C200 gearbox noise

lycanthrope

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Hello,
I'm new to the forum so apologies if I've posted in the incorrect section.
I'm buying my first MB, it's a 1999 C200 Elegance. It is in excellent condition, the only "problem" being a strange noise when accelerating, it happens for less than a second and is like a very fast click click click. It only happens when I pull away in first (auto box) and doesn't happen at any other time, it changes gears fine & the gearbox is very smooth.
Any advice would be appreciated as I'm in Australia and they're not a particularly common car here.
Thanks in advance.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
G'day mate. I love Australia. Been there twice (WA) and just about to book to go there again early next year.
I've had two C200's in the past. Yours will be a 5 speed auto and l presume it doesn't make the noise if the gearbox is placed into W mode ?
I'd suggest you start by checking the autobox fluid level. Easier said than done as a dip stick isn't fitted. You can buy one online l believe or you can even use curtain wire - do a search on here. If the fluid is low then follow the correct top up procedure and use the correct fluid (important).
Good luck

OP
L

lycanthrope

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
I
G'day mate. I love Australia. Been there twice (WA) and just about to book to go there again early next year.
I've had two C200's in the past. Yours will be a 5 speed auto and l presume it doesn't make the noise if the gearbox is placed into W mode ?
I'd suggest you start by checking the autobox fluid level. Easier said than done as a dip stick isn't fitted. You can buy one online l believe or you can even use curtain wire - do a search on here. If the fluid is low then follow the correct top up procedure and use the correct fluid (important).
Good luck

I'm in WA, it's nice here even in winter!
I haven't tried it in W mode, I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll have a look then. It's got fsh up to 170,000kms and it's on 190,000kms now so I suppose it's due a service.
I'll do a search on here and check the oil too.
Thanks for the advice!

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Good luck then. It's possible the gearbox oil and filter have never been changed. Merc say it's a sealed for life unit but that isn't the case. Again search on here for more info. I hope you get this sorted on this "rare" car.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Check that the handbrake cable, that runs the length of the transmission tunnel, has not come loose.

Its common on the 203's but I cannot tell which yours is. At 1999 its probably a 202.

OP
L

lycanthrope

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 C200
Check that the handbrake cable, that runs the length of the transmission tunnel, has not come loose.

Its common on the 203's but I cannot tell which yours is. At 1999 its probably a 202.

Thanks, next weekend I'll be doing a mini service so I'll check that too.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom