C Class W204 Advice

max635

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
Having owned an e280 W210 for the best part of 18 years until it died, I'm now after a c class and would like some advice please?

I'm toying with the idea of an Estate (no children/pets), but the occasional ladder, wood and ikea furniture. I note the W204 estate is about the same length as the W210.
or
W204 Saloon.

I'm told some of the saloons, have rear seats which fold down. Is this from a particular year? or Model? This would offer practicality.

Which ever vehicle i go for it needs to be:
Petrol & Automatic and ideally CO2 emissions under 165.
Perhaps half urban and half motorway driving.

I've seen the estates with a sports trim but just a 1.6L on a c180. Can a 1.6L engine be any fun to drive on an estate or even a saloon? I worry it may be under powered. For the vehicle to be described as Sport, I'm assuming it must have some extra power. Or am i mistaken?

Budget is about £7000-£10,000.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Having owned an e280 W210 for the best part of 18 years until it died, I'm now after a c class and would like some advice please?

I'm toying with the idea of an Estate (no children/pets), but the occasional ladder, wood and ikea furniture. I note the W204 estate is about the same length as the W210.
or
W204 Saloon.

I'm told some of the saloons, have rear seats which fold down. Is this from a particular year? or Model? This would offer practicality.

Which ever vehicle i go for it needs to be:
Petrol & Automatic and ideally CO2 emissions under 165.
Perhaps half urban and half motorway driving.

I've seen the estates with a sports trim but just a 1.6L on a c180. Can a 1.6L engine be any fun to drive on an estate or even a saloon? I worry it may be under powered. For the vehicle to be described as Sport, I'm assuming it must have some extra power. Or am i mistaken?

Budget is about £7000-£10,000.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Just to try and answer some of your questions:

Sport is a trim level and, although the suspension is slightly lowered there is no increase in power over the SE, which is a 'lower' trim level. The AMG Sport is lowered again with bigger wheels which make it a bit hard on the road for some tastes.

I had a 1.6 Estate for about 18 months; I found it lively emough for just 2 of us and it still had more than enough when we loaded it for the holidays. It was also very ecomomical. Just make sure you get one with the 274 engine which seems to be much more reliable and economical than the 271 which was also available for a short time as a 1.6.

All the estates have folding seats; the saloons above SE, ie Sport and AMG Sport, also have folding seats.

Personally, I would have no hesitation in buying another C180, M274 Sport, but would avoid the AMG Sport.

Let us know how you get on!

Ernie

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Just to try and answer some of your questions:

Sport is a trim level and, although the suspension is slightly lowered there is no increase in power over the SE, which is a 'lower' trim level. The AMG Sport is lowered again with bigger wheels which make it a bit hard on the road for some tastes.

"Sport" cars came with 17" wheels with an option for 18", there is little discernable difference in ride between the two (My mother has a Sport on 17" and I have a Sport on 18")

AMG Sport was on later cars mainly the Coupe, several cars on AT are labelled "AMG Sport" but are Sport as they have AMG wheels on

The "125 Edition" I posted was brought out to commemorate 125 years of MB and had more kit on

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
"Sport" cars came with 17" wheels with an option for 18", there is little discernable difference in ride between the two (My mother has a Sport on 17" and I have a Sport on 18")

AMG Sport was on later cars mainly the Coupe, several cars on AT are labelled "AMG Sport" but are Sport as they have AMG wheels on

The "125 Edition" I posted was brought out to commemorate 125 years of MB and had more kit on
I would happily swap some comfort for the 18" wheels, the 17" on mine look way too small.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
I would happily swap some comfort for the 18" wheels, the 17" on mine look way too small.
That's a matter of taste, though! 'One man's meat is another's poison,' as they say!

Ernie

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's a matter of taste, though! 'One man's meat is another's poison,' as they say!

Ernie
Maybe I was a bit too strong in the "way too small" comment, maybe a bit small.

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C250D Coupe / Ex SL500 R230 - CLC V6 - Crossfire V6 - W203 C230k Coupe
Having owned a few older generation mercs including the w203 / r230 / w209 / crossfire (come on its a merc really) I personally find the w204 abit of a let down. It doesnt feel SOLID like a tank to me. It feels light. It dents easily. Driving the w204 feels like an Astra H to me. That unpredicabilty. It doesnt feel Planted like the w203 did. Might be the steering. Not sure. Car generally feels light and cheap IMO in comparison to the older mercs (I guess efficiency is the key word)

My c250 D is nippy around town. But has no real grunt. Mid range is abit embarrassing so I dont even try. ITs stock as far as I know.

I guess this is a personal response & im used to more poke from a car & a more planted feel. I know mine is a diesel but the specs arent much different to a c250 PeTROL so I guess it would perform the same

It depends on what performance youre used to I guess.

Cant beat the old test drive to make your mind up.

One mans quick is another mans slow.

maybe the c160 can be a nicer drive with some tuning? (not my field sorry)

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Chrysler Crossfire convertible.
I had a 171, and it was gorgeous, apart from the built in rust.
A Crossfire I would really love, if it was anywhere near as enjoyable as my 171.
Anyone on here got one? Or had experience of one?

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having owned a few older generation mercs including the w203 / r230 / w209 / crossfire (come on its a merc really) I personally find the w204 abit of a let down. It doesnt feel SOLID like a tank to me. It feels light. It dents easily. Driving the w204 feels like an Astra H to me. That unpredicabilty. It doesnt feel Planted like the w203 did. Might be the steering. Not sure. Car generally feels light and cheap IMO in comparison to the older mercs (I guess efficiency is the key word)

My c250 D is nippy around town. But has no real grunt. Mid range is abit embarrassing so I dont even try. ITs stock as far as I know.

I guess this is a personal response & im used to more poke from a car & a more planted feel. I know mine is a diesel but the specs arent much different to a c250 PeTROL so I guess it would perform the same

It depends on what performance youre used to I guess.

Cant beat the old test drive to make your mind up.

One mans quick is another mans slow.

maybe the c160 can be a nicer drive with some tuning? (not my field sorry)
I came from years of driving different aged, Astra's, Vectra's, Insignia's and Modeo's, and I can say for sure that my 2013 W204 is better in every single area........Apart from MPG of course.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I went from a Vectra to a W210 now that was a step change :)

1.8 ltr petrol to 3.2ltr diesel, more power, less fuel and wrapped in a wonderfully comfortable package.

SH0X

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C250D Coupe / Ex SL500 R230 - CLC V6 - Crossfire V6 - W203 C230k Coupe
OK maybe I was a little harsh on my old pal MR c250D.

ITs quick when you give it the beans. Maybe my driving style has changed. It doesnt have the mid range or raw (6.2/6.5 seconds has always been my bench mark requirement to feel exciting enough) but it actually does fly when you drive like a brave man.

But I dont take back that it feel lightweight and twitchy unlike the older gen Mercs/BMW/Audi (IMO)

So to cut that short - a petrol version which has pretty much the same performance should be a lot of fun around town (c250 cgi as someone recommended above)

But yes try them all and see what you like :p

PS.
I loved my crossfires (had manual & auto). If you can get past the front end looks its actually a lot of car for the money and STILL gets looks. IMO its a nicer looking R171. It felt the same if not better than my 3.2 v6 petrol w203 c coupe I had a the same time. Ill buy one again one day hopefully :)

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI

What extra equipment / kit was that ?

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom