Buying My First Merc.....Help please

malty123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi sport 2011
I'm just aboiut to buy a 320 sl 1996 p reg with 85000 on the clock FSH
it's silver with black leather and all round nice condition.

its got a problem with roll bar warning light being on....I've got a bit of info from the tech pages to try and fix this, but i guess worst case will be about a £1000 to put it right...

Baring this in mind, what sort of cash should i be parting with for a vehicle like this from a private sale?

What other things should i look for before i part with my hard earned?

thanks in advance

Paul

OP
M

malty123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi sport 2011
Also this will be a second car so can anyone reccomend a insurance company that will do a limited mileage policy at a lower cost?

thanks again

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I will see what else i have on this

merc7

Reaction score
Also this will be a second car so can anyone reccomend a insurance company that will do a limited mileage policy at a lower cost?

thanks again
Hi Paul i am on my preliminary stages to acquire sl too, always wanted one ,i think iam leaning to wards the 500 sl (R129),i had a conversation with one owner similar position(second car to him) he said paying £400 for insurance,however i have seen someone on piston heads saying it is costing him £132 for 5k miles/year.I have seen a mentioned in this forum of insurance companies will insure you for the same policy since you car only drive one car a time,good luck and keep us posted;)

OP
M

malty123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi sport 2011
Hi Paul i am on my preliminary stages to acquire sl too, always wanted one ,i think iam leaning to wards the 500 sl (R129),i had a conversation with one owner similar position(second car to him) he said paying £400 for insurance,however i have seen someone on piston heads saying it is costing him £132 for 5k miles/year.I have seen a mentioned in this forum of insurance companies will insure you for the same policy since you car only drive one car a time,good luck and keep us posted;)

I too saw an advert on e-bay with someone claiming to insure their 300sl for sub £200 on a limited milage policy...

I'll keep looking and post accordingly

wakefield

Reaction score

thanks again

Hi

I found Adrian Flux to be very good when insuring my wife's Jaguar XJ40 on a limited mileage policy. They were around half the price of the other quotes I received and you could choose from various mileage limits to suit.

It might also be worth looking at companies who offer multi-car policies, such as Admiral, as again I have found this to be a cost-effective method in circumstances such as yours.

Good luck.

OP
M

malty123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi sport 2011
OK, thanks for the advice, I got my insurance from Adrian Flux, £280 fully comp, with uk and european breakdown insurance included...bargain...

truthfindergeneral

Reaction score
'Adrian Flux '
They used to advertise heavily in various Land Rover magazines as being the best people to insure your 4X4 with. So I gave them a call. Wanted to load premium if there was to be any off road use !!!

OP
M

malty123

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi sport 2011
wont be offroading in my SL:D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom