Buyer's Guide? People's Opinions!

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS 350 cdi W218 Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi PD
Hi all, I am thinking about buying a 2016 S350d with the 9 speed gearbox.
Is there a buyers guide somewhere, and of course, anyone who has experience of these cars, I would welcome your opinions and ownership experiences.
Many thanks in advance.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Hi! Nice choice. As it's relatively new, then previous owner(s) should have been keeping up the proper MB service to preserve warranty.
If the service history is there then really there shouldn't be any concerns.
If it's a dealer or a private sale ask to see the service print out. Check usual HPI and MOT history.

Sent from my KB2000 using Tapatalk

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. It's from a used car dealership. It shows 50,000 miles on the odometer, and is a one owner car with full service history.
It looks nice in the pics, as they always do. Should be nice then??

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
50k is an ok mileage and provided services are on time then all good. So that would be 5 MB services then?
Only thing I'd check would be tyres. They should have plenty of tread, ideally 5mm and decent make. All four the same manufacture. Continental or Michelin would be ideal.

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, tyres...
The amount of these cars I've been looking at over the past few weeks with ninkynonky nang kang no name mix and match tyres fitted to them is worrying.
I always expected to see top branded tyres on them.
The S class I'm looking at has Dunlops on it.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
At least not a bad tyre. But yes folk don't seem to understand that although decent tyres may seem expensive on a per mile basis they aren't. Michelin PS4s at £200 per corner v. Ditch Finders at £90 per corner. Actually only works out at something like 2p a mile extra for decent handling, better fuel economy and confidence in wet and dry!

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Absolutely! At least Dunlops are a famous brand, but I have to confess I know very little about them.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Sometimes when a car is ex lease of traded in the dealer will fit any tyre to sell the cars on., they may not have all had a bad life. The dealers are only interested in a quick turnaround and a good profit :)

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sometimes when a car is ex lease of traded in the dealer will fit any tyre to sell the cars on., they may not have all had a bad life. The dealers are only interested in a quick turnaround and a good profit :)
Yeah, that is very true. I think that is probably the case with 90% of the cars I've been looking at.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah, that is very true. I think that is probably the case with 90% of the cars I've been looking at.

Are the cars at a main Mercedes dealership?
You can call into the Mercedes dealer and give them a model, spec and budget and they will endeavour to help you find a suitable car, that's if you haven't already done so.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Agreed, but that sort of proves the point, mismatched brands, cheap tyre brands on premium cars all point to a dealer that isn't that invested in his new customers just the $.
Don't expect great customer service.
I usually judge a dealers suitability to sell me a car by how close his stock is to the price of what I'm looking for. Buying a second hand Bentley from a dealer who's next most expensive motor is £1500 just doesn't seem right?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agreed, but that sort of proves the point, mismatched brands, cheap tyre brands on premium cars all point to a dealer that isn't that invested in his new customers just the $.
Don't expect great customer service.
I usually judge a dealers suitability to sell me a car by how close his stock is to the price of what I'm looking for. Buying a second hand Bentley from a dealer who's next most expensive motor is £1500 just doesn't seem right?

Totally agree with you there ;)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have a 2011 E350CDI with the a 7G box, its been great car. My wife has the SLC250d with the 9G box which is a very nice box, much nicer than the 7G.
The 350 with the 9G must be the best option.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I have a 2016 CLS SHooting Brake 350d and 9 speed box.
built in the same factory as the S class.
very refined indeed. I've just had my gearbox serviced at just over 30K miles and the changes are imperceptible.
Cruising I get just under 40mpg and town driving Short trips I get about 18.
Airmatic is sublime
I've just put a full set of Dunlop Sport Maxx 2 on the car. Very quiet and seem to be wearing well and giving good performance wet and dry.
I hope you find a good one Jenny.

OP
Jenny Tills

Jenny Tills

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ha ha! Thanks for all your replies. Finally people who understand my sick, warped sense of humor!
Well after 4 days of intensive surfing, my efforts have proved fruitless. The number one choice won't pay me what I need for my CLS to make the deal, and as for the others... I've sent out 3 emails to various dealerships across the land, and none of them have bothered to get back in touch. What am I doing wrong?
I guess they are on holiday, or their having a bumper sales months, and can't be arsed with me.
The search continues....
Thanks for all your input.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Try looking at 6 series BMWs I couldn’t believe the trade in value given on AT it went up by £1K I wonder why

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom