burst radiator

Geoff W

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just got a free ride home tonight from the AA after my rad burst, due to being sat in standing traffic due to a bad accident for over an hour. The aa bloke thinks it is just the rad, so does anyone know the best place to get a replacement one, and should i use a genuine Merc one or are there alternatives?
All help appreciated

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Nothing wrong wit GSF or Euro for these parts,,it is easy to fit,,If you would like the instructions please ask

OP
Geoff W

Geoff W

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm, thanks for the speedy reply, the instructions for fitting would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Geoff.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can you jog me tomorrow night please

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Burst rad's can sometimes be caused by head gasket failure after which the cooling system over-pressurises due to high cylinder pressure entering the system, get this checked out BEFORE fitting the new rad.

It isnt normal for the rad to burst only because you were sat in traffic for a while, the cooling fan should easily maintain a normal temp....... possibly fan or thermostat failure needs to be investigated as well as possible head gasket failure.

Last edited:
OP
Geoff W

Geoff W

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for all the replies,
The recovery guy said to check the head gasket, but he thought i would get away with it as i had not actually driven in the overheated state? And now it's mentioned i never thought of the fan either as i was exhausted last night after standing on a hard shoulder for nearly two hours, then a hour and a half ride home!
How do i check the fan is operational, and how do i check the head gasket is ok?:confused:
Once again all help appreciated. Geoff.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Early C class rads often burst/split on the round header tank, very common and normally due to the plastic hardening with age. Doubt it if its your headgasket but check your fan operation.

OP
Geoff W

Geoff W

Reaction score
Hi. Yes it has burst just under the header tank at the top, the car is 12 years old, and the patrol guy did say he thought it could be age stress, question is how do i test the fan in this current state, Once the engine had cooled right down i filled up with water, and as the patrol had to pick up the car from behind, which he could not do on the motorway (Obviously i was facing forward, as was he) I had to drive the car to the exit about half a mile away, the car started ok and drove ok, although i did keep the speed down to a minimum.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The water pumps can also fail on these cars

OP
Geoff W

Geoff W

Reaction score
Hi All.
I have just had a good check around and there is definately no oil in the water and no water in the oil, so i am hopeing the gasket is ok, i am thinking the rad has gone due to old age! can anyone recommend a coarse of action to take, or is it a case of fit a new rad and then try and eliminate everything else like the fan, water pump, etc?
Regards Geoff.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes you have no choice now but to fit the new rad and we can take it from there.

I have the fitting instructions for you , but I need an Email address

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
I got my radiator re-cored. It cost £112 inc vat as is like new and guranteed for 1 year.

i guess it depends on the cost of a new rad vs a recon.... but something to consider.

i'm in scotland and went to ScotRad in edinburgh who were great but i suspect too far for you - take a look on upmystreet.com for car radiator repairers.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Hi All.
I have just had a good check around and there is definately no oil in the water and no water in the oil, so i am hopeing the gasket is ok, i am thinking the rad has gone due to old age! can anyone recommend a coarse of action to take, or is it a case of fit a new rad and then try and eliminate everything else like the fan, water pump, etc?
Regards Geoff.

Firstly, as a low cost precaution i would fit a new thermostat (as the original is possibly a few years old anyway) along with the new radiator..........then, run the engine with the rad cap off and check that the coolant isnt being forcefully ejected in a way that would indicate compression from the cylinders being responsible.....if all appears well run the engine untill it reaches circa 90 degrees at which point the fan should cut in, if it hasnt cut in by 100 degrees then there is a fault with the fan/fan switch.

OP
Geoff W

Geoff W

Reaction score
Just got a quote from GSF at £135.00 inc Vat for new rad, will collect today,
Just to note the car does not have an electric fan, just the viscous type.
I am going to fit the new rad, new hoses, clips etc, new thermostat,and a new rad cap, then see how if performs.
Many Thanks Geoff.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have the fitting instructions now :D

OP
Geoff W

Geoff W

Reaction score
Just an update to my problem, I think it was the viscous coupling on the fan that had failed, I tried the carrot test when the engine was up to temp and could stop the fan no problem.
I have fitted a new rad, new thermostat, new viscous coupling, and i am just waiting for new top & bottom hoses to be delivered before i can fill up & test.
I have checked the oil and water and there is definately no contamination, so i think i am ok on the head gasket.
I will report back when completed.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You are a fast worker Geoff :D:D

OP
Geoff W

Geoff W

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm, I cannot bear to have anything not working! Got all the parts from GSF as recommended by yourself, and saved a fortune on MB parts prices, everything fitted perfectly too! so many thanks to you for the info.
The only thing i could not get was the new hoses, these had to be ordered from MB direct, should be here tomorrow.
Many thanks Malcolm.:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is what a good forum is all about:D:D

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom