C180K squealing noise

musicronny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2004/1.8
Hi,

I have a problem locating where a squealing noise is coming from on my 2004 C180 1.8L Kompressor, M271 engine. I've added 3 videos to show my problem:

1st whilst idling without squeal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkaous--U3g

2nd with squeal when accelerator applied
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0l5gJ4AKas

3rd condition of pulleys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCwbTWmNm8A

The squeal isn't there at startup and only starts when I accelerate or even go over a speed hump. It seems worse when it gets warm and driving around town (at low speeds). Although when cruising on motorways/ dual carriageways at 50mph or more it disappears. I've replaced the idler pulley and belt with no success.

I have been told that it may be an exhaust issue and to check I should take the wideband silencer & serpentine belt off and test the car as in video 2. But to not run for longer than 1 minute. If the squeal still exists then it isn't any of the pulleys..

I really wanted to see if I could get any ideas from here before I take it into a garage. And any recommendations for indy's local to Lichfield, Staffs would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would have said idler, but you have replaced it, not easy :(

ELGRINGO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e230 c180 sl280 brabus a190 smar cart
squeal

Hi have had a noise the same was the alternator clutch pulley siezed, remove belt and check operation.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clutch type alternator pulleys only fitted to diesels I think

ampwhu

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W203 C200CDI Avantgarde se
after replacing alternator pulley and removing the belt then starting engine, the noise is still there so it isn't a pulley wheel.

it screeches at around 2000rpm when pressing pedal. then disappears at about 3000rpm. it doesn't do it on tickover.

OP
M

musicronny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2004/1.8
after replacing alternator pulley and removing the belt then starting engine, the noise is still there so it isn't a pulley wheel.

it screeches at around 2000rpm when pressing pedal. then disappears at about 3000rpm. it doesn't do it on tickover.

Hi, was it ok running your car without the belt on? I was told to try that and see if the squealing noise still happened. If it did then it can't be a pulley and is most likely an exhaust issue. I read somewhere, but can't find it now, that someone had a similar problem and it was a loose baffle connection...

OP
M

musicronny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2004/1.8
Clutch type alternator pulleys only fitted to diesels I think

Hi, yes I believe the alternator pulley on my model (petrol) is the freewheel type. And, as in my video, my alternator pulley spins freely.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The alternator will spin freely in either direction with the belt off, the one way clutch type is only fitted to diesel engines.

OP
M

musicronny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2004/1.8
I've just started it up with no serpentine belt on and there wasn't a squeal, but it was only running for 30secs and it may not have got warm enough. However after having another look at the pulleys, I think I will change the tensioner pulley next as its making a slight noise when I turn it... and it looks like I need a special torx bit!! I'll have a new tool kit at this rate :eek:

OP
M

musicronny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2004/1.8
The alternator will spin freely in either direction with the belt off, the one way clutch type is only fitted to diesel engines.

Hi,

Do you know if the Power Steering pulley and A/C compressor pulley should spin both ways? Both spin freely anti-clockwise and seem to have some sort of clutch action turning clockwise. But both do turn clockwise.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nothing special on this, the pump should turn in both directions, they run clockwise, I am not experienced enough to know how they should feel, an indie needs to answer this.

OP
M

musicronny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2004/1.8
Well its not the tensioner pulley as i've just replaced that and no change on a little test drive.

Anyone know if the supercharger pulley can cause squealing noises/problems?

OP
M

musicronny

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2004/1.8
Sorted

Eventually found out that the squealing was being caused by a broken bracket on the exhaust. The bracket was rubbing against where it had broken off. It only took 3 new pulleys and a belt before I got there though!

Top Bottom