Buying oil in 20 ltr bulk

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
When we were racing oil was changed every event.

Oh yea, I believe racers do it more frequently.. The general consensus anywhere I go is 3 days. What kind of endurance was that racing. How many minutes / hours of thrashing the engine would that be?

I imagine on a track day I would probably 4 or so stints at about 30 odd minutes each.

I run Elf 9 sport and change it after 3 track days

<snip/>

115k miles total, 20+ track days in the last 18 months and 20k miles in that time, not my daily

Hi Ian,

That's cool.. I will look into that Elf. If it works for you, it should work for me :D Will you continue with that once you have stepped up the mods?

Oil is one of those areas where obviously you don't want to skimp. And given I know nothing about it.. would have a tendency to go for the well known brands that are somewhat expensive. But at the same time, I am aware that marketing is an influencer for lay men like me..

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I'm not sure... there is marketing and creating a strong brand. And then edging up the price.

I really don't know.. I guess I would follow the lead of other veterans like Ian etc. The funny thing is when you go around the enthusiast forums you see guys putting all sorts of stuff in and happy with it.

I just know I won't be tempted to buy in bulk from Alibaba to save :D:D

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup
Oh yea, I believe racers do it more frequently.. The general consensus anywhere I go is 3 days. What kind of endurance was that racing. How many minutes / hours of thrashing the engine would that be?

I imagine on a track day I would probably 4 or so stints at about 30 odd minutes each.

Hi Ian,

That's cool.. I will look into that Elf. If it works for you, it should work for me :D Will you continue with that once you have stepped up the mods?

Oil is one of those areas where obviously you don't want to skimp. And given I know nothing about it.. would have a tendency to go for the well known brands that are somewhat expensive. But at the same time, I am aware that marketing is an influencer for lay men like me..

I have used Elf 10w/40 fully synthetic from day one as it's the best value for the money, i get it for a great price from my parts supplier (gives me great discount)
My car had a full service history so i presume its had Elf from day one.

Engine is back together now fully forged :)

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would say i do 5 or 6 20+ minute stints minimum depending on the circuit and it would be full on rev limiter job :D

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have used Elf 10w/40 fully synthetic from day one as it's the best value for the money, i get it for a great price from my parts supplier (gives me great discount)
My car had a full service history so i presume its had Elf from day one.

Engine is back together now fully forged :)

I was wondering about 10w-40 as it's better for track. But I thought if it does see a bit of road use from time to time it might not be best.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think I am happy with the £3.50/4.00 per litre price point. Beats what I paid for the SL and E last time around. I think I paid Halfords/Euro about 80 odd quid.. thankfully it looks like those days are behind me :)

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was wondering about 10w-40 as it's better for track. But I thought if it does see a bit of road use from time to time it might not be best.

It will be fine for road driving, i drive to track days all the time, whether it is Castle Combe or Nurburgring

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Hi Ian,

Mini 7 races were around 20 minutes, 2 or 3 races per meet plus 2 practice sessions of 30 minutes.

Clubman GT was 2 hours non stop plus 2 hours practice with oil changed between practice and race. Final race of the series was 6 hours.

Toyota Starlet rally car (Group A) was between 5 and 10 special stages per event with each being 10 to 20 minutes in length. Internationals were 3 days with oil changed end of each day.

Daihatsu Charade Gtti rally car (Group N) as per Starlet.

For international events we had 2 'chase cars' that also had oil changes before the event but not during. The guy I worked for once said to me (as we'd driven two sides of a triangle to meet him at the end of a special stage having dropped him at the start) that the only difference between him and us was he had to wear a helmet and full harness.... We drove those chase cars hard! If you aren't familiar with why we used them their job was to carry tools, petrol and spare tyres in case the rally car needed them either before or after a special stage. We weren't official team members and couldn't touch the rally car but could make tools and spares available and go places the full service crew couldn't....

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mini 7 races were around 20 minutes, 2 or 3 races per meet plus 2 practice sessions of 30 minutes.

Clubman GT was 2 hours non stop plus 2 hours practice with oil changed between practice and race. Final race of the series was 6 hours.

Toyota Starlet rally car (Group A) was between 5 and 10 special stages per event with each being 10 to 20 minutes in length. Internationals were 3 days with oil changed end of each day.

Daihatsu Charade Gtti rally car (Group N) as per Starlet.

For international events we had 2 'chase cars' that also had oil changes before the event but not during. The guy I worked for once said to me (as we'd driven two sides of a triangle to meet him at the end of a special stage having dropped him at the start) that the only difference between him and us was he had to wear a helmet and full harness.... We drove those chase cars hard! If you aren't familiar with why we used them their job was to carry tools, petrol and spare tyres in case the rally car needed them either before or after a special stage. We weren't official team members and couldn't touch the rally car but could make tools and spares available and go places the full service crew couldn't....

Sounds like a few interesting stories could be told about those times! :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like a few interesting stories could be told about those times! :)
Good memories. ****** hard work at the time and on occasion 24 hour stints with no sleep (this was before rallying got soft and drivers became scared of the dark).
Changing hot gearboxes at 2am in the rain whilst having mud drip down on me is something I'll never forget.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We won't be racing :rolleyes:, it's track days no racing is allowed, no out braking or overtaking in corners :(

But it is great fun, i won't do sessioned track days, just open pit lane ones, so i can go out and come back in when i please.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
I used to use 15W50 Mobil 1 Motorsport in the S14 and it never saw a track .

Might use 5W40 229.5 or Racing Ester as I think a 30 grade is out of the question .

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hmm.. I shall see. It's rather expensive. Now don't get me wrong.. i'm all for not skimping. I would rather get cheaper oil and change far more frequently, say after every 3rd outing or something.

Yeap, epic. That's where i'll likely order from. Is that where you built your pipeline to? :D
I supply them with what I don’t use :rolleyes: :D

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
@Conor Quick update

Fitted the engine, ran it up and oil started leaking from the hole in the bell housing, had to pull the engine out again, to find the new rear crank seal was leaking, replaced it with one i bought 2 years ago for my other Megane, all back in and running sweet :D

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
@Conor Quick update

Fitted the engine, ran it up and oil started leaking from the hole in the bell housing, had to pull the engine out again, to find the new rear crank seal was leaking, replaced it with one i bought 2 years ago for my other Megane, all back in and running sweet :D

Nice one.. next stop will be the tuners? :D

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
We won't be racing :rolleyes:, it's track days no racing is allowed, no out braking or overtaking in corners :(

But it is great fun, i won't do sessioned track days, just open pit lane ones, so i can go out and come back in when i please.

I used to race for many years, but basically retired in 2002 when I came to the UK.
Brought the race car with me (heaven know why) but I did a track day at Snetterton in 2003......I was brought in twice and told, 'this is not racing, continue and you go home' :rolleyes:
It was very hard to just drive around a track for me after all the years of racing. I did a further 3 track days and wasn't sent home :D Must have mellowed in my old age :oops:

Top Bottom