Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its in the control box under the bonnet

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Under the bonnet passenger side, just in front of the windscreen is where my ECU lives, though I believe some early C classes have a control unit fitted under the washer bottle.

OP
B

benlauren

Reaction score
Many thanks to Malcolm and Andy. Right so back to the question of do I need to do anything else apart from simply replacing it? and can I do that myself or do I need a guy with a special tool?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just read back and the car is a 1996 so it is just plug and play

C

Carl Hills

Hello

My petrol vito has the same engine. I left it standing for three months then it would not start. I took the injectors out, checked the fuel, plugs etc. Nothing wrong. I bought a diagnostic socket tested it and it ws the crank sensor, I think the end gets rusty and won't read. I bought a new one (£85) and it worked fine. You may get away with cleaning the rust off the end but it is very tight and hard to remove without damaging the cable. I would bet it is the crank sensor. If your crank sensor doesn't know where top dead centre is, it won't spark and inject at the right point.

Good luck Carl

OP
B

benlauren

Reaction score
Hello

My petrol vito has the same engine. I left it standing for three months then it would not start. I took the injectors out, checked the fuel, plugs etc. Nothing wrong. I bought a diagnostic socket tested it and it ws the crank sensor, I think the end gets rusty and won't read. I bought a new one (£85) and it worked fine. You may get away with cleaning the rust off the end but it is very tight and hard to remove without damaging the cable. I would bet it is the crank sensor. If your crank sensor doesn't know where top dead centre is, it won't spark and inject at the right point.

Good luck Carl

but the garage says they have tested it and it is fine!! Could it be they are not telling me the truth? They showed me a new crank sensor in the box! I have to take their words for it. I found a box (# 140 as Malcolm said) under the washer bottle and have taken it out. The car is about a mile away and i have already made three trips there and back. If the crank sensor is the root cause of the problem I shall slit my wrist.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A simple ohm meter will tell you, 1 k ohm when good

OP
B

benlauren

Reaction score
A simple ohm meter will tell you, 1 k ohm when good

Thanks mate I have to make another trip to the car with some spanners. Seems a must do before i embark on anything else. Will let you know.

OP
B

benlauren

Reaction score
I manged to get a reading from the CPS and it reads 0.825 ohms.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That cannot be right unless it has gone short circuit

82.25K could be OK but not 0.825 ohms

OP
B

benlauren

Reaction score
That cannot be right unless it has gone short circuit

82.25K could be OK but not 0.825 ohms

I put the multimetre on 2k max and that's what i got. Sry that means 0.825 kohms

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I put the multimetre on 2k max and that's what i got. Sry that means 0.825 kohms

I am not awake yet and that looks to be OK, and near enough 1KΩ , they are funny things to measure as the field set up from the battery in the meter apposes the reading

OP
B

benlauren

Reaction score
I am not awake yet and that looks to be OK, and near enough 1KΩ , they are funny things to measure as the field set up from the battery in the meter apposes the reading

so the cps is ok then? the garage said they put a new one in but still no joy.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so the cps is ok then? the garage said they put a new one in but still no joy.

Its OK and they were telling the truth,,sorry about the keeping fit bit, but I hate anyone buying things that they do not need

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh thats it then. can't afford that. It is a shame because it has been a lovely car. Still taxed and the tank is full.

There are loads of these being broken up, you should get one cheap

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom