C Class Estate 2004 200 Kompressor

Kowalski

Reaction score
I am considering getting a 2004 C class estate for my wife as a family car. We have a baby on the way. I want something safe and big enough but not overly large such as the E class wagon. I have had an R129 and currently have a W124 E220 coupe but have never gone beyond mid 90's Mercedes and a little reticent. Any thoughts on the C class or the best family Mercedes? I don't want to spend more than £5,000 if possible.

Any thoughts on the C class estate in snow? My W124 is practically undrivable in snow and wouldn't want the same problem with the C class.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Get winter tyres and the C is perfectly drivable in snow.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
C class in snow on ordinary tyres - forget it. C Class estate on snow with winter tyres - no problem. Winter before last I had a 2001 S203 C270 on virtually brand new 16" Falken FK452's and had all kinds of problems trying to move on our unswept cul-de-sac with compacted snow. Last winter I bought new rims with Dunlop sonw tyres and had absolutely no problem even with the ESP switched off.

Look back to the original road tests of the W203, the engine of choice is the C270CDI, plenty of grunt when you need it but also 45mpg. Personal choice - Elegance not Avantgard - enough toys without too many electric things to go wrong and cost money. Get leather if you can - we had cloth but have leather in the replacement S204 and it's better. Also if snow is a problem in your area go for standard brakes so you can fit 16" winter wheels and tyres rather than having to fit 17's required by sport pack (and I think AG) brake calipers. 17's might be OK in summer (never drove a 203 on 17's so can't comment) but 16's for winter will be better. Also watch out for staggered wheels - I've seen 203 rims where fronts were 7J but rears were 8J so required 225's rather than 205's - OK for summer but not so good for winter.

My wife loved the S203 and now loves the S204, but took one look at the E estate and said "too big".

If it's a 203 you're thinking of, try for something built post 1st quarter 2003 to get galvanised, even better post 1st quarter 2004 to get nano paint as well, plus check rust around wheel arches and along door bottoms, maintenance history - and if you try the C270 check the kickdown works and engine revs above 3k (if not, new MAF required) and that engine temp gets to about 80C quickly (if not, new thermostat required). Also listen for clunks from front suspension - bushes and rose joints. None of these are that expensive, you just need to be aware (says he who had all of the above!~).

OP
K

Kowalski

Reaction score
C class

Thank you so much for your advice. That is what you call having 'the knowledge'. I'll bear all of this in mind and look forward to hunting out the ideal car. :)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom