C200 w202 Won't Start after CAT problem

tomba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 w202 Elegance Auto/1996/45k miles
Hi. I wonder if anyone can help me please?
CAT was rattling and then stopped rattling....under strain the car then went into limp home mode...20mph even with full revs. AA man says it's the CAT...new CAT ordered and now inside car waiting for fit.
Tried to drive to garage to get CAT fitted....disaster! :(
The car (1996, C200 S202 Elegance Automatic with only 45k on clock) started okay, reversed, put into D...it spluttered to a halt! I then tried to restart and, although it turned over okay, it wouldn't catch and start up!
Left overnight, battery removed and given 100% trickle-charge....turns over strongly but Will Not Catch :Oops:
It's an automatic so it should start in P only. Usual green flashing rear mirror light...all seems well there. Tried a few tricks shown on Forum (hold foot to floor to clear fuel etc, tried credit card key etc). Nothing!
New Merc fuel pump fotted last year....don't know where Fuse 36 is to check that pump fuse is ok.
Ant suggestions please before I sell it for spares / repairs as it's costing me a lot lately!!!

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Possibility that broken cat monolith has turned and blocked the exhaust outlet. Car will not start with a blocked exhaust.

OP
T

tomba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. Is there any way I can unblock it in situ? I need to drive it 3 miles to the garage. Can i thump it with a mallet to get it to move/temporary unblock? Need it in garage for wednesday so I can do drive by stages if at all possible.
It's an automatic...unable to get towed....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Tow max speed 30pmh for up to 25 miles

OP
T

tomba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AA Homestart

Tow max speed 30pmh for up to 25 miles

Thanks....got the AA Homestart added...a compulsory £80.10 pending my "appeal". They checked their dashboard laptop and couldn't find whether I could be towed or not (1996 W202 C200 Automatic). The patrolman then agreed with me (you...and the handbook...state 50km per hour / 50km max...30 miles per hour/ 30 miles max distance). Not sure whether his laptop said this or he just gave up and agreed with me!
AA towbar couldn't fit to front Merc bracket so he had to lift front wheels onto a built-in trolley to tow the short trip.
In N and key to 2 (all dashboard lights "on")....MUST!!!
Got to garage...car done next day by great guys at Burdiehouse Motors in Edinburgh....two hours labour for £72 and new (ECP - £65) CAT fitted...car going great now!
CAT was the full problem for engine turning strongly but not starting at all! Engine was regurgitating it's own fumes and strangling itself :rolleyes:

p.s. AA...after a letter...agreed that I should have been offered a tow in the first place and refunded me IN FULL...good old AA, THANKS! :D

OP
T

tomba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Possibility that broken cat monolith has turned and blocked the exhaust outlet. Car will not start with a blocked exhaust.

Spot on thanks!!! This was exactly why car wouldn't start....CAT fitted and going great again :eek:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom