C Class engine failure help please

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
I would of thought the CEO , would of done something rather than just passing it back. !!.
Good luck don’t give up, there’s nothing more you could have done.

OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
Latest update for you all, in one last attempt to get some common sense into the situation I made a without prejudice offer to the dealer in order to try and get it resolved in a satisfactory way for all sides. They asked that I put this in writing same day which I did within 30 minutes of the telephone call. I then made a visit to the dealer the following day and had to return the loan vehicle which left me without a car I asked the manager that I written the email to if he had put the offer to his general manager to be told that he had been to busy and hoped to have an answer later that day which was last Thursday. He then added if I waited 30 mins or hour he might find a driver to give me a lift to a bus stop or train station. Guess what I walked out in disgust telling him that if the answer was no then legal proceedings will go ahead and to put my vehicle on the road outside his dealership and then in turn I will put a banner in it saying beware engine blown 56,000 miles. As you know it is now Monday the following week and still no response it is a total disgrace and this Mercedes dealer should be ashamed of the selfs and there actions

Reactions: DSK

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Latest update for you all, in one last attempt to get some common sense into the situation I made a without prejudice offer to the dealer in order to try and get it resolved in a satisfactory way for all sides. They asked that I put this in writing same day which I did within 30 minutes of the telephone call. I then made a visit to the dealer the following day and had to return the loan vehicle which left me without a car I asked the manager that I written the email to if he had put the offer to his general manager to be told that he had been to busy and hoped to have an answer later that day which was last Thursday. He then added if I waited 30 mins or hour he might find a driver to give me a lift to a bus stop or train station. Guess what I walked out in disgust telling him that if the answer was no then legal proceedings will go ahead and to put my vehicle on the road outside his dealership and then in turn I will put a banner in it saying beware engine blown 56,000 miles. As you know it is now Monday the following week and still no response it is a total disgrace and this Mercedes dealer should be ashamed of the selfs and there actions
I really feel for you hope you get it sorted ASAP.

MartyR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 ML 270, 2007 Clio 197
This is appalling, seems to me there is little recourse here. Yet again companies putting profit before customers. Have you tried reaching out to MB Germany? Maybe they can help?

ledonster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d AMG line 2016 2.1d
Oh I so feel for you. I had the same thing happen to me with a seat Leon and a con rod that went through the block shortly after a service from the main dealers. They offered a contribution from head office towards new engine, dual mass flywheel and clutch. I vowed to fight them but they removed the courtesy car just before Christmas and wouldn't budge despite my threat of getting an independent go establish what happened. They insisted on doing it themselves at my cost (17hrs of labour) so in the end, I had to stump up the £3.5k. I think they paid around £3k. Had a similar issue with my next car, a Passat 1.6d when the egr valve went before having the 'fix' done. That little adventure cost me £400 to sort out by an independent but I never had the 'fix' done. Now drive a 220d and hope I never have this kind of problem. Reading your story brought it all back. I wish you all the best.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

I make the assumption any action would be under the Consumer Rights Act against the supplying dealer theoretically you have up to six years after purchase to pursue them, dealers usually claim their liability ends with the warranty.

I would suggest you stick at 80% and to have your previous payments credited to reduce your exposure to settle now.

Publicity or in your case bad publicity for the dealer will be helpful.

If you have legal expenses Insurance on any of your Insurance policies then I suggest you explore that avenue first if you can't agree but they can be a little timid.

This will of course take some considerable time and inconvenience to you so don't go at it with anger driving your decisions.

MB bat away court actions on a daily basis and have a department that spends its time doing just that.

They are though arrogant and predictable.

If your still keen to carry on then;

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/court-fees

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Go for it - good luck I don’t think you’ll need it!

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
How are thing progressing?

OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
The saga continues ! Thought you all might like to know how things progressed after consulting a solicitor and motor engineer I came to the conclusion that there was a possibility I could lose a case against the dealership and end up paying a percentage of costs to them and still be no further forward. All of this time I was still without a vehicle and I was in email contact now with the general manager of the dealership and I decided to ask him for a meeting so I could have one last effort in trying to obtain a satisfactory deal for everyone.

This meeting took place in the first week of December and he said because of my attitude and the way I conducted myself he reduced the bill to myself to a total of £4,000 with Mercedes making up the rest this came about because he would have to had to appoint solicitors to defend any claim made against them, I considered this for a couple of days and made up my mind to accept as I really wanted to get on with my life and needed an end to this whole thing, upon accepting this I was put back into a courtesy car.

Christmas came and past together with new year and then the whole of Janaury with no contact from them at all, in early February I made a call to them to be told should be done soon ! On the 7th of February the call comes in the vehicle is ready extensive road tests taken place all is good I had informed them the MOT runs out at the end of January in prior emails and phone calls and enquirer as to if it had past to be told by the service manager I was dealing with and had told oh didn't know it needed it!

Later that afternoon was told passed all good and I arranged to pick car up the next day which I did and duly paid my side of the bill whic was on Saturday the 8th of February.

All seemed OK got home parked up no problem, early eve went out in the vehicle to pick up my takeaway and guess what vehicle goes into limp mode ! Get home and left it until next day when I again got in the vehicle and it was out of limp mode so went into Cambridge to do some shopping on the way in went into limp mode again after parking up and getting back into vehicle came out of limp mode on the way home goes back into limp mode and engine warning light comes on !

On Monday the 10th February 8.00 am I phone service manager who can't believe it and tells me to ring the RAC service provided because the car is serviced there. I duly do this and tell them that I have to leave home by 1.00pm as I work part time. I get a call in the end for the mechanic coming out at around midday to say he is just over an hour away which is no good to me so yet again taxis to and from work. He promises I will be first call on Tuesday.

Tuesday they turn out at around 10.30 and the mechanic a very nice man plugs it in and finds list of new faults and looking under the bonnet which doesn't fit properly something I should have noticed when I picked it up but didn't take enough notice as I just wanted to get out of there at the time he was appalled at the state of the engine bay I took pictures of everyone from no lead on a glow plug to the air filter box hanging off to various other parts to show this. I also pointed out to him the steering wheel was now not straight and the Hester motor now made a noise which it didn't before.

He then arranged recovery to the dealership and got me a hire vehicle which because I had to go to work again at 1.00pm wouldn't get until the following day messing taxis again. I spoke to the mechanic after the vehicle had got back to the dealership and like me couldn't believe the arrogance of the service manager. I have to say the general manager is not like this at all in any way.

Friday the 14th I get a call vehicle is all ready and can be picked up I arranged to go over at around 3.00 pm and service manger wanted to go out with me for a small test drive to make sure all was ok, he was sure it was as he had personally tested it for last two days. We went out did maybe a mile or so all seemed fine and I left dealer around 4.00 ish as I was going out for dinner in the evening and live some 20 odd miles away from the dealer.

I get onto the A14 which is about 2-3 miles from dealer put my foot down to accelerate and yes you guessed it the car goes into limp mode ! I am have to go to the next junction which is only 6-7 miles from my home to turn around and the engine light comes back on. I get back to the dealer around 4.45-5.00 pm and they just can't understand it or what has happened.

They eventually put me into another courtesy car and he says I suspect the next phone call you get will be from general manager and I end up leaving there again pat about 5.30 which by this time I am so fed up with it it ruined my evening and I didn't go out as this has just driven me nuts.

So as I write this on Saturday evening of the 22nd of February I am sure you have all guessed by now no phone call, no information or any form of contact from them since I left the dealer on Friday the 14th but should I really expect anything more or better by now !

Will update when I know more from a very frustrated Mercedes owner who hasnt had his vehicle on the road since September. In the two years at the end of march I have owned it has spent over 25% of its time in Merecedes Cambridge.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
A sorry tale of bungling incompetence.

When the car last spit its dummy out did they tell you why ?

OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
Not really said it was to do with cap on glow plug coming off, it was also pointed out that there was oil around a pipe but they said it was from when it was refitted. To be honest I have told them on many occasions that this is a rogue vehicle and that I will never have any confidence in it at all, remember this is not a brand new engine that have put in it but a reconditioned one total bill cost of just under £12,000. I personally don't think the vehicle will ever be right if you had seen the state of how they refitted the bonnet you would all be appalled it didn't even close with out slamming it so hard I am surprised it didn't dent it looked like a five year old had done it. I am a total loss now and to be honest don't really won't the car back at all.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It might be time to look at involving the ombudsman or one of the consumer action TV programmes like Watchdog.

OP
T

Tony carr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 2015 c200d
What I find totally unbelievable is that if I was that service manager I would have been on the phone every day to the customer since the 14th of February and been licking his you know where beyond belief to keep him updated and to try and make some effort to placate him. Arrogance is something that Mercedes seemed to pray on in so many areas, this comes right from Mercedes uk down to the dealer the whole thing is a front quality product and service my .... you take a car to a main dealer because it should be the best place for service and standards required to look after your car and with the costs of labour charges per hour being that of solicitors and accountants I don't expect to be treated like some poor homeless person on the streets

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
When you are dealing with any main dealer what you have to remember is that their first (and probably only) interest is to make as much profit out of you as possible in the short term. A satisfied customer for them is one who pays the maximum without quibble and leaves quickly regardless of the service.
Find a good independent who gets satisfaction from doing the job well and helping people keep on the road at a reasonable price. Not easy but at this stage I'd be asking someone on the forum to recommend some independent near you to put an end to this disgusting saga of dishonesty, discourtesy and plain rip-off.
Hope it works out well, good luck.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When you are dealing with any main dealer what you have to remember is that their first (and probably only) interest is to make as much profit out of you as possible in the short term. A satisfied customer for them is one who pays the maximum without quibble and leaves quickly regardless of the service.
Find a good independent who gets satisfaction from doing the job well and helping people keep on the road at a reasonable price. Not easy but at this stage I'd be asking someone on the forum to recommend some independent near you to put an end to this disgusting saga of dishonesty, discourtesy and plain rip-off.
Hope it works out well, good luck.
The only problem there is he'll need to pay again when given what they've charged already and the shocking service is not reasonable.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom