Buying an SL in UK

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As far as the 500 engine was concerned the 4 valve [326 BHP ] V8 engine is regarded as slightly better breathing than the later 3 VALVE for emissions [306 BHP] V8 fitted from 1999?
Goes without saying any SL registered after the 1rst March 2001 would be liable to a much higher road tax.

That is a very good point in these modern times,, thanks for that

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Apologies, I thought as you were discussing R129's and the thread was "Buying an SL in the UK" I was on an appropriate track, obviously not :(

I guess I should be the one apologising then Dale! I'm feeling more than a little foolish, i'm used to other forums where the rules are obviously different:???:, sorry and hope I did not offend..:sad: God luck in finding your 129 series!

Last edited:
OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
I've got the car!

See a couple of pics below. Car seems in good nick, apart from windows not sealing against the rear pillar of hard top (put separate thread on this http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=64667 ). Have acouple of pics, car has 65000 miles, which jusging by the interior would seem genuine. (there is also a load of paper work to back it up). car has had both front wings repalaced a few years ago and it would seem a respray at the same time, not bad but not perfect. Can you teel from these pics if the springs need replacing? the rears seem quite low..

Attachments

• Mrerc 002.jpg
    Mrerc 002.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Mrerc 003.jpg
    Mrerc 003.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Mrerc 004.jpg
    Mrerc 004.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Mrerc 005.jpg
    Mrerc 005.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Mrerc 006.jpg
    Mrerc 006.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 155

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Nice car mate

the back end doesn't look that bad.
With the windows, you'll probably need to tune the window lifter mechanism. there are a few adjustments that can be made. they can and do settle a bit during their lives, and that changes the running angle slightly. Don't be in a rush to do it though, unless you're getting bucketfuls of water past the seals.
Just get out and tune youself into that car!

Last edited:

stickandrudder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lots
New springs all round will definately improve both the ride height and the ride quality. They're old!

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Guys,

Car also has a hard time starting when warm, often the first 3-4 second cranking won't get it going, I have turn the key back to off, let it sit for a couple of secs, then turn back and after 3-4 secs, of then with a bit of a prod ont he accelerator it gets going. I've been told this is usual for the 380s because of the mechanical fuel injection but don't believe it... is it true or does it need investigating? It always gets going eventually but it is irritating.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I can't speak for the 380

but my 500 is faultless hot or cold. Doesn't take more than half-a second.The only difference I notice is the roar when warm or hot, as the engine spools up that much more quickly. When cold, it kind of lumbers up to a 1000 rpm or so, then idles down to 750revs, when hot it just scoots straight up to 750 and waits for you to get on with it.
Maybe you need a fresh set of plugs. They could be sooting up, causing the tricky start?

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Thought a quick update may be helful, especially for anyone reading this with a view to getting a 107 SL ..

I've had the car for a week now and as expected all sorts of problems, some small, some larger have popped up:

1. Windows do not seal around the B pillar, car very noisy, hopefully just seals that need replacing..can do this myself (I believe they ar around £90 each?)
2. Warm start problems, always starts in the end but takes up to 10 secs when car is warm, could be accumulator or other issues.. (£120 for accumulator plus fitting costs)
3. Battery is too small, previous owner skimped, will need to get new one.
4. It appears battery might not be charging properly..need gargage to check on charge rate
5. Corrosion on offside jacking point -missed on original inspection, not terrible since can be patched but a pain nevertheless
6. The electric arial does not work properly, only comes up some of the way
7. Previous repaint was a little more amateur than I realised, some minor overspray on doorhadle seals and some other bits of trim shows they were masked rather than removed. Not disastrous or immediately evident but annoying all the same.
8.Slight bit of whine above 60mph from the rear diff, I understand a lot do this and its not very noticeable.
9.Prefer car with hard top on. Did not enjoy driving with hood downa s much as I thought and not worth trade off of then having to put up with noisy and shoddy convertible roof.

The good bits:

1. Drives really well, very smooth. V8 goes really well. Gearchanges very smooth.
2. Very little slop in steering, which I understand is common problem
3. Great interior, really in good shape. Carpet jsut needs a shampoo and then will be as good as new.
4. The condition of the above and the paperwork would seem to back the 6200 mile milege claim
5.Aside form the jacking point car seems very sound all round, very clean everyhwere with bone dry interior and boot.
6. All switches, vents, lights and heating work!

So all in all a few more problems than I thought but most are minor and the basics are sound. Really enjoying driving the car too!
Priorities are to get warm start sorted and noise/window seals, then car will be 90% there. Jacking point will get done over winter so i can enjoy car this summer.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
1. Windows do not seal around the B pillar, car very noisy, hopefully just seals that need replacing..can do this myself (I believe they are around £90 each?)

Glad you like the car overall.
Have you checked the alignment of the driver's door and window,as I suggested in your other post?
From your pictures,the window is not correctly aligned to its aperture and the door is not fully closed.
Unless you correct this first,your £90 may well be wasted.
Edit...the car has a steering box,as against a rack.You may just need to adjust to the characteristics of this,
rather than there being a fault.

Regards,
Nick.

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Glad you like the car overall.
Have you checked the alignment of the driver's door and window,as I suggested in your other post?
From your pictures,the window is not correctly aligned to its aperture and the door is not fully closed.
Unless you correct this first,your £90 may well be wasted.
Edit...the car has a steering box,as against a rack.You may just need to adjust to the characteristics of this,
rather than there being a fault.

Regards,
Nick.

The doors are aligned and are sitting straight, I took it to Steve Redgrave and he seems to think its the seals... so I'm bowing to superior knowledge. Plus I tried it with the soft top and it sealed ok so it would seem to be the seals..
The steerring was one of the good points of the car, I was not complaining about that!
Thanks though

Last edited:
OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Chaps,

Am now considering selling the car... I've decided the colour is not for me, when I first saw it i liked it and thought that it suited the car's era but now I just don't like it! I have explored options but it would seem that a colour change, done properly would be a ridiculous thing to do on this car as costing £10 -12K for a proper bare metal, engine out respray to a different colour. I would not want to skimp and bodge it and even if it was cheaper (5-6K) it still makes no sense. So either I keep it or sell and wait for the same car to pop up in a different colour. It is a real shame because it is exactly the car i wanted in terms of years/spec/engine and the car is a good one, 62K of documented miles with an almost perfect interior. Not sure what to do now.

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Update

As some of you will have seen I have found a fair bit of rust in wheelarches on all 4 corners and more..

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=69278

I had a bit of tough time finding a workshop that I was confident in but finally after a visit to John Haynes I feel the car is in really good hands. They had the car on the hoist, we looked at it together and they answered all my questions.. previous bodyshops I spoke to just did not seem to know their way around the cars as well.

Depending on the cost of this remedial work I am planning on getting them to do a bare metal respray as well ..and since i'm not a huge fan of the colour I am thinking of changing .. the engine bay won't be done but i think i can live with that. All this work is not really a cost effective proposition but I know the car now and I'm committed to the rust repairs anyhow.

What colour do you guys recommend? is there somewhere where there are pics of all 107's of different colours? if you've seen any cars you like please post pics here...I don't like Golds, silvers, cream (pics of my car on an earlier page of this thread..), .. I do like black, darker blues..not flat red or metallic burgundy.. but any suggestions welcome..:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The interior does lend itself to a red, or blue and dark brown looks good on them

stickandrudder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lots
Why don't you just sell it and buy one in the colour you like.
Even if the one that's the right colour has issues which need to be addressed, it's not likely to cost as much as a bare metal repaint.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
Jackpe--having followed all the thread may I congatulate you on the purchase and welcome you to the begginers world of w107 ownership--most of the listed problems are normal and all can be fixed --this is now an ongoing project !(some quite cheaply new bosch elec ariel £40) door seals are dear --source them from Germany -the rust and bodywork treat as priority and do it well ---when all is done then use 2/3 tins of waxoyl to prevent more. Colour?--stick with original and it will grow on you as an ongoing project and investment-it will also gain in value--expect to spend about another 2k yet but it will still be worth any money spent on it.
Good luck---Teddy

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom