C180 coupe

Gearsfan666

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi everyone.Ive been looking for one of the abovefor a while now and ive been offered a 51 reg C180 coupe for £5995.Trouble is its covered 94000 miles and i'm a bit apprehensive about it having such high mileage.Is this much of a problem for a car like this?It comes with all service printouts but doesn't have the stamped book.Any advice would be greatfully appreciated....thank you.

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
Personally I would keep of a C class from around that era .The 2000 to 2004 C classes can be a whole bundle of expensive trouble if your are not very careful .I don’t like to put you of the marqu but Mercedes C classes seemed to go through a bad patch in the 2000-4 years. I think due to joining up with Chrysler and going into mass production of “quality “ cars using their excellent pedigree and badge cachet to propel them in prospective mass buyers minds and achieve “volume quality car sales” . Unfortunately things just didn’t work out like that and quality suffered. The cars though technically advance are a bit too technically advanced for their own good and can be plagued with electrical problems if you get a bad one.

Most of them seemed to be built in South Africa from components supplied from Germany and somehow they just didn’t seem to screw them together as well as the Germans had in previous years of motherland production.

Their are a good number of people out there that bought C classes of this era who found running a Mercedes a very expensive experience. The previous original C class was a good reliable car and there is evidence that post 2004 (twin speedo /rev counter dials) models are improving vastly and are the ones to go for.

A quick check though the mechanical and electrical problems section of the forum will confirm the situation but of course there are people from this era with relatively trouble free cars so you may have a good experience if your lucky.

Things have improved dramatically recently though and hopefully the new C class will prove to be as good as Mercedes used to be before the hiccup in quality.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,,I think that I would avoid that car,,too much unknown about it

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
I agree with Malcolm, too much money for the year plus milieage is quiet high

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I agree with the others. Even if everything else appears tip top (and it is not in this case), I still find that I choose cars at an emotional level as well as a mechanical one (this is OK as long as you do it the right way round).

A bit like any sort of important partnership - when you see the right one, you will know.

I didn't get the impression from your OP that you felt it was the one for you?

There are lots of good cars out there. Be picky and don't settle for anything that feels anything less than ideal. Then cherish it.

Top Bottom