C180 fob unlocks. But key won't turn

Martinm4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180
Hi. My 1995 C180 will unlock with the fob. But the key will not turn. I manged to start it twice since this began. But no more key turning now.

The fob battery tests fine and the car battery is charged.

Any clues. I don't want to resync the fob as I can't turn the key at all

Thanks
Martin.

OP
M

Martinm4

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180
Hi. No action on the steering lock when the key is inserted.
Cheers martin

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi do you have another key to try???

Irresistance

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W220 320CDI
Ok I once managed to half-destroy my FOB for the W210 by slamming it between the door... for a while, it would activate the steering lock, but then this stopped. It could still open the car, but that's it. The "head" of the key became broken/loose and I think that this sends an IR signal to the receiver inside the ignition. Without signal (or any kind of recognition that it is the correct key) the lock won't disengage. I suspect you have the same problem.

I never bothered to get the key fixed or recoded or what not coz I have a second one.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
It will be a mechanical steering lock/ignition switch, if it is 1995.

If so, and if the key can be turned, you can unbolt it and fit a new one, or even just change the lock barrel in situ - a five minute job.
If the key cannot be turned, at all, you are in for much sawing and drilling.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom