Buying used merc 300 CE

dannyboy489

Reaction score
Hi all.
New to the forum as I'm looking for advice on the above.

A guy I know is selling a 1991 Mercedes 300 CE and I'm interested in it.
It has full s/h tho not dealer, tons of receipts, papers etc, done 120k miles and for an 18 yr old car appears in good condition but by no means excellent.

What I need to know is are there any major problems that are common/should have already occurred and if the car is as it appears what I can expect be paying for it.

Loking forward to hearing your views.

Many thanks.

Danny

type49

Reaction score
This is a single cam 6cyl engine & should be "almost" silent & very smooth. Reliable, strong engine that WILL have a leak from the very front OS headgasket area. If it's a small leak, it will be from the front cover - live with it. (Strip & repair - it will just leak again in a few months). If the whole NS engine is soaked, it will be headgasket. Waterpumps can go & a bit timely/pain to replace. Gearbox will be a 4 speed & should be OK. May be a "bit" jerky 1st to 2nd but anything more than that indicates a problem. Coupes will probably have a slight wind noise at motorway speeds from pillarless window areas, just check it's not too bad. Check seatbelt extenders work. Check front seat backrests are locked in position with engine running & doors closed (put the windows down to test). Check they release with doors open & engine off. Check central locking. Im presumming you wont be able to look underneath. Suspension rubbers are generally very good (much better than newer models). Drive over sleeping policemen if poss, front end knocking will probably be antirollbar bushes - about £25 & DIY to fit. Any noises from the rear will be more involved & more money. Let us now if you buy it +++ piccies:cool:

OP
D

dannyboy489

Reaction score
Wow! That is comprehensive - and quick too. Cheers.

I'm off to look at it right now, will get back later.

Anyone else have something to offer?

simon_wall69

Reaction score
As above also check the heater works hot and cold, common problem can be duo-valve; expect some play in the steering - they all have some; then, just all your normal checks of fluids, etc,.

Prices are very much dependant on condition and can vary from £500 to £5,000.

OP
D

dannyboy489

Reaction score
Finally managed to get a test drive last week - **** ME!

That is a very powerful car. Bodywork needs attention - rear arches started to rust, paint chips, both corners on rear bumper been creased at some point. Interior certainly looks it's age too. For an 18 Y/O car it's not in bad nick really but for a future classic mercedes it's a bit tired. Couple of electrical niggles - drivers seatbelt extender not working, passenger window sometimes needs dropping and re seating to close in channel.

BUT

It drives virtually silent until you hit the kickdown then it absolutely flies!

I know it's very vague but does anyone out there have an idea of price without seeing the car? Difficult I know but an ish would be useful.

Cheers

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I would make £1000 a marker for an MOT'd but tired 300ce, you wont go far wrong at that price

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
If it flies then I'd expect it's a 300-24 not a 300. Worth checking. The 300 has a narrow black cam cover with visible HT leads and the 300-24 has a wide cam cover and the HT leads are hidden

If the interior is tired I'd walk away - you can never get an interior looking fresh again and the interior condition a very good guide to the treatment the car has received in the past

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
If it flies then I'd expect it's a 300-24 not a 300. Worth checking. The 300 has a narrow black cam cover with visible HT leads and the 300-24 has a wide cam cover and the HT leads are hidden

If the interior is tired I'd walk away - you can never get an interior looking fresh again and the interior condition a very good guide to the treatment the car has received in the past

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Autocar road test of the 300 coupe in 1987 did achieve a true 0-60 time of 7.5 secs.

Top Bottom