silly. On the cars they are all fitted in the same place (just as prescribed by the manufacturer), and all the thieves will know and the same on the bikes and it would take all of 5 mins to locate it and remove.

The casual thieves just put it in a known spot and wait a few days, if plod recover it, then just steal another, if not, then its got no tracker or you removed it successfully.

You can buy aftermarket trackers and fit yourself for much less and its going to be less easy for them to find it. But I think Comandonline about 2 years back were offering an extra, adding a hidden PIN confirmation add on to get the original immobiliser to do its job even after you have the key. No use in countries where armed thugs will just kill the wife unless you tell them. But probably the best idea for the UK

Last edited:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I bought 4 of these for work, they have used 0.6mb of data in 9 months, so my giffgaff sim still has £9.90 of the £10 left on it, standby is 3 months, but you can permanently hardwire them to a 12v then hide behind the trim in the boot, centre console or wherever - cheap as chips, work perfectly

OP
Manc Rick

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
Thanks for all the comments - I really appreciate it. A few people mentioned the ghost immobiliser - I have put a website contact request in so hopefully I can get this installed ASAP.

The new e class seems to use the same Mercedes Me tracker. The thieves must have either disabled it or brought with them a signal jammer (apparently commonly used and easily obtained from the bay).

I also have some wheel clamps en route and I have bought a steering lock and had a burglar alarm installed.

On a more positive note, I’m really pleased with the new e-class. It’s cost me a good few quid extra but it’s got some nice toys and the 9g tronic.

Out of interest, I have heard from two different sources that having a personalised plate makes a car less desirable to thieves. Anybody else heard that? I can’t work out why that would act as a deterrent, given that they usually use cloned plates? Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks for all the comments - I really appreciate it. A few people mentioned the ghost immobiliser - I have put a website contact request in so hopefully I can get this installed ASAP.

The new e class seems to use the same Mercedes Me tracker. The thieves must have either disabled it or brought with them a signal jammer (apparently commonly used and easily obtained from the bay).

I also have some wheel clamps en route and I have bought a steering lock and had a burglar alarm installed.

On a more positive note, I’m really pleased with the new e-class. It’s cost me a good few quid extra but it’s got some nice toys and the 9g tronic.

Out of interest, I have heard from two different sources that having a personalised plate makes a car less desirable to thieves. Anybody else heard that? I can’t work out why that would act as a deterrent, given that they usually use cloned plates? Am I missing something?

Thanks again!
I can only think that a personalised plate makes the car more memorable to the general public.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can’t see how it would make a difference, but hey, go for it!

kotecki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2021 213 E300e estate 216Cdi Sprinter (stretched limo)
Had a good read of this scary, but very interesting thread.

Have tracking devices improved over the years? For our 211 we had a straight forward tracker.... full stop

Now we have a tracking device that works in conjunction with a dongle type thingie (technical jargon)

You can put the keys into the car, drive it away to your hearts content......

But... If the thief is not in possession of that dingly, dongle, the tracking company is immediately alerted. No alarms, no warnings.

Would I want our car back after it has been stolen?? Because of the hoops, jumps and obstacles we went through to get this unique car, I am tempted to say, "Yes" but if it was one of any number of mass produced Mercedes, then I would be tempted to try my hardest to say, "No thank you"

Lost Kiwi
Much respect to your stance regarding burglars coming into your house and may I very politely make a few observations...

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!!!! What the......??? :oops::oops:

In other words, a firearm in the hand is worth two firearms in a locked, secure firearms cabinet and I just know that is where you keep your rifle\rifles??

If a thief enters your property, steals your car keys and you disturb them, please think long and hard before putting pen to paper.. Yup, you might be in fear of your life and yup he was coming toward you with a deadly weapon and yup, you were in fear of your life or perhaps the lives of other occupants in your household. Nuff said.

We have all heard about the farmer that shot at two burglars, killing one and wounding the other thief. That was an interesting case where I am guessing we all have our own opinions, but we cannot shoot anyone that is running away from us. We cannot shoot anyone who does not, at the time of the incident put us in fear of our lives... This farmer very sadly, but very correctly was found guilty of murder, reduced to manslaughter Having an unloaded weapon in a firearms cabinet might not be the answer but I am guessing you never really meant what you said :) :)

I have met, arrested, chased and fought with many a burglar, they are nothing but scum and sadly they can be dangerous scum that might have numerous diseases connected with the taking of drugs.... Think long and hard before attempting to tackle, shoot or arrest this scum of the earth. Hepatitis, HIV or even AIDS are all diseases to steer well clear of!!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
We have all heard about the farmer that shot at two burglars, killing one and wounding the other thief. That was an interesting case where I am guessing we all have our own opinions, but we cannot shoot anyone that is running away from us. We cannot shoot anyone who does not, at the time of the incident put us in fear of our lives... This farmer very sadly, but very correctly was found guilty of murder, reduced to manslaughter Having an unloaded weapon in a firearms cabinet might not be the answer but I am guessing you never really meant what you said :) :)

There is much more to that story than the public is aware of, I personally knew the little scrote that was shot and knowing some of the things him and the other scumbag got up to it was inevitable.

Paul Garrett

Reaction score
There is much more to that story than the public is aware of, I personally knew the little scrote that was shot and knowing some of the things him and the other scumbag got up to it was inevitable.
As far as im concerned im glad Tony Martin shot him, pity he not shoot the others too! Too much emphasis is to protect the criminal nowadays as thats where the money is, so sick of the bleeding hearts about protecting scumbags who run over and kill people just to steal a car! No justice even when caught its just a slap on the wrist, no wonder scumbag crims smirk in court!....makes me sick

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
As far as im concerned im glad Tony Martin shot him, pity he not shoot the others too! Too much emphasis is to protect the criminal nowadays as thats where the money is, so sick of the bleeding hearts about protecting scumbags who run over and kill people just to steal a car! No justice even when caught its just a slap on the wrist, no wonder scumbag crims smirk in court!....makes me sick
To add insult to injury, Fred’s body was paraded through the town here like he was some sort of saint on the day of his funeral, brought the town to a complete standstill for hours as they took the horse draw carriage everywhere

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom