C180 (94) serpentine tensioner wear?

daveseavista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Hi. There is mechanical noise coming from the front of the engine of my petrol C180 1994. I suspected one of the ancillary components so I removed the serpentine belt and moved each pulley in turn. There was no end float on the serpentine tensioner but I could rock it top to bottom and feel movement. Is this normal or could this be causing the noise?

Many thanks in advance Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you have a damper fitted it could be that, that is if you have one

OP
D

daveseavista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Hi Malcolm
Yes there is a damper from the thermostat housing going down to the tensioner. Mine is different to the Haynes manual as it shows a spring system mine does not have. Do you think it is the tensioner pulley bearing or the damper?

Many thanks Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With the damper undo one end and test it,it should be quite stiff to pull in and out, once faulty they really can rattle

kul1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W 202 and W204 and now a W212
I had a similar issue on my 202 and it was the damper, not expensive to source.

OP
D

daveseavista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Hi
I have checked the damper and it is stiff when pushed down but can be pulled up with almost no effort. I will replace this first. There still appears to be play on the tensioner pulley so I will replace the tensioner if the damper does not fix the noise. Many thanks again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi
I have checked the damper and it is stiff when pushed down but can be pulled up with almost no effort. I will replace this first. There still appears to be play on the tensioner pulley so I will replace the tensioner if the damper does not fix the noise. Many thanks again.

They will solve all of your problems

OP
D

daveseavista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Hi I have changed the tensioner damper. I needed to buy a viscous fan spanner to remove the fan as normal spanners will not fit. The damper has a rear nut with a 10mm hex socket in the rear. I could not locate the hex drive into the socket fully with the tensioner in place so I removed it and did the job on the bench. I also replaced the serpentine belt at the same time as I had no idea how old it was. On first try it does sound quieter but as the problem was intermittent time will tell.

Thanks for all the help.

OP
D

daveseavista

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Hi The damper solved the rattle noise but there was a wining noise still present. I changed the belt tensioner pulley wheel and that has solved the problem completely.

Many thanks for the help.
Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pleased its all OK and sorry I missed your last post, it just gets too busy at times

Top Bottom