C Class 220 CDi Tiptronic

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
C Class Gearchanges

C starts off in 2nd gear across the range.

Next time you are driving count the changes.

Interesting topic! My last car, W203 C200 Komp, definitely started in second when in C Mode. However, my current car, W204 C220 CDi definitely starts in first in the same mode. However, it changes up earlier and is more reluctant to down-change. Guess with my type of driving, there are too many variables to check if there is any effect on MPG.

It seems to me that it depends on the model and might even depend on the software version!

Ernie

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Too many subjects that get confused between 203's & 204's .... ernieh ....... you are quite correct .............. I noticed the down change in S, means you can "coast" more freely ........... I'm gonna have a few days, just in "S", and see what happens to the consumption ..............

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Too many subjects that get confused between 203's & 204's ....

It's obviously entirelu feasible that MB have changed the programming in the same box between W203 and 204, but then why would the W204 handbook which I quoted note that a characteristic of S mode is that the car starts in 1st gear?

Maybe that's referring to the 7 speed box??

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Saying it's starts in 1st gear, in S mode ............. is not saying it's starts in 2nd gear, in C mode.

I've not had a 7 speed, so would'nt want to comment, as I don't have 1st hand knowledge.

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
My handbook recommends switching only when stationary, but only because switching on the move could " alarm the driver due to the different characteristics" Yeah right. But no dire warnings about damaging the tranny, or invalidating the warranty. And there are plenty of those warnings elsewhere! I switch whenever I feel like it.

The 7 speed def. starts in 2nd gear in the C program, unless I floor it, in which case it defaults to 1st.

Don't know which mode is more economical. Mine's a thirsty little beasty all the time.

Cheers

Keith

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Saying it's starts in 1st gear, in S mode ............. is not saying it's starts in 2nd gear, in C mode.

Sure, but it's a bit of a pointless comment if C doesn't start in 2nd.

The ability to start in a higher gear is pretty important on an auto for use in slippery conditions. I can't say MB haven't removed that capability on W204 but it would be extremely odd if they did.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
W204 Autos

Sure, but it's a bit of a pointless comment if C doesn't start in 2nd.

The ability to start in a higher gear is pretty important on an auto for use in slippery conditions. I can't say MB haven't removed that capability on W204 but it would be extremely odd if they did.

I don't have the W203 handbook in front of me now, but I'm fairly certain that it makes reference to the 2nd gear start when in C Mode. However, the W204 CDi Handbook makes no mention of a 2nd gear start, but states:

Comfort, C Mode, is characterised by the following:

1. An increase in traction. This improves the driving stability of the vehicle on slippery surfaces, for example.

2. The automatic transmission shifting up sooner. The vehicle is driven at lower engine speeds (presumably for a given roadspeed) and the wheels are less likely to spin.

I wonder if, instead of allowing the 204 to start in second, they have reduced the sensitivity of the throttle take-up, giving a more gentle start in C than in S?

Incidentally, there is also advice to 'only press the program selector button when the selector lever is in position P, N or D.' Presumably this means that it is OK to change the setting on the move.

One further comment that I gleaned from reading the handbook, is that you can 'force' an upchange using the Tiptronic. This actually works quite well and means that the driver can use the engine torque rather than revs, hopefully saving fuel. Having said that, I don't know if I would be bothered.....why have a dog and bark yourself?

Sorry for the length of the post, but it is amazing what you find when you read the handbook!

Ernie

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Once again, your quite correct ernie .......... You have a "window" of opportunity to up/down shift, with the tiptronic ........ I wish it was full double clutch, that would make it perfect .............I flick between S and C on the move, as The manual states you can, as you've typed ........... and the dealer did it on the demo !

As for needing 2nd gear start ........ who the heck needs that I don't know ............ Cant they drive or something ????

Did 320 miles today in S .......and got 45.6MPG ........ well happy .....and she's a livly old beast in S all the time !

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom