Buying a car on eBay without looking at it?

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
Yes or No and reasons why please.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Many people do buy from these places but the sale is final and binding even though it hasn't been seen, unless the seller has misrepresented the car in some way.

I'd stay well clear as it's a great place to sell lemons even though lot's of people will have bought good honest cars from honest dealers.

If you do buy from the likes of eBay, don't just look at the sellers score, read the reviews.

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Unless very unique and possibly a restoration then I would also say no... Especially reading about your car exploits here

(My e class is for sale btw)

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Unless very unique and possibly a restoration then I would also say no... Especially reading about your car exploits here

(My e class is for sale btw)

What kind of E-Class? I.E. What year and model?
Newcastle may be a bit too far for me to travel however.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
Below is the link to the car I am asking this question about.

My Mum and Dad say Leicester is too far and wont take me hence my question about whether it would be mad to bid and buy this car and have the garage deliver it to my address without seeing it in person.

They do a nationwide fully insured delivery service I'm hastened to add.

If I was to do this and it went tits up would I have any come back based on the fact that the advert was misleading and mentioned no faults should any occur?

On the other hand they may well be a 100% down to earth genuine family business selling a genuine car. Even if I go to see it I wouldn't know what could be wrong with it anyway so what's the harm in doing online bidding?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/VAUX...0068&clkid=9132973318704490488&_qi=RTM2063723

Last edited:

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The seller info says he's a motor dealer and he has great feedback.

Unfortunately all the feedback is from other sellers for stuff he bought.
Not a single feedback from him as a seller.

Hence my suggestion to always read feedback, don't just look at scores.
It looks wrong to me.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to add....
The feedback score could be from him buying penny washers or other less than a pound items, there's no info on the purchases.
This is a trick many bad sellers and scammers use although his purchases do go back over a year.

To the trusting potential buyer (yourself) it looks like he's sold 30 cars and had 100% happy customers.

Buying a car on eBay is like taking your money to the pub and buying from a bloke in a dark dingy corner with a big hat hiding his face who calls himself a silly name, that name is ysjmotorsport in the case of this seller.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I give up,,,

Some people learn from other peoples experience.
Some need to get it wrong and learn by their own mistakes.

Some will never make up their mind.
He's looking at an Astra on eBay and showing interest (although too far away) for an E class.
My guess is he'll still be narrowing his search down this time next year.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
An automatic Astra :eek:

Surely something nearer home that you can have looked at makes more sense ?

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Isn't buying a car through autotrader exactly the same kind of issue? Could still be a scam, but an h reg Astra for £900 is hardly real scam territory IMO.

Ps callumco mine is the one in my sig, 2009 estate auto currently up for. £6250 but will consider options. Ps we invented the railways up here so we have trains from the south ;-)

Just to add....
The feedback score could be from him buying penny washers or other less than a pound items, there's no info on the purchases.
This is a trick many bad sellers and scammers use although his purchases do go back over a year.

To the trusting potential buyer (yourself) it looks like he's sold 30 cars and had 100% happy customers.

Buying a car on eBay is like taking your money to the pub and buying from a bloke in a dark dingy corner with a big hat hiding his face who calls himself a silly name, that name is ysjmotorsport in the case of this seller.

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
An automatic Astra :eek:

Surely something nearer home that you can have looked at makes more sense ?

I love those 2nd generation Astras!
Do you not like them?
Why does it not make sense? Are they crap? Do they have a bad reputation?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
they were as cr@p as they come. they used to rot like mad, they used to eat camshafts for fun and thats just what i found in the 6 months that my sister had one, about 17 or 18 years ago!

i put up a link in another thread of yours (the last new one before this one) with an Auto Mondeo, much newer, low mileage, close to you, under £1000. but again, despite people trying to advise and help, you seem hell bent on ignoring them and want to buy old wrecks. the only ones that are really worth having are the GTE models. a bog standard GL with an auto box really isnt going to achieve 'iconic' status, no matter how hard you squint!

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
I drove one of those when they were new..... They were awful then, can't imagine that they have improved over time.

Philedge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500 2005(long gone but not forgotten)
Back to the OPs question-yes. So long as you always pay cash/BACS on collection, Ebay is no different than buying anywhere else. If the cars not as described walk away or renegotiate. Ask plenty of questions first and if theres any vagueness in the answers move on.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
dont know why im even bothering to do this AGAIN but if you REALLY WANT an astra in your life, try this one

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ge=4&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&logcode=p

or a Focus. drives a MILLION TIMES better than any astra. ive had one

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...usedcars&sort=mileage&price-to=1000&logcode=p

if you want 'old skool' then how about a pre facelift C180. looks good condition wise and leather is specced on it

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...transmission=automatic&sort=mileage&logcode=p

like your old nissan? how about a primera

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...earlynew,new&transmission=automatic&logcode=p

and probably the best car you will ever find, for the money, from a drivers point of view, the car to which all others are compared, the Mondeo

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...earch-target=usedcars&price-to=1000&logcode=p

its not like there are no suitable cars for you nearby, is it? and if i included manual transmission in the search, there would be an awful lot more choice!

OP
C

Calumcco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
N/A
  • Banned
they were as cr@p as they come. they used to rot like mad, they used to eat camshafts for fun and thats just what i found in the 6 months that my sister had one, about 17 or 18 years ago!

i put up a link in another thread of yours (the last new one before this one) with an Auto Mondeo, much newer, low mileage, close to you, under £1000. but again, despite people trying to advise and help, you seem hell bent on ignoring them and want to buy old wrecks. the only ones that are really worth having are the GTE models. a bog standard GL with an auto box really isnt going to achieve 'iconic' status, no matter how hard you squint!

Hi Pete. I do appreciate your advice and I do see it and take it in.

Unfortunately in Luton most of our garages/motor "dealers" if you can call them that are actually waste grounds operating out of a stinking caravan on a derelict car park site which doesn't inspire much confidence in me!!! For £845 I wouldn't hold my breath against that Mondeo having some serious issues. Maybe I am wrong but I don't feel it is right.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Back to the OPs question-yes. So long as you always pay cash/BACS on collection, Ebay is no different than buying anywhere else. If the cars not as described walk away or renegotiate. Ask plenty of questions first and if theres any vagueness in the answers move on.

as the OP has no mechanical knowledge, id be tempted NOT to go down that route. especially as the delivery driver will not be the person who you need to negotiate with, and getting refunds etc could be awkward if not paid via paypal, if thinking of the ebay dispute process.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom