C Class-Lumber?

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
Do any of the C Class have lumber adjustment on the drivers seat???
Im looking at around 02-04.

I drove a 2005 C200k today and was very impressed with its ride quality and performance, whilst the seat was very comfortable it needed lumber control as my lower back was unsupported and needs to be these days.

Also what is the difference between Elegance and Avantgarde as i cant tell.

TIA

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the 203 did have an option for multi contour seats

OP
D

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
Sorry, what do you mean by the 203?
Im completly new to MB:Oops:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry, what do you mean by the 203?
Im completly new to MB:Oops:

Thats OK the C class for that year was the 203

The muli contour seat does enable you to alter the curve of the back rest

OP
D

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
But the one today did not have lumber adjustment:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But the one today did not have lumber adjustment:confused:

This was an extra,,and the same on every model MB.

It can be quite hard finding out what car has what, feeding the full 17 figure into here will give you the complete list of the extras on that car

http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

Buying a 203 or C class try and get one built after 04-03 thaty is the build date and not the registration date.

The above link will give you that info

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Do any of the C Class have lumber adjustment on the drivers seat???
Im looking at around 02-04.

I drove a 2005 C200k today and was very impressed with its ride quality and performance, whilst the seat was very comfortable it needed lumber control as my lower back was unsupported and needs to be these days.

Also what is the difference between Elegance and Avantgarde as i cant tell.

TIA

The E class has adjustable lumbar support. Don't know if the old model C class did (the 203). The multi contour seat is a rarely chosen option so you will find it hard to find one. I had a C class in 2002 and now have the E class. If you have a bad back I would seriously suggest you try the E class. Much more comfortable IMO. Much.

BTW Elegance offers a much better ride on Britain's badly maintained roads while Avantgarde offers a harder, firmer ride. The standard size wheels offer a better ride than the larger wheels which some choose to fit.

Last edited:

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I use a folded up towel in mine. Without fail colleagues I travel with say "I thought Merc's were supposed to be comfortable".

I keep thinking I should get wifey to make a little pad out of something suitable and perhaps I could velcro it to the seat.

ETA: Would second Malcom's comments about getting the facelift model. Obviously you may have a budget to stick to so be careful of looking at post-facelift and then buying a pre-facelift. MB made a lot of under the skin changes to steering and suspension. Malcolm has the build date but not many really appeared until 54reg.

On the facelift Elegance and Avantgarde were very similar with Elegance being some kind of wood trim and Avantgarde being aluminium. The glass is tinted different colours - green for Elegence and blue for Avantgarde. The suspension is supposed to be the same but I think the Avantgarde (which I have) is lower. A lot of Avantgardes have Sports suspension and 17" alloys. I *think* these also get Sports seats, which maybe would answer your problem if you could live with the ride.

Bear in mind all those comments are about the post-facelift. I have no idea if they also apply to the pre-facelift cars.

An E Class would be a lot more comfortable but cars of the age that you're likely to be looking at do have some possibly expensive issues.

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
As Rory re the Avantgarde, suspension is firmer than Elegance. The Sports seats I have in my Sports Pack Avantgarde are very supportive (I also suffer from chronic back pain) and comfortable, far better than the seats in the Elegance loan car I drove for a while.

But

And it is a big but the suspension that usually accompanies the sport seat is very much firmer. The sport suspension is stiffer and lower and combined with the larger wheels gives a very taught ride. Great for handling, you either love it or hate it.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
There is a MB back cushion which can be fitted as an after-market accessory.It has pump attached so the amount of support can be varied. I have one for my W169 A Class and it works well - but I think it also fits other models. Would have gone for a car with lumbar support built-in,but was offered such a good deal that decided to go the add-on accessory route.

OP
D

Dazzler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDi Estate 05
So how can you tell from pics wether the car is pre or post facelift??
Is the radio one of them? (ie double din on facelift)

SpikeUK

Reaction score
So how can you tell from pics wether the car is pre or post facelift??
Is the radio one of them? (ie double din on facelift)

Yes the radio and interior is different, but a quick check of the front headlights will tell you. The post-facelift cars were fitted with clear glass in the lights whereas the older cars had a sort of "reeded" look.

As it happens, I changed my headlights as I preferred the clear type...

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
There is a MB back cushion which can be fitted as an after-market accessory.It has pump attached so the amount of support can be varied. I have one for my W169 A Class and it works well - but I think it also fits other models .

I've had a look around but can't see where to get one.

If you can post details it will be helpful.

Thanks.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
I've had a look around but can't see where to get one.

If you can post details it will be helpful.

Thanks.

Hello Peter

The back cushion is available from MB dealers. Part no A000 970 0690 and costs £48.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom