C Class or E Class

scooby3408

Reaction score
Hi all Thinking of buying a newish Mercedes I was all set with the new C Class w204 220 cdi Elegance at about £20000, I like the look and reviews i have read.

Looking at the 2009 E Class Avantgarde with the same motor in it, you get the same mpg give or take 1%.

In the c class command you get all of Europe coverage not certain in the e class but i think the c class is better looking.

Please give me you thoughts and why HELP ME

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
IMHO Better comand in the E, both have Europe. Do you need the space of the E? I would try them both and see which you prefer. I haven't tried the new C but I'm not taken on it so far.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
The 204 is a very nice car and its a better looking car than the 2009 E class (w212). Its been so far a very reliable car, and the new E class is still an unknown quantity.

Do you need a car as large as an E class? You could do 1 better and go for a late W211 (2007 E class onwards) as it will be cheaper £ for £ than a 204 and they are very good cars. £20k will get you a lot more W211 than w204 and it will get sod all W212

OP
S

scooby3408

Reaction score
I dont need a big car, my current car C Class 250td i have had from one year old 1998 so i keep my cars a long time this is why i need to get the right one

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Do you need a car as large as an E class? You could do 1 better and go for a late W211 (2007 E class onwards) as it will be cheaper £ for £ than a 204 and they are very good cars. £20k will get you a lot more W211 than w204 and it will get sod all W212

Much truth here - the Americans say "there is no substitute for cubic inches". They meant the engine but the same is true generally. The E Class just has that much more space to stretch out (cabin and boot) and, as you say, economy is comparable.

I would be inclined to the E Class, but it is a personal choice. Go for an Avantgarde (nice trim, xenon lights) along with 80L fuel tank and folding rear seats - if you can find that combination.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Much truth here - the Americans say "there is no substitute for cubic inches". They meant the engine but the same is true generally. The E Class just has that much more space to stretch out (cabin and boot) and, as you say, economy is comparable.

I would be inclined to the E Class, but it is a personal choice. Go for an Avantgarde (nice trim, xenon lights) along with 80L fuel tank and folding rear seats - if you can find that combination.

With a 220cdi engine. Lovely relaxing motor that can travel further one on tank than i can drive without the need to stop and eat.

I also forgot that the interior materials are nicer in the 211 car than in the 204 car

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi all Thinking of buying a newish Mercedes I was all set with the new C Class w204 220 cdi Elegance at about £20000, I like the look and reviews i have read.

Looking at the 2009 E Class Avantgarde with the same motor in it, you get the same mpg give or take 1%.

In the c class command you get all of Europe coverage not certain in the e class but i think the c class is better looking.

Please give me you thoughts and why HELP ME

Re the Comand they are all dependent on the DVD disc for the country that you wish to travel in.

I think that the E class is so much nicer than the C in terms of appointments

HJHPH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate.

+1, recently purchased an E 220 cdi AG and it's superb, smooth quiet and feels solid, like it will last for years. And as said before you will get far more E Class for £20k than 204 C Class. Also try to get parktronic.
Paul.

OP
S

scooby3408

Reaction score
In the C class the map is on a HDD 30 gig,with 4 gig space for mp3 s ,not disk is this the same on the e class???

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I'm assuming you are aware that the new model E class is just about here now (called the 212 series whereas the current model is the 211 series).

The new model will cost you £30k and don't even ask for a discount yet!

The current model is available on some tasty PCP deals on the MB website (with Avantgarde, leather and auto and metallic paint thrown in for free, plus a discount, plus a low APR and an excellent Guaranteed Value in three years time. Or for cash or with your own finance, you will get a big discount and the same extras thrown in free.

Year old or nearly new versions are at remarkably cheap prices -because of the deals they are doing on new. I got mine 6 months old for a shed-load off list price.

The C class is nice too. Less roomy but still with plenty of room for most. Drive both would be my advice. Then buy the E 220cdi, Avantgarde, with leather and parktronic. You won't need a bigger fuel tank. You can do the moon and back on the standard tank.

If you have £30k for the new model E class, the new engines do even more MPG than those in the current E class (see the MB website for full details on both).

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Had My C, for just over a month now ...........love it to bits !! .. considered an E at the time, and realising the new one was on its way, decided they were expensive for what they are compared to a C .......... The new C class is a lot bigger then the old one, plenty of legroom in the rear, and a decent boot ............... hold the road nicley, and is well screwed together ......... The E is a whole different ball game ....old mans car if you ask me ! ..it's neither agile, nor luxurious ........ but a nice drive, and very quiet.

Drive them both .......spend time inside, and find out which one is the place to be for you !!

HJHPH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate.
Had My C, for just over a month now ...........love it to bits !! .. considered an E at the time, and realising the new one was on its way, decided they were expensive for what they are compared to a C .......... The new C class is a lot bigger then the old one, plenty of legroom in the rear, and a decent boot ............... hold the road nicley, and is well screwed together ......... The E is a whole different ball game ....old mans car if you ask me ! ..it's neither agile, nor luxurious ........ but a nice drive, and very quiet.

Drive them both .......spend time inside, and find out which one is the place to be for you !!
Horses for courses but I would say the E is extremely luxurious and with the lowered suspension on the AG handling is more than adequate.
Just my opinion;)

outsmartsmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 A124 E320 Sportline
Take an E!!!

Had C220CDi, my first foray into Merc' ownership and a damn fine car. I struggled that the C was too small 10% of the time and the E too big 90% of the time when I chose first time round.

Now exiting company car scheme I put my own cash into an E320CDi Avantgarde and it is bl00dy fantastic. Seems better quality and comes with better equipment (most importantly front and rear PDC, Xenons and a superb panoramic roof).

The engine is sublime and it currently is doing 40mpg on fast, clear roads.

Pound for pound the E has it for me but don't dismiss the C class, you need to drive both as many people said. Would recommend both for slightly different uses.

P

PanzerMcGrory

The E-Class is built right by workers in the reich who know how to build a luxury car, The C-Class however is not.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Well, my wifes last C class (54plate), was extremely well screwed together .....and did over 100K in 3 years ......... and they were all supposed to have been pants !

Jensen

Reaction score
The 204 is a very nice car and its a better looking car than the 2009 E class (w212). Its been so far a very reliable car, and the new E class is still an unknown quantity.

Sound advice and a recommendation I would endorse. In addition somebody else has suffered the depreciation. A late W211 2007 its got to be..................

merc7

Reaction score
I had the same dilemma last month between E-class/C- class,after a lengthy shopping around& thinking went for the w204 c- class, c180k sport it is a dream machine,not a comparison to the 203,!! my wife got my previous w203 57 plate different car altogether,had the car now nearly a week it is wow wow wow.
But i do like the look of the new E-class;)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom