C180K 03 petrol Manual crazy idling.

AandC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203/2003/c180
When idling, the revs constantly rise and fall from under 1000 to over 2000
It is a steady action which is very annoying. I have had it checked and it comes up with a possible airleak or it could lead to something more serious so Im told.

The car never cuts out but it does struggle on the lowest point of the revs at about 700rpm and then over-compensates for the possible lack of air.

Cold it be the MAF unit~?. I am completely at a loss.

Any help greatly appreciated

type49

Reaction score
Probably a breather pipe on NS engine, towards the front, under the air filter housing. The housing must be removed to get to pipe but it has a fiddly hose clip at the rear. Whole job is a bit fiddly but at least the pipe is cheap!! If it is that, that is......

OP
A

AandC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203/2003/c180
Apologies for not replying and thanking you for the suggestion. I have been away for the last week or so. I havent had a close look, but seem to have located the pipe at least. If it is this part, am I looking for a hole or wear and tear or something more obvious.

Thankyou again for your help.

KB

OP
A

AandC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203/2003/c180
Problem has been sorted out.

On closer inspection I could hear a very loud hissing sound when the engine was running from exactly where you indicated. It turned out to be a perished air pipe, about six inches long, with a large hole in it. My local mechanic fixed it for a tenner!

Another happy ending. A garage I asked about it talked of some very deep rooted problems they wanted to look at. RIPOFF!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom