C180 (94) ignition key won't turn

daveseavista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Hi
I have a auto 1994 c180 with just a plain ignition key (not electronic).This morning the key would not turn. The steering wheel is unlocked but I can not get the key to position 1. I have tried both keys, wiggling them, spraying silicon into the lock but no joy.

All the posts I have looked at assume you can get the key to position 1.

I have the following questions:

I removed the cable nut on the side (based on the Haynes manual this is the auto box interlock) The key would not turn with it removed or when I pushed a small screwdriver into the hole. I did notice that the plunger on the end of the cable does not move in or out when I shift out of drive? Is this correct. What does cause the plunger to move?

How do I remove the ignition switch when I can not get the key to position 1? I have tried removing the bolt on the steering lock collar but even though the lock is lose it will not come out.

I imagine a new ignition switch would cost more than the car is worth? Is there a way of losing the ability to use the key and start the car with say a screwdriver. I.e. if I drilled out the barrel would this enable me to start the car with a screwdriver?

I had to take today off work due to this problem but I need the car for Monday so I am looking for a quick fix (bodge) if one is possible.

Many thanks in advance Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You just need a new barrel for the switch as I see it I can send you the instructions on haw to fit and they are circa £50 from MB and ordered for your car

OP
D

daveseavista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
You just need a new barrel for the switch as I see it I can send you the instructions on haw to fit and they are circa £50 from MB and ordered for your car
Hi Malcolm.

That would be excellent. do you need my email or can you send it to my forum account?

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
PM it to me and I will send it later in the day, click on my detials top left and the PM choice comes up

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
The reason the key won’t turn to position 1 is due to wear inside the lock. If you put a coat of nail varnish on the blade it can overcome the problem, take your time and do it as described in attachments.

See also… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=69034

Dec

Attachments

• keyvarnish1.jpg
    keyvarnish1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 593
  • keyvarnish2.jpg
    keyvarnish2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 472
  • keyvarnish3.jpg
    keyvarnish3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 440
  • keyvarnish4.jpg
    keyvarnish4.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 461
  • keyvarnish5.jpg
    keyvarnish5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 427
OP
D

daveseavista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Hi Dec
Many thanks for the tip. The first side of the key is drying as I type this. My wife does not use nail varnish so I had to buy some and I don't think the assistant was convinced by my reason for buying it!

I will report back on the outcome.

Many thanks again Dave

Mrs R Maths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e 1991 J plate 1800 petrol
Thank you to Dec for posting the nail varnish "fix" my 190e is currently stuck in my drive having recently had a rather expensive new top coat and a lot of tidying up done I was dismayed when the key failed to turn. Off to dig out the rarely used nail varnish and something that vibrates to combine two suggestions seen on this page. Will update levels of success!! Here's hoping. :)

Top Bottom