C Class or E Class

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
Have you sat in them both for 10 mins?
Did this recently whilst waiting for mine to be serviced.

The C class is not for me - I don't like the interior trim but also the C320 CDI I sat in had sports seats which were just too small. I'm 6' and 14.5 stone and the central back part of the seat is just not wide enough meaning that the sporty "wings" constantly dig into your back. OK I'm sure they are very good for fast cornering but how often do you do that these days? Not German size seats for sure.

I like the look of the C - esp. the sports version but the interior kills it IMO.

HJHPH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate.
Have you sat in them both for 10 mins?
Did this recently whilst waiting for mine to be serviced.

The C class is not for me - I don't like the interior trim but also the C320 CDI I sat in had sports seats which were just too small. I'm 6' and 14.5 stone and the central back part of the seat is just not wide enough meaning that the sporty "wings" constantly dig into your back. OK I'm sure they are very good for fast cornering but how often do you do that these days? Not German size seats for sure.

I like the look of the C - esp. the sports version but the interior kills it IMO.
Would have to agree, had a 204 classic 220 cdi for a couple of days while mine was in for a window repair. Livelier than my E class and the sound from the hi fi was much better but the acres of black plastic (albeit good quality) killed it for me.
I seem to be more surrounded by my interior and dash in the E class rather than having it sat in front of me if that makes any sense.:)
Paul.

OP
S

scooby3408

Reaction score
Hi all

Just been reading some older post's, and it seems to me that the w204 Sport gear box is naff so will not look at the sport.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
How is the 204 gear box naff. Its the same 5spd box in both the 220cdi's of the E and C classes. The bigger engined 204's get the same 7 speed box thats also in the 211 cars. Drive train wise IIRC the 220cdi 204s and 211's are identical, but thats all they have, thereafter they are different cars.

OP
S

scooby3408

Reaction score
Read the post about thumping gear changes, Vibration at low speeds IE 40pmh

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Read the post about thumping gear changes, Vibration at low speeds IE 40pmh

Give a link to it please. Early seven speed boxes had the problem of occasionally giving a jerky gearchange especially at low speeds when slowing down. I had that on the new S class, which I borrowed for a couple of weeks. It was put right on all models with a software update.

Lots have reported good things about the 7 speed box so I wouldn't worry.
Personally I prefer the 5 speed which has more than enough gears for modern engines IMO. My dislike of the sport is partly the harsher ride which does not suit UK roads, but also the fact that it is all so let's pretend. Sport used to mean, twin carbs, a straight-through exhaust, a reworked cylinder head and high lift cams that gave genuinely more performance. Now the Sport offers the same performance as a base model -just some silly shiny pedals and bits of trim. 'All show and no go' as they used to say.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom