Burnt Out Ignition Coils

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
You do??? where is that then Mark???

That will be the first 208 i have EVER seen with a jump point under the bonnet!!:confused:

just in front of the data port, there is a plastic flap that lifts up to expose a large nut thats clamping down 2 or 3 thick cables. or is this not a jump point?

am going to battle with the rain and take a pic

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Please do Mark, i think we are talking abot the same box here!!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
here it is, heres hoping it is a jump point lol. I have put my car key next to it to get the idea of scale

1001904x.jpg

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
looks similar to mine but not the same as mines a slightly different arrangement with a nut coming up through a hole in te plastic box. wires are under the plastic, nut protrudes through into upper part of box fo jumping and then a lid over the lot! mine has a big red + on the lid. maybe im using the wrong thing but dont think i am!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well if nothing else, I know I cant jump it from there, as I would have, Oops,

Last edited:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
what is it ? apart from a big fat wire junction ?

Its a fused ign feed for something! will have to look it up now to see what it feeds!!

Yeah,thanks Mark, need to know myself now:confused::confused:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it'll keep you out of mischief for a little while!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think it is a jumping point, look at the size of the cable

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well 5 mins is 5 mins! dont want you having too much fun time to yourself, do we?

OP
S

Shannon

Reaction score
No I am driving it with two burnt out coils, so it is slow turning over when starting the engine, and runs rough, but I am pursuing AA for compensation.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
please clarify, how can you be sure the coils are at fault? was this MB diagnosis or fred in a shed? what fault codes have you? i would be amazed if the coils were damaged by the AA and the ecu survived, just not likely at all. certainly we would expect the ecu to be wiped out first as it supplies the coils (albeit earth switching, but still all the current).

the jump start damage scenario is really all about voltage `spikes` on connecting/disconnecting external power sources. these spikes are far more harmful to sensitive electronics like control units than ignition coils. as malcolm says, connecting/disconnecting with everything turned of is relatively safe if done properly. good luck with your AA claim but you will need diagnostic proof of your damaged parts and an engineers testimony to prove beyond doubt that the jump start was to blame.

in my years working daily with these cars the only parts i have ever seen damaged by jump starts are 129sl roof modules - many times! one guy even did two! otherewise despite our warnings, generally speaking, people get away with it - no harm done.

meanie

Reaction score
Change the coils & retain the old parts for your claim-the last thing that you want to do is carry on driving & knacker your catalytic converter as well.
If the spark plugs really were sh@gged out this could have a direct bearing on your coil failure.
Please don't take this the wrong way but I can see no basis for a claim here. As previously stated, if anything that wrong had been done you would have lost an ECU or two before it harmed a coil. I think that this was just an unfortunate coincedence.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom