Buying Car In Republic of Ireland.....

James-SL

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 350
Hi guys,

I am about to go to Dublin to purchase a late 90's Merc (will post pics and details once collected), however, I have some questions relating to my overseas purchase:-

1). What is the Irish equivalent of HPI (or is HPI effective in Ireland), as want to check for outstanding finance etc?

2). What is the situation regarding driving the car without an Irish MOT (I'll be driving the vehicle straight to ferry and will MOT asap as soon as back in England)?

3). What is the situation regarding driving the car without Irish Tax (again will be taken straight to ferry terminal and back to England)?

Many thanks for your help,
James

Tommee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220
Hi James,

I'll hazard a reply,

1) motorcheck.ie can carry out a full search for you including any outstanding finance ( HPI). Unfortunately it costs c. €.35 ( £30 Stg.) for a full report and I don't believe they'll check for finance only at a lower cost.

2 &3) It's a motoring offence in Ireland to drive a car without a current MOT ( called NCT) and motor tax. However, I suspect you'd be very unlucky to be stopped by the Police and if you were once you explained you were exporting the car imminently ( and could evidence your departure by ferry ), they would be unlikely to take much of an interest in you. No guarantees, mind- there may be one out there!!!

Best of luck,

Tom.

jonthetourist

Reaction score
Website
www.cypruspropertyvillas.com
Your Mercedes
1991 SL300-24
Hi James

Do you have the import pack from DVLA? I am in a similar position.

You are covered in the UK if you can evidence a pre-booked MOT appointment. Technically, that won't cover Ireland, but it shows willing if you get stopped.

Did you know it's £40 to Dublin from any rail station in the UK?

Cheers

Jon

Rockall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many
James

I agree with Tommee's point. If you are buying the car in Dublin and heading for the ferry - there will not be an issue - the Gardai in Ireland are not as dogmatic - once you have proof that you are booked on the ferry and that your insurance covers you, all will be ok.

Regards

Bill

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
finance

would have thought a log book loan would be more likely than traditional finance on that age of car dont know how thats registered though

what about tax for the car at this end once off the ferry as no uk MOT

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Whether driving in RoI or the UK make sure the car is insured...there are no exceptions to this in either country.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom