Buying second hand 220 CDI AG

VizWizBen

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Presently Porsche Boxster S, Honda Civic derv.
Hi all,

After moving from Porsche ownership to (hopefully) MB ownership this site certainly makes refreshing reading!

Due to "little people" requirements I am looking to start a long term foray into MB and hope I may get a good steer to buy right, not twice. Budget is £7k due to house deposit requirements.

I've looked at a number, driven one (2003 with 70k) and was hugely impressed and certainly knocks the competition into a tin hat. But I am looking to buy a 2002 C220 CDI AG, mileage is 77k. Presently up for £6700 which seems more than fair. Standard AG spec which seems very nice.

Are there any areas that I should be looking closely at?

Obvious ones -

FSH - Seller says was last serviced when "the car service indicator said to do it" in Feb 09. Not sure if that was an A or B though. Are there any pitfalls here? New tyres, new front coil springs (should this ring alarm bells?).

Condition - seems good. Apparently a tiny spot of rust above wheel arches that has not deteriorated. Slightly concerning, but having read through your forum, do I have any way of sorting? Any tips on the best areas to check?

General buying tips - I would not wish to short change a good owner out of a good car but what would define the "good car"? Any expensive issues that I can recognise when buying?

Your assistace would be most appreciated.

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
£6700 is about right for a private sale provided it is in good condition with full service history.

Two sites worth mentioning to get an idea of what you should be paying are:
(just pump the model etc in and it will give you an idea of prices etc).
www.wisebuyers.co.uk

www.parkers.co.uk

They C220 CDI's are good car's ;)

The main issue you need to watch out for is the dreaded tin rot! Even if you cannot see the rust look for signs of the paint 'bubbling'. Check the bottom of all 4 doors (inside and out) the rear arch's and the front wings (especially where they meet the bumper). I would also check the boot for any sign's - they don't seem to be as common on the 'C' but still worth checking out for!

I am sure there was a few threads a couple of weeks ago where somebody was asking for advice on buying a W203 C class. The 'search' may pull a bit more info up for you! ;)

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
£6700 is about right for a private sale provided it is in good condition with full service history.

Two sites worth mentioning to get an idea of what you should be paying are:
(just pump the model etc in and it will give you an idea of prices etc).
www.wisebuyers.co.uk

www.parkers.co.uk

They C220 CDI's are good car's ;)

The main issue you need to watch out for is the dreaded tin rot! Even if you cannot see the rust look for signs of the paint 'bubbling'. Check the bottom of all 4 doors (inside and out) the rear arch's and the front wings (especially where they meet the bumper). I would also check the boot for any sign's - they don't seem to be as common on the 'C' but still worth checking out for!

I am sure there was a few threads a couple of weeks ago where somebody was asking for advice on buying a W203 C class. The 'search' may pull a bit more info up for you! ;)

any car after 2004 should be galvanized against rust, but it still pays to check

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
any car after 2004 should be galvanized against rust, but it still pays to check

I believe it was sometime mid 2003 that galvanising started, so an 04 should at least be galvanised, however that means nothing, there was a 2005 car on here with rust the other week.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Firstly, keep the Boxster and get rid of the Civic!! (says he who has a 968 and a C270 estate!)
Secondly, I'd be a bit dubious about the C220 power - my 270 has about 175BHP yet still gives 40+ MPG, I'd be worried that the 220 would be a bit "slow". I paid £6k for my 2001 C270 estate with 67K, one owner and full MBSH.
Thirdly, I thought about AG trim but decided there were too many electrical toys to go wrong and cost money - ours is Elegance trim and has enough toys!
Check the front suspension for knocking noises - W203's are well known for front suspension bush failure, not a big problem but costs £2-500 to correct.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom