C200 (W202) 2000 - Oil leak when parked for a couple of days

mfour

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Benz C 200 (W202)
Hi all

I'm a bit baffled by my C200's oil leak. When in daily use it has (as far as I can tell) no oil leak at all. However, if the car stands for 2 days or more, then a larg'ish puddle of oil ends up on my garage floor. The longer it stands, the more oil I find. The leak appears to come from the back of the motor, where the gearbox (Auto) and motor meets, but unfortunately I can't get a clear view of exactly what is going on. The oil level seems ok, 100% Full (on dipstick) checked after standing the few days, and about 75% (maybe a bit more) when warm.

I've checked the top, sides and front of the motor for any signs of leakage, but no luck. Is there anything obvious I should be looking at, i.e. over-filling, or the like.

Would really appreciate any comments.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome.

The first thing to do is to get an aerosol of engine cleaner, start at the top and work down. It can be very hard to say where the leak is as the fan blows it all to the rear, once clean you should see where it is coming from

OP
M

mfour

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Benz C 200 (W202)
Thanks for the welcoming.

The engine is clean and dry everywhere, it's only the back, bottom end which has the oil. Guess I'll need to get it jacked up and do some cleaning. I just found it odd that it only leaves a puddle after standing for some time. Also the leaked oil is light brown in colour and very thin, it is absorbed into the floor quite quick. Although it is not red in colour, could it be dirty transmission fluid perhaps?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Indeed it could be transmission fluid,,that will be brownish looking. This could be coming from the pin bush that can leak,,its on the side of the box

OP
M

mfour

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Benz C 200 (W202)
Damn that was quick! Thanks again, will have a look at that this week and report back.

Thanks again!

OP
M

mfour

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 Benz C 200 (W202)
Quick update...

I eventually had to take the car in to an indy today, exhaust manifold gasket needs replacing. Tried as I might I could not find the origin of the leak, as the underbelly mostly covered with cover plates. They just informed me that it is the "Gearbox Plug Seal" that is leaking, and will be replaced. Labour and parts included, with a rought curreny conversion, I'm looking at about £ 63.00

Not too bad I guess.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom