Buying 2011 W212 E250 Cdi Estate

ima poster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2011/E250
Hello - I am considering buying an E250 CDi Sport Edition 125 Estate. Is there anything that I need to specifically look out for on a test drive? Is this considered as a good version of the E class? I know of some of the foibles of the 6 cyl diesels, but know virtually nothing about the 4 cyl though. Thank you.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
The twin turbo powerunits are a peach - lots of grunt from virtually zero revs.

They may not be V6 silky, but are very enjoyable nonetheless.
A 250 produces as much power as the previous inline 6 cylinder E320.

Last edited:

Wind up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320cdi / 2004 / 320
Make sure it is the 7 speed. Stick shift be steering wheel (post April cars i think).
we have the Avantgarde edition - very good car. economical and quite fast enough. A bit growly in town perhaps.
I think the sport tyres might be a touch loud

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
The big difference between the earlier 5 peed car and the later 7 speed is economy, the earlier one is low 30s where as the later one is low 40s mpg for most owners.

OP
I

ima poster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2011/E250
Is there anything on the body or interior that I need to check? Car will (if I but it) be from a Mercedes dealer and so covered by their Approved used car scheme and probably their finance as they are offering a reasonable APR and a £1000 deposit 'adder'. MGFV they have quoted seems very low though. Not sure how to go about negotiating an increase. The car is fitted with the pano roof, Artico/microfibre interior with Audio 50 other wise it is as far as I can tell, standard.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GFV will be pretty low as you will be coming to the end of your finance when the new E Class will be out.

If you are worried about GFV it makes me think that after 3 or 4 years you will be handing the keys back?
If that is the case and you don't want to own it at the end then why not contract hire it? Far cheaper.

Here is a new E220cdi AMG sport auto estate at £340 a month with £2k depsosit. (plus vat)

http://www.vehiclesavers.com/car-le...l-estate/e220-cdi-amg-sport-5dr-tip-auto.html

Remember the new car comes as standard with leather, dab, media interface, comand, online, pdc and bluetooth, oh and LED lights.

Plus you have full warranty and all the benefits of being in a brand new car.

That £340 is for 10k miles a year, 20k miles a year is £352.

Last edited:
OP
I

ima poster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2011/E250
If you are worried about GFV it makes me think that after 3 or 4 years you will be handing the keys back?
If that is the case and you don't want to own it at the end then why not contract hire it? Far cheaper.

No, I was thinking about the monthly payments, hadn't really thought through to the end of term when I would probably look to change for a newer car. A lower MGFV would give more of a deposit come time to change, so I guess not something to get hung up about.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
GFV will be pretty low as you will be coming to the end of your finance when the new E Class will be out.

Here is a new E220cdi AMG sport auto estate at £340 a month with £2k depsosit. (plus vat)

http://www.vehiclesavers.com/car-le...l-estate/e220-cdi-amg-sport-5dr-tip-auto.html

Remember the new car comes as standard with leather, dab, media interface, comand, online, pdc and bluetooth, oh and LED lights.

Plus you have full warranty and all the benefits of being in a brand new car.

That £340 is for 10k miles a year, 20k miles a year is £352.

Gonna bookmark them, shame I do 36k miles... Becomes blooming expensive

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But then, if you bought it new for £38k or a year old for £32k with 10k miles on it, what would it be worth at year 4 with 100k on it or year 5 with a 140k on it?

I was offered a 2010 E220cdi sport estate with 140k on it for £10k the other day, the dealer I know wasn't going to retail it, but he put it up for £12450 and got £12k for it the next day.

But shows that it will loose £20,000 over 3 years years if buying an ex demo, or £28,000 over 4 years from new.

So £550 a month at best or more like £585 a month.

Hence the contrast hire prices are not bad.

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No, I was thinking about the monthly payments, hadn't really thought through to the end of term when I would probably look to change for a newer car. A lower MGFV would give more of a deposit come time to change, so I guess not something to get hung up about.

What sort of prices they going for at main dealers then?
Age and mileage?

They looked really pricey when I looked a couple of weeks back, when I was offered that 140k mile one for £10k.

I was offered £18k from 4 Merc dealers when I sold my 2010 E350cdi estate last summer, with 30k on it. Even though they all had the on their forecourts for well over £25k still. :rolleyes:

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Dealers are it to make a big markup.

That said just worked out I bought my s211 at 2.5 year old from dealer on pcp. It will have cost me £340 per month to its Gfv. Which is up in August..

Shame if I'd known about yours would have worked out well for me,

I can't really make a brand new one work out, or rather I am not prepared to loose so much on depreciation for a work tool.

Merc agility are doing flat 5.5% in the brochure they have sent me, e220cdi amg estate 299 per month with £5k deposit.

The cls break looked fab....if only I were doing only 10k miles a year :cool: about £400 per month

OP
I

ima poster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2011/E250
Sept 2011 ('2012 model' whatever that means) E250 CDi Sport Estate Edition 125 with Pano sunroof, Audio 50 and Media interface & 30k miles going for £22k.

OP
I

ima poster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2011/E250
I bought it and initial impressions are that it is every bit as good as I hoped it would be.

Wind up

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320cdi / 2004 / 320
Good - pleased you like it. The 250 can be pretty brisk when needed and relaxing and fuel efficient otherwise. I think the 2012 model has colour instruments and a different place to put your ipod in.
I found the OEM Contis quite noisy on my Avtgde so i'd be interested to hear about the bigger sports tyres. When i changed to Michelin it was a lot quieter

OP
I

ima poster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2011/E250
Hi - I have been on a few Motorway runs, and whilst the tyres are not silent they are not intrusive. Loudest noise is the engine, to give a benchmark. Back seat passengers say the tyres are the main source of noise.

Overall consumption is around 45mpg with over 50 on the motorway. Beats the 22 I used to get in my previous 4x4 :D

Tyres are near-new MO spec Bridgestones, 245/40r18 at the front and 265/35R18 at the rear.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom